cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp surge suppressor, 30 amp rv

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp suppressor from a previous rv. My current rv has 30 amp service. Do I need a new suppressor, or can I use a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone?
I got here as quick as I could.
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes 30 amp plugs get fried.. This is common, Does not matter if you do it as you did or if it's a 30 amp RV into a 30 amp box.. 30 amp plugs get fried.

Epically if you do not clean them.. Cleaning them is important.. I've fried a few myself.. I have since started cleaning before plugging in and I carry a spare plug to boot.

Many threads around here about fried 30 amp plugs

(MY Rv is a 50, but I also have a 30 amp cord for it which I like to use on 30 amp sites cause the cord is a superflex and way easier to wrangle than that big stiff 50)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

stevenicol
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
If it is a portable unit... use a pair of dogbones.. (one 30-50 one 50-30) and not only will it work,,, perfectly... but these devices serve multiple functions.

ONE is spike supression (Fast short transint high voltage) and the 50 amp unit (when used on a 30 amp circuit) is far far better at this than the 30 amp unit is.

If it is a hard wired......

You have two legs.. Bridge them,, The current sensors,, Put 'em both on the combined wire.. It will still work just like the above.

This IS NOT A GOOD IDEA on our last outing, there were no 50 amp plugs, only 30; so, I plugged the 30 amp male to 50 amp femail dogbone into the 30 amp plug; the 50 amp Progressive industries surge-protector was plugged into the femail side of the 30 amp to 50 amp dog-bone; our 30 amp trailer cable was plugged into this. It all worked fine for about 4 or 5 hours, then the power went out. One of the dog bones femail plugs were fried to a crisp. We purchased a 30 amp power protector this week: lesson learned.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
late bloomer wrote:
I have a 50 amp suppressor from a previous rv. My current rv has 30 amp service. Do I need a new suppressor, or can I use a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone?

Make and model would be useful.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Sure thing. I use a 50 amp portable from Progressive Industries for my 50 amp fiver and thn add dog bones, in my case 2, for my 30 amp TC.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, go for it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is a portable unit... use a pair of dogbones.. (one 30-50 one 50-30) and not only will it work,,, perfectly... but these devices serve multiple functions.

ONE is spike supression (Fast short transint high voltage) and the 50 amp unit (when used on a 30 amp circuit) is far far better at this than the 30 amp unit is.

If it is a hard wired......

You have two legs.. Bridge them,, The current sensors,, Put 'em both on the combined wire.. It will still work just like the above.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, use a dogbone.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use the dogbone, possibly in combination with a 30 to 50 to plug the suppressor into a 30A outlet.

If it's not an EMS that monitors voltage, but just a surge suppressor like a slightly glorified outlet strip surge suppressor, I'm not sure I would bother stringing together various adapters to use it. They don't provide a whole lot of value in my opinion. The EMS units that protect from overvoltage and undervoltage conditions, on the other hand, are quite worthwhile.