cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winegard SK-3005 troubles.

erald
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Maybe someone can help me with my problems.
I have an Directv winegard SK-3005 automatic dish on the roof and this thing was giving me problems the last few weeks. It found all satellites (according to the control box) but missing several channels which gave me 771 error. Basically I was missing or 99 or 103. (signal on the receiver less than 30%.)
I though was because there is some movement in the dish. But after a long email conversation with winegard they determine it are the cables A and B from the base of the dish which go inside to the base of the turret. Bypassing these things start working But you can not move the dish in that case so have to climb up the roof after the dish found the satellites and bypassthese connections.
Winegard told me this is not repairable. However I opened the base and it are just thin coax cables with standard F connectors (females) and to me I just need some new cables and mount those inside. Seems they do not sell those cables but want me to buy a whole new system.

Now the questions is does anyone knows where to buy these thin cables with connectors. I do not want to use standard coax cable since is going to be to thick to allow smooth operation.

Been searching the net but found nothing.
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
RG 179 type F

Something like this. Google RG 179 type F.

You may need a couple of new barrel connectors as well for the connections going through the base and I think one of the internal connections. Many folks have done this repair successfully but usually Winegard has said that is was repairable so I am not sure exactly what they think is wrong. You absolutely want to start by replacing the coax running down the arm first as it's a simple fix sometimes but you may already be beyond that based upon your post. Use some di-electric grease in all coax connections and it will prevent this kind of problem in the future if the fix works.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.l-com.com/audio-video-thinline-cable-assemblies-small-diameter-75-ohm-coaxial-cable-with-in-line-type-f-plugs
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ask winegard if they would sell you the cables? They sold me the thin coax that goes between the turret and the LNB.