cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I just empty water tanks instead of winterizing?

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Portland, where the average lows don't usually go below freezing, but you never know.

In regards to winterizing, can't I just empty the water heater tank and fresh water tanks and leave it at that? Why do I need to put antifreeze in it? Since it doesn't get too cold where I live, can I get away with doing this?

I've never winterized before, and I'd like to avoid doing it if possible.
32 REPLIES 32

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do the blow out method here but this is with my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer which has a very small fresh water setup... The shower part is my outside shower connections. I also have a cassett potie with shower combo setup which is all self contained for flushing the pot into a pull out tank. The shower combo part of it is connected to my fresh water tank... All of this drains out from the low water drain port... If I open the water heater SINK HOT SPIGOTS when draining from the low water drain ports I get almost all of the hot water to drain from its tank. Only a small amount maybe 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the tank left after draining... Never has been a problem for me when camping off grid in freezing temps outside. I suppose there may be some water at the input of the water pump but it has never been a problem for me... I am not sure where the one way valve is for the water pump - it may be built-in to the water pump. I have two lines feeding the low water drain port. One from fresh water tank and one from front of trailer where the sink and lines are at.

Have not had any freezing problems here in Norther Neck VA or on many short trips to the high country around here during the early winter months... On my short trips to high country if it is going to freeze after dark I do the blow out method and then just add fresh water to the fresh water tank the next morning when things warm up again...

The longest part of the blow out method is draining the fresh water water from the low point drains. The actual blow out takes around five minutes... Then I add pink stuff to the two P-traps I have in the sink and shower.

If I lived in colder climate locations that had many days of below freezing temps I would probably do the pink antifreeze method for sure...

Like said above it only takes one time to freeze your lines and do damage...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campfire Time wrote:
The trouble is that all it will take is one night of sub-freezing temps for more than just a few hours to crack a "T" or a valve. It's maybe a 30 minute process including blowing out the lines with air first. I get the stuff on sale for under $3 a gal, maybe $12 at most for the anti-freeze needed. Cheap insurance. You know your weather better than I do so it's your call.

Not true, if day time temps are in the mid 40's you can likely go as low as 28 degrees easly. What're doesn't freeze instantly when the temperature out side is 32 degrees.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim wrote:
I assume you are in Portland, Maine. I would winterize. Too much risk in freeze damage. Portland, Oregon, no problem.

The OP is obviously talking about Portland Oregon. In Portland Maine you would absolutely have to winterize with about 3 months of below freezing nightly lows.
In Portland Oregon, yes you can just empty and most likely that would be just fine.
E.Lee Galik

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you live, if you need to winterize. I never winterize the TT for 10 years but we lived in Huntington Beach, CA and temps never get below 48f. Here in Lancaster, CA I winterize as temps get down below freezing a few times a year. Just better safe than sorry.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The trouble is that all it will take is one night of sub-freezing temps for more than just a few hours to crack a "T" or a valve. It's maybe a 30 minute process including blowing out the lines with air first. I get the stuff on sale for under $3 a gal, maybe $12 at most for the anti-freeze needed. Cheap insurance. You know your weather better than I do so it's your call.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here in Tucson we can see temps down into the twenties a few times just about every winter. It only gets that cold for a few hours and not very often. Once we start to get sub 32 degree nights I open the low point valves and let all of the water drain from the system. This is even more effective if you drive a few miles as that helps to clear the lines. Then I add anti freeze {the pink RV stuff}, to the shower and sink drains, and both the black and gray tanks.

This leaves the rig ready to travel with nothing further to be done, other than adding more fresh water to the tank. Been "winterizing" in this fashion for 7 years and so far so good.

:C

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you are in Portland, Maine. I would winterize. Too much risk in freeze damage. Portland, Oregon, no problem.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^i like how you think. Makes the first trip extra fun in the spring!
To the OP, I'm in the same climate as you, but used this method in AK as well with no issues.
Yes you need to winterize but it's not terribly difficult.
Drain tanks and water heater. Blow out water lines through city water connection out thru faucets and shower head/toilet. Run fresh water pump dry. RV antifreeze in each drain and a gallon in each waste tank for good measure.
Extra insurance to run antifreez thru the water lines and fw tank but this has worked for my 2 campers and I've dry blocked my boat for years as well. I'd say at a minimum blow out the lines as suggested.
Average lows aren't that cold in Portland but we always get those few cold days and that's all it takes. People screw up boats and campers in much warmer climates than here by not winterizing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
juggledog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Use a small air compressor and blow out the lines, no need for the antifreeze. We use the 5er all winter and have done this several times in a winter, or like last year once! Never got cold enough after our New Years trip.

Yeah, I think this is what I'll do. I already have an air compressor, so it makes sense.

Since you're from Portland, do you have any cool spots I should take the RV over the winter? I was told it's fun to watch the storms on the coast.

Every SP on the coast is fair game, have spent the last three New Years at South Beach SP for a week.
This year should be no different.

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Use a small air compressor and blow out the lines, no need for the antifreeze. We use the 5er all winter and have done this several times in a winter, or like last year once! Never got cold enough after our New Years trip.

Yeah, I think this is what I'll do. I already have an air compressor, so it makes sense.

Since you're from Portland, do you have any cool spots I should take the RV over the winter? I was told it's fun to watch the storms on the coast.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Winterize the fun way.
By pass the water heater and drain it.
Drain the potable tank and when done close the drain.
Use the gravity fill to pour in at least two half gallons of vodka. (Actually, anything 80 proof will do.) Run water out all the taps and the shower until it tastes good. Then flush the pot until you are sure it is there. (This step is a problem for gin or vodka.) Get something cheap like RV antifreeze to pout into the traps.

When spring comes, just put water in the system and enjoy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I keep saying I' going to do this but forget to buy the extra vodka.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you can, but I,d add this to your job, blow out the lines backwards ,I use a portable air tank, don,t need a lot of pressure I hold a clean towel around the faucet and give it a nice blow of air ,first open your low point drain. pour anti in the pee traps. and some in the poo tank .and hope it don,t freeze.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You can do whatever you like, it's your rig. Two years ago I returned from Florida at the end of March. I drained everything and ran a heater a couple of cold nights. End of April I was going back south, why waste the effort.

Well I ended up with a small crack along the threads of a plastic sediment bowl on the water pump. Ended up having to replace laminate flooring. If in doubt play it safe. A ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
juggledog wrote:
I've never winterized before, and I'd like to avoid doing it if possible.

Wouldn't everyone. :W

RV antifreeze is pretty cheap so there's not really much excuse for not using it and knowing your rig's water system is properly protected. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380