cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Word 2010 include date and file name at bottom of each page?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
I recently upgraded to Word 2010 and can't figure out how to get the date and file name on the bottom of each page.

In the previous version I had it set up that way but I can't seem to figure it out on this newer version with the ribbon style menu across the top.

Yes, I googled it and found some websites with info but I still can't seem to figure it out.

I'd like the date on one side and the file name on the other side.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
OK so it is not a bug... if there is a footer and you add a second footer then for some reason Quick Parts->Field is grayed out. What you need to do is Remove the extra footer by clicking the Insert tab then Footer and instead of selecting a template go to the bottom and select Remove Footer. Note the Edit Footer option here for making changes.

Re: the left margin - I don't see a way around that. You can increase the indent easily enough, but I don't see any way to decrease it separately from the document itself.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
In 2010 open your document and click the Insert Tab and click Footer and just select the first template Blank. This will leave you in the footer toolbar mode. Click on Quick Parts and click Field. If Field is grayed out it is because you have already added a Footer. I think this is a bug so you need to delete the footer and start over.

In Quick Parts->Field select File Name. Repeat for Date. You can try to put a space between the two fields and then select them and right mouse and then left click on Paragraph and select Justified for Alignment, but I couldn't get that to work so you can just use tabs to get the spacing you desire.

Dave

Thanks all for the replies, I got the above to work, mostly.

I have one document that has a messed up footer with the grayed out field as Dave mentioned. How do I delete this footer to start over?

Also, it looks like the location of the left footer entry (in my case the file name and path) is indexed in accordance with the left margin of the document. I guess I have to change the whole page margin to get the file name closer to the left edge of the page?

Also, thanks for the suggestions to use youtube for questions like this, I would not have thought about that.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the top menu select INSERT, that's just to the right of HOME. On the INSERT menu look toward the right for "footer", click that and at the bottom of the drop-down select "Edit footer". Then you will see options for file name, etc.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
In 2010 open your document and click the Insert Tab and click Footer and just select the first template Blank. This will leave you in the footer toolbar mode. Click on Quick Parts and click Field. If Field is grayed out it is because you have already added a Footer. I think this is a bug so you need to delete the footer and start over.

In Quick Parts->Field select File Name. Repeat for Date. You can try to put a space between the two fields and then select them and right mouse and then left click on Paragraph and select Justified for Alignment, but I couldn't get that to work so you can just use tabs to get the spacing you desire.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on YouTube. I'm pretty sure I can do it and will send instructions after work if you still need help. Off top of my head, try View Header/Footer; go to header or footer as desired, Insert/time-date

Again, I'll verify after work but I know the first step is to to View/Header-Footer
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Create the footer then insert document parts (don't remember the exact name). I use You Tube for all software questions. Search what you need with the program version and videos will come up. Its where I found the answer to your question when I needed the answer for work.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Try just opening a template that has the header and footer. Then you can edit and see how it's done.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been too long since I've done it to give you specifics, but look for the header and footer tabs.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.