cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are CB radios still used or now antiquated?

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
A CB radio was a requirement for a 30 day commercial caravan tour into Baja California that we signed onto.
I installed the CB in my truck. Wife broke her arm, trip was canceled.

It's a cheapie radio but works well. However, I have a magnetic base exterior antenna and I don't like it. I'm ready to remove the radio and forget about the whole thing.

(I did a nice clean install - exception is the antenna cable which snakes up from under the hood.)

Side note; there's a chance that we might do the Baja trip next year. (I have the itinerary from the caravan company.) Maybe the CB could be used then?
Is there much use for a CB on today's highways?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding "Rough language"

When my wife was alive I used a single earpiece on the CB.. That way only I listened to the harsh language .. the descriptions of the "Attractions" in the passing cars and the like. She was not bothered and the SINGLE earpiece (This was a over the ear speaker not an "Ear bud" or plug type) does not violate any state laws.. A headset would in many states
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I wish more RVers had one and listened to it. I see steps down, vents open, and low tires on RV's almost every trip and, if they are going the other way, I have no way to tell them. I have also warned trucks they have loose straps, smoking tires, etc. The wife finds it annoying when she is napping and the speaker sounds off but she is suppose to be keeping me entertained not napping 😉

H#$% I cuss too and I would rather hear a sexually graphic or profane expletive than a bunch of holy rollers blessing me.
Turret Class traveler

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have two CB's (plus a handheld without batteries) in my RV. one on 13. El-cheapo short mag mount stuck on a bar in the basement (If you can not see me forget it) 13 is the "Good Sam" channel

one on 19. "NGP" Antenna mounted on teh "A" pillar set so the tip is about 1/2 INch higher then the next highest part of the RV.. (Bridge stick and antenna combined).

Years ago when the first radio was stuck in a Maxi van I heard of a tired semi that had rolled over on the black ice to take a nap. So I started backing down.. As a result I did not develop leaky radiator or dented fenders like the folks I ended up taking home (Their cars were totaled). Deputy had a nice warm "office" to write up the crash in as well (my van)

More recently two fatal accidents about 3 miles ahead.. I hit the turn signal and exit. Nice relaxing meal and night. continued on in the AM after it had been cleared... Others.. High blood pressure and an hours long traffic jam.

YES. worth it. BIG TIME.

X1. Knowing current road conditions, traffic conditions, accidents, detours is valuable information. Knowing the locations of "bears" within 5 miles around you is important to avoid tickets is valuable. CB's allows you to talk with truckers when they want to get onto the road. Truckers have always have be helpful when I want to get onto the road by moving over a lane to let me safely merge. As a former High School principal for 35 years, I have heard worse language from High School kids than I have from truckers. Using the squech knob will protect you from floul language. Use channel 17 for the west coast, once you get east of Bakersfield use channel 19 all the way to the east coast.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
sometimes I'll try to annoy a trucker, just to break the boredom. IE I used to have a CDL until they found out my IQ was over 87. It's all in good fun.

Richard

Where's the Like Button :@

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I still have a CB in the ol Bounder. Keep it squelched down. Every once in awhile I'll hear something that may help me get in the best lane early. Or...........sometimes I'll try to annoy a trucker, just to break the boredom. IE I used to have a CDL until they found out my IQ was over 87. It's all in good fun.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
It's useful for caravaning, not much else.

hogwash
bumpy

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it's been 20 or so years since I've had a CB in my truck. I also had a magnet antenna and one day I had a noise I could not identify so took it into the chev garage for service. turns out it was the antenna on the roof that was making the noise so I took everything out and it's on the shelf somewhere around here. but like others the cussing was the main factor for removing mine.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have two CB's (plus a handheld without batteries) in my RV. one on 13. El-cheapo short mag mount stuck on a bar in the basement (If you can not see me forget it) 13 is the "Good Sam" channel

one on 19. "NGP" Antenna mounted on teh "A" pillar set so the tip is about 1/2 INch higher then the next highest part of the RV.. (Bridge stick and antenna combined).

Years ago when the first radio was stuck in a Maxi van I heard of a tired semi that had rolled over on the black ice to take a nap. So I started backing down.. As a result I did not develop leaky radiator or dented fenders like the folks I ended up taking home (Their cars were totaled). Deputy had a nice warm "office" to write up the crash in as well (my van)

More recently two fatal accidents about 3 miles ahead.. I hit the turn signal and exit. Nice relaxing meal and night. continued on in the AM after it had been cleared... Others.. High blood pressure and an hours long traffic jam.

YES. worth it. BIG TIME.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry about the BDW's arm, may it heal up good as new without complications.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to get one, keep the gain down. Don't go above an 8 1/2 or you'll blow their windows down. Also, don't be a ratchet jaw and if you're puttin the pedal to the metal you might just pass a Kojack with a Kodak. You copy good buddy?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
You already have it, why not keep it. Should you need help someday, it may come in handy.
I have used mine twice in about 15 years. Once for a radio check and once to give a trucker directions to a truck wash facility.
And it has 4 channels of weather information. In case you get bored.??

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
It's useful for caravaning, not much else.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a handheld portable eons ago, and use it once in a while for the aforementioned reason of road reports. Our GPS has traffic conditions, but not all areas are covered, so it does get some use on occasion. 10-4, copy that on the "caustic" language issue.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I tried one about 6 years ago but found the cussing to be too excessive for my family to listen to so I promptly removed it. If you get off the highway and people at the Baja event use the frequencies as they were intended, it maybe worth taking the radio.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran