cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Travel'r trouble

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning all.. We're having trouble with our Travel'r and Dish network setup. I noticed the display shows all 3 sats after alignment (110, 119, 129) but the 129 sat doesn't have an asterisk after it. Whats it trying to tell me? Can't find it in the manual, all it says is it should have one! Anyway, occasionally when turning the receiver/TV on it shows a lost signal message.. I tightened the LNB's on the arm since they were a little loose and then stowed the antenna and let it re-align and it still does it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272
14 REPLIES 14

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, Winegard tech support got back to me and said possibly 1. loose cable connection at the dish 2. reflector shifted (which I didn't check) 3. lost a LNB. Gave me some trouble-shooting info and tips. I'll let you-all know what happens. thanks for your input.

Dave
SKP # 121272

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I believe that the X2 says the max coax run is 25 feet, you might want to check the manual. If you are successful with 50 feet that's pretty good, I think.
If you are trying to run longer coax runs you might want to see if you could install some kind of a signal booster on the line to help with your problem.

My manual says 50 feet total to include trailer wiring. Using the 25 foot cable the dish came with, my trailer wiring should bring the total to right about 50. I ordered a jack to mount on the side of my slide right behind the entertainment center so I can keep my wire runs shorter and not have to run the cable through the slide seal or window. I'll have to look into the booster idea, which will probably be problematic due to the fact they power the dish off the coax as well.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Remember that there is a 20 degree spread between 110 and 129. That means you need A LOT of clear sky to locate all 3. The indication is that the antenna could find 110 and 119 but 129 is blocked or you are in the extreme NE or SE where the satellite is too low in the sky.
Thanks Bill, that's the first thing I checked. We're in Southern Utah currently so lots of clear sky! no trees or mountains in the way.

Dave
SKP # 121272

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that the X2 says the max coax run is 25 feet, you might want to check the manual. If you are successful with 50 feet that's pretty good, I think.
If you are trying to run longer coax runs you might want to see if you could install some kind of a signal booster on the line to help with your problem.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I'm watching this posting closely because I just purchased an X2 Dish and Wally receiver and am also having issues with the 129 Satellite. I've set up and used the antenna in multiple areas, to include the west desert where I had a very clear southern view no trees, and low horizon. I can pick up the satellite with a short cable run through the window, but can only get 110 and 119 if I use anything over 50 feet total coax, try to use my Bighorns factory satellite feed in either the living room or bedroom. Again, both 110 and 119 work fine, just not 129. Even went so far as to build my own cables using high grade quad shield cable and quality connectors. Seems strange the other two sats show little to no loss of signal strength with the trailer wiring, or longer coax, just the 129
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember that there is a 20 degree spread between 110 and 129. That means you need A LOT of clear sky to locate all 3. The indication is that the antenna could find 110 and 119 but 129 is blocked or you are in the extreme NE or SE where the satellite is too low in the sky.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
Thanks all. I emailed Winegard tech support. Maybe call them tomorrow during business hours.
Dave

dave, you didn't indicate...is there some obstruction between your trav'ler and the sky? tree branches and the like. 129 is lower on the horizon than 110 and 119 so it doesn't take much. the DISH FOR MY RV app allows you to "look" at the sky and see the sats thru the phone/tablet camera lens to determine if the antenna can "see" the sats.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I emailed Winegard tech support. Maybe call them tomorrow during business hours.
Dave
SKP # 121272

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm not a Dish guy so have no idea where programming is, but the same thing happens in DirecTv land on 110 that is now used only for programming into Puerto Rico. The last few years they have been fiddling with it and depending where we are, even within a 300mile radius, 110 may or may not lock.

My (Direct TV) 110 does not lock either--currently in MN.
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish may be able to help but Winegard is the manufacturer of the Trav'ler and should be contacted as this might be more of an equipment issue. Either way hope you get it figured out, in my case DW does not like RVing without all the same channels we have at home.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a Dish guy so have no idea where programming is, but the same thing happens in DirecTv land on 110 that is now used only for programming into Puerto Rico. The last few years they have been fiddling with it and depending where we are, even within a 300mile radius, 110 may or may not lock.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
Thanks rk911, I was hoping to avoid that.

Dave

I hear ya. I have a number that allegedly goes to the advanced tech support. you might give that a try.

1-800-894-9131
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rk911, I was hoping to avoid that.

Dave
SKP # 121272

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
Good morning all.. We're having trouble with our Travel'r and Dish network setup. I noticed the display shows all 3 sats after alignment (110, 119, 129) but the 129 sat doesn't have an asterisk after it. Whats it trying to tell me? Can't find it in the manual, all it says is it should have one! Anyway, occasionally when turning the receiver/TV on it shows a lost signal message.. I tightened the LNB's on the arm since they were a little loose and then stowed the antenna and let it re-align and it still does it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Dave

that means it's not locked onto that sat. result means you'll likely not get much if any HD programming and locals may be SD also. if you have a totally clear view of the sky then a call to DISH tech support is in order.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK