Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking Etiquette

Scooper31
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
We're just getting started with a new ClassB+ RV and have had one nagging question that we can't seen to easily find an answer for in the ethosphere....When boondocking in a Federal Park etc what is the accepted way to "hold" your parking spot when you travel into town or away sightseeing for the day? Should we bring along some foldable sawhorses, maybe leave a couple of cheap camp chairs set up? We intend to use our Class B as general transportation and don't intend to tow a second vehicle. Thanks and Happy New Year to all!!! Jim & Kellie
41 REPLIES 41

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Scooper31,

Welcome to RV net!

Boondocking is not quite the same as "dry" camping.

Often boondocking is finding a site that is free and without any services.

"dry" camping can be done in a paid site.

My favorite trip planer is here:

https://freecampsites.net/

agree, the OP needs to understand the differences between boondocking and dry camping. Federal Park would mean developed dry camping sites, which is not boondocking.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
No boondocking in National Parks.
I have never had a reason to mark a spot when boondocking.
There is always plenty of room.
If there isn't a lot of room, camp somewhere else.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Scooper31,

Welcome to RV net!

Boondocking is not quite the same as "dry" camping.

Often boondocking is finding a site that is free and without any services.

"dry" camping can be done in a paid site.

My favorite trip planer is here:

https://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
BLM & USFS, many State lands are open to dispersed camping. Many are not. Inquire from the dept. for maps, before you go. the USFS calls theirs MVUM ( motor vehicle use maps ) that show where and when you can camp on or use forest service land.
BLM & State lands have their own rules, of dispersed camping locations and ' marking your site'. while away for the day is accepted with personal effects
14 day stay limits are the normal, with a move of 25 miles to the next site.
I have seen this rule broken in Az. BLM, rigs a month or more in the same spot. Here in the Black Hills NF , it is enforced. A ranger will make you move.
Off Road Vehicle use on the land seems to be a concern, with wild land fire major. The areas Ive seen off limits to dispersed camping are areas with tall grass, dense forest, remote for emergency fire service.
Get out and enjoy your lands. Be respectful, do no harm. Any unnatural marker you are away for the day should do.

NatParkJunkie
Explorer III
Explorer III
second for a cheap tent. I keep it stored way in the back of my truck camper. If I want to "reserve" a legal campsite in a first come first serve campground or dispersed camping site, I will sometimes set up the tent in an obvious spot out in the open.

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
Same situation as you. We bought a cheap 2 person tent and set that up when we went on day trips. Takes up very little space.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A sign like this works for us. We clip it to post on formal campgrounds. Make sure you are registered!
Campsite Occupied
I would not leave items like a good ladder or chairs. In the old days yes, but times are changing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
I have found - all bets are off if you leave, the site becomes available. I would not intrude on a marked site but many people would.
2014 Allegro 36LA

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you carry a ladder with you, we have seen people leave those set up on the site with a posted sign that says the site is "OCCUPIED". They either had the signs made, or found them to purchase some where. They were good size and easily seen. They often do that in campgrounds too.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Generally, you can't "boondock" in the national parks.
- In the National Parks, there are formal campgrounds. Usually there is a post at your site where you put the reservation slip after you pay for the site.
- On BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land, you can often boondock. There your idea of a sawhorse with a note should generally work but no guarantees.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave two cheap bright red chairs with a note. I cable lock the chairs to something if possible. And I take a photo of the camping tag on the post and the chairs with my vehicle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leave a chair or sawhorse with a note attached and dated. Stating that you are camping here and will be back in a few hours.