cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious to what age where you when you bought your first R.V...I was 27 and bought a pop up...37 now and got a TT
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle
118 REPLIES 118

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
I was 28 when we purchased a 17 ft TT and lost it on the third trip out. It was a single axle and had to pay two and a half years on it. Purchased my second one it was a 31 ft mobile scout with one slide in 2004 and lost my job in 2005. The wife twisted my arm to sell it, it was't a year old. Then I purchased a 2004 36 ft Mobile Suite with three slides in 2008 and still have it today and plan to use it for another twenty years. I'm 55 and also lost my job in January this year. The wife started to pressure me into selling it and I told her I would pack the dog and leave. I now have a better job and still have the dog and camper!!, ha ha!!!!

norcal10
Explorer
Explorer
My girlfriend and I bought a 1976 Ideal 24ft TT when we were 21. Sold it a couple weeks later because of too much water damage. Then bought a 1978 Starcraft pup. In November of last year I was bored and was driving by this house that I go by on the way to work and asked if the old Aloha TT was for sale. The lady said that I could have it if we got it out of her yard. So we did. Now my girlfriend and I are 22. And the proud owners of a 1965 Aloha 14ft TT. Taking it out tomorrow !
1973 Dodge D100 Club Cab 360V8
1992 Dodge Ram 250 LE - 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
1979 Nomad by Skyline 23/SC

Danasdaddy2002
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my 1st ever camper.
I am 32. It is a 26 foot TT. Loving it.
๐Ÿ™‚
Great thread.

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
kmwaterboy wrote:
Started camping with my 1st wife at 22 yrs old,in a used pop up. Later we bought a new larger pop up, a little roomier for the kids.
Now on 2nd wife and second tt. Looking to buy 5ver, does this mean its time for a new wife?

LOL lets hope not!
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

kmwaterboy
Explorer
Explorer
Started camping with my 1st wife at 22 yrs old,in a used pop up. Later we bought a new larger pop up, a little roomier for the kids.
Now on 2nd wife and second tt. Looking to buy 5ver, does this mean its time for a new wife?

zekegb
Explorer
Explorer
We were tent campers for 35 years. Mostly used backpacking equipment - 4 person and 2 person tents. Many times flew with camping gear and rented a car and toured other parts of country. Camped for 3 weeks in Europe this way.

At 62 purchased our first motor home - a 2003 Safari Trek. Very happy, wife likes it very much. I still backpack and tent camp, but not her

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Around 30 we bought a pop-up. Since then we have gone through:
pop up
small TT (no bathroom)
19, 24, 28 ft. 5er's
currently in the MH

Our son bought his first TT at about 25. He is on TT number two now.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

ripperoo
Explorer
Explorer
Tent camped until 42, bought 1988 Palomino Hardside Pop Up.

After couple years, at 44 bought a "test camper"; a used 2000 Four Winds LITE 26FS' TT.

After a year I determined I liked having a camper, so at 45 sold the "test", bought new 2011 Keystone Sprinter Select 29BH. Happy ever since.
2012 Ford F250 Super Duty, SC 4x4 XLT, 6.2L, 3.73 gears
2011 Keystone Sprinter Select 29BH

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Grew up with tents and pop-ups camping in state parks in Upstate NY (Catskill's). As dad got older he deiced his style of "camping" was a Holiday Inn. After I moved out, life was too busy and too much time on the road for camping. Two years ago our granddaughter came to live with us and it was decided she need that experience.
We tried cabins but to me it's too much like a hotel (someone else's stuff). Due to health concerns we stated looking at campers new and used. Finally settled on a 5th wheel. So at 50 I sprung for a camper. Actually it's more like a portable house, I'm not sure it really counts as camping. But the little one gets to run loose and have fun, so I guess that's all that counts.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great stories!!! Hope to read many more.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
28 when I bought the PUP. 42 now. Been camping (tents prior to the PUP) since I was an infant.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
Together my Wife and I tent camped for 14 years before we bougt our pop up. Two kids a dog and a fleetwood e2 we were 34. Now we have three kids no dog and a new Kodiak tt. Just took it out for the first time and it was way different experience than the e2. We are now 40. We must have talked about buying a tt for the last three years and finally did it. Would not trade the experiences from the past but damn I'm looking foward to the future.

Av8orlouTX
Explorer
Explorer
At 37 I bought a 2000 Hi-Lo 290b to see if I liked rving. I loved it. So last year I sold it and bought my 2013 Cedar Creek 34rlsa fiver at 38 and love it "roughing it smoothly". I did do a little tent camping as a kid.
2015 GMC Denali HD Z-71 4x4 Duramax
2004.5 Chevy 2500 CC SWB Duramax (lly)
2013 Cedar Creek 34rlsa
2003 Four Winns Funship 214

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we aren't counting "as youngsters" nor "uncle sam's" paid vacations, my first camper I owned was in 69 when I bought a VW Safari and converted it to a camper. Wife and I went all over Europe for 4 years until I could afford a Chevy with a cab over camper (72). Then it's been off and on with campers and sailboats until '11 when we bought this Mobile Suites. Will be my last one, I'm afraid.

Oh, I was 23 at the time.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

Tom-n-Holly
Explorer
Explorer
Tent camping for years. 44 years old and bought our first TT.