cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious to what age where you when you bought your first R.V...I was 27 and bought a pop up...37 now and got a TT
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle
118 REPLIES 118

ashiepoo84
Explorer
Explorer
We are 25 and 26 and just purchased our new to us class C. We're excited to get out and travel with our 3 little ones.
Ashleigh and Tyler
Our 3 youngins and 3 fur babies

"Uncle Buck" our 1979 24' Dodge Sportsman/Cameo

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I was 30 when we got our first TT, a '69 Layton 21'. We have had popups,Hi-Lo, and 4 MH since. We are now a little older now but still enjoy going. That is 44 years of RVing.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
Camped when I was little a few times, Took our kids camping shortly after returning to the states. Been tent camping last 15 years or so. Bought a pop-up cash last month (at 43), while saving for a nice class A. The plan is be able to part time in it in 2020 (at 50), and hit the road full time in 2025 (at 55). I discovered last time I went tent camping that my back is not as young as it used to be. I needed something besides the ground to sleep on.

Had the little ones in their own tents by about age 4 or 5. My son now a boyscout has been in is own tent from 3 years old. He is in the woods all the time in the summer, and a few times in the winter.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
It doesnt take long to get hooked...when I was a kid I went with my grandparents. They had a suburban and a tt. Growing up I dreamed of the day that I could take my own family camping, Now at 37 I got a suburban and a TT.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

davidcyndi
Explorer
Explorer
I am 37 and my wife is 35. We had never been camping before and decided we might give it a shot. We didn't want to rough it in the Texas heat so we went to the rv store about 1 month ago. Walked out with our TT. Tried it out and really loved it. Totally hooked now and have every weekend booked with camping trips until the 3rd week in June. Wish we would have done this a long time ago.
Tow rig - 2012 f250 6.7l turbo diesel FX4 quad cab Super Duty
Camper - 2013 Keystone Sprinter 311bhs
Grocery getter - 2012 BOSS302

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

nails
Explorer
Explorer
Wow ! ! I'm really surprised at how young you guys were when you started. I've had my share of toys, but didn't buy our first 20' TT until about 2 years ago at age ? 61 ? That was a test to see if we even liked the RV thing. And guess what, we do. Now we're in the process of getting a 5th wheel for a more permanent / comfortable mode of living.

I'm not sure if I should feel bad about starting at such a late age, or good because I still feel like acting young. Anyway, with all the little details, tricks, and techniques to learn, we'll see if you really can teach an old dog new tricks.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U with Pro Pride hitch
2013 F-250 SC, Lariat, 6.2 gas, 4:30 gear

elkabong
Explorer
Explorer
Started in my mid twenties with a stake-bed pickup. I put up 4X8 plywood sides and threw a canvas top on it with a mattress and cooler in the back (3600 mi. round trip to Mardi-Gras, no radio, 50 mph).
Went to tent and then bigger tent (got tired of sleeping on the ground).
By 30 I converted a Chevy Van (bed, sink & icebox, got tired of walking on my knees).
Went to mini Motorhome (got tired of running into myself every time I turned around).
Went to Class C Motorhome (got tired of vapor lock, spent more time in the shop than on the road).
Went to a popup towed with jeep (took it fishing, Florida, Canada, etc. got tired of setup and breakdown hassle).
Went to 32ft TT (Many thousands of miles over ten years, also many tubes of silicone, rolls of duct tape, bubble gum and bailing wire, got tired of picking up pieces off the road).
Now, Fiver in my sig. (looking forward to a little rest after all those tiring but thoroughly enjoyable previous RVs).
"TooLoose WeTrek"

Ken & Cindy
04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2wd, 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws

splinter7
Explorer
Explorer
I was 14 when my parents bought a pop up. DH and I did a lot of backpacking, tent camping, van camping. We bought a 19' TT in our 40's, then a 23' TT, and a 27' TT. At 53 we downsized to an Okanagan TC, and at 60 we got just got the Arctic Fox TC. We were able to retire early and love getting out for extended trips.

Sue
[purple]Sue & Don
Sheena - the cross-eyed wonder cat

2008 Ford Lariat F350 SRW diesel 4x4
2013 Arctic Fox 865 [/purple]

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
At 18 I bought a Jeep pick up and built a "camper" on it. A plywood box that I could sleep in.
Then had a period of tent camping.
A GMC van with a bed built into the back and cooked and did everything else outside.Would have been about 27 then.
Back to tents due to kids coming along.
Bought a 1989 Bonair hard top tent trailer, all canvas sides. Pain in the .... when canvas got wet. When doesn't it rain when camping??? Kept that for 20 years. So that covers 38 to 58.
Bought the Jayco TT in sig in 2009 at 58and the Bigfoot TC at 60. I think we'll be keeping them for several years yet.
And still have tent in the mix as well, but really like not sleeping on the ground.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome stories love to hear them...keep them coming!
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
After tent camping for several years, we bought a small pop-up. We musta been about 43 at the time. We're 56 now, so it's 16 years and counting:B
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
30--self converted a Dodge maxi-van and used a tent for move to and all over the Black Hills. Bought tt at 36, sold at 38, retired at 39. tt at 54, current truck at 58, 5er at 59. Retired again at 62+. Life is good.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
First unit at 22,now 72 and still at it in a seasonal.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
We tent camped for 18 years and traveled all over the west and sometimes the east. At 40 I bought a Coleman PU and we did the same sans the constant packing and unpacking of the truck. At 50 we bought a small TT which we still use and the PU became my hunting camp and short trip camper. I gave it to a son years ago and the DW still comments she'd occasionally like to have the PU back.

Krease
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the minority. I bought my dually when I was 24 for business. Then when I was 25 the wife "discovered" RVing and we got our 1st 5er. Now we're on our 2nd 5er (and last for many years) at age 26.
2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL