Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child/baby seat confusion

Drakensberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there

We will be travelling to the US, and we are planning our first RV trip with a 2 year old. I would like more information about how to use a baby/child seat (I'm not sure of the exact US term) in a Class-B type RV.

As far as I can see, most of the seat belts in the back are lap belts. What type of car seat do we need to bring, how would we secure it, and where would it go?

I'm feeling quite daunted by this, and worried that perhaps our RV plan won't work out after all, so your input would be really appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a car seat here, don't rent, and don't bring one - different laws re safety ratings.

And 2 year olds are still safer rear facing.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean rent one when you said "hire one out", then you might want to look at purchasing one. You can likely purchase one at stores like WalMart or Target for less than long term rental would be. Once you complete using it, you can always donate it to one of the child protection agencies... foster parents would be thrilled to be given a slightly used, but otherwise new, car seat.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Drakensberg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, everyone. I definitely feel more reassured that it is still possible 🙂

The car seat we use in Switzerland only works with a shoulder strap, so I just couldn't quite understand how it would all come together. We will hire a US car seat separately to help keep things simple, as unfortunately the rental company we had to use due to availability doesn't rent them out.

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
Drakensberg wrote:
I'm feeling quite daunted by this, and worried that perhaps our RV plan won't work out after all, so your input would be really appreciated.

Don't feel daunted. Usually you can go to the local Fire Department or Police Department to have them check that the car seat is installed properly.

If the Motorhome does not have the hookups to use the tether straps, the seat belt works just as well. You can skip to about the 2 minute mark in the video Muddydogs posted if you are only using the seat belt. Both methods work fine.

-Michael

Many hospitals that provide maternity care can also check the car seat installation.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolmom42 wrote:
You will be able to anchor the base of the seat with the seat belt. A 2 yr old will be in a forward-facing high-back seat, with a tether strap & hook at the top of the back, which holds the upper portion of the back tightly to the vehicle seat. You should find a location to firmly anchor the hook, preferably a U-bolt in the floor.

Fasten the seat belt and tether strap,

then put your weight on it with one arm and snug down the straps with the other. The seat should fit VERY tightly to the vehicle seat.

A 2 yr old will be using the 5 point harness in the seat. The shoulder straps should be adjusted in a slot so that they are above the child's shoulders. The chest latch should be at armpit level. You should be able to put the thickness of your hand between the child and the chest buckle. Any more room is too loose. If the bottom fastener between the child's legs has slots for adjusting its position in the seat, it should be moved to the snuggest slot that does not pinch the child.

Any seat that you buy or rent will come with detailed instructions. If you are planning to rent a RV, you should contact the rental agency and ask for details on how the seat can be installed in the vehicle.

It is quite possible the rental agency will have the seat installed and help you adjust it for the child. However you should double-check.
I don't know where you find all these tether hooks, U bolts, and such, maybe in a class B, but my Class C ( and I believe many others) doesn't have such animals, the forward facing dinette seats, & sofa , has lap belts only & the work just fine, the only shoulder belts are in the front seats, which a child is not allowed to be in anyways.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You will be able to anchor the base of the seat with the seat belt. A 2 yr old will be in a forward-facing high-back seat, with a tether strap & hook at the top of the back, which holds the upper portion of the back tightly to the vehicle seat. You should find a location to firmly anchor the hook, preferably a U-bolt in the floor.

Fasten the seat belt and tether strap, then put your weight on it with one arm and snug down the straps with the other. The seat should fit VERY tightly to the vehicle seat.

A 2 yr old will be using the 5 point harness in the seat. The shoulder straps should be adjusted in a slot so that they are above the child's shoulders. The chest latch should be at armpit level. You should be able to put the thickness of your hand between the child and the chest buckle. Any more room is too loose. If the bottom fastener between the child's legs has slots for adjusting its position in the seat, it should be moved to the snuggest slot that does not pinch the child.

Any seat that you buy or rent will come with detailed instructions. If you are planning to rent a RV, you should contact the rental agency and ask for details on how the seat can be installed in the vehicle.

It is quite possible the rental agency will have the seat installed and help you adjust it for the child. However you should double-check.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

doublenot7
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
Drakensberg wrote:

Don't feel daunted. Usually you can go to the local Fire Department or Police Department to have them check that the car seat is installed properly.

They should have someone or a few people with a CPS certification. They will be more than happy to inspect or instruct you how to properly or best set up your safety seat. I suggest calling first however to know when they will be available due to rotating schedules, etc...

Of course follow state laws (they all have different laws covering the child seats) but beyond that, follow what the CPS certified first responder tells you. Do not follow the manufacturer recommendations, they will and do over rate themselves in this respect.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Usually you can go to the local Fire Department or Police Department

X2. They are specially trained for that service. I'm going to assume you are renting the unit. If so, ask the rental agency to supply/install the correct seat for the unit.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Drakensberg wrote:

If the Motorhome does not have the hookups to use the tether straps, the seat belt works just as well. You can skip to about the 2 minute mark in the video Muddydogs posted if you are only using the seat belt. Both methods work fine.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Many Class B motorhomes do, in fact, have seats that are compatible with the 3 point hook-up system common in almost every automobile here. In the few that do not, there is a lap belt system that works with most every car seat sold in the U S A as well. We often transport our 2 young grandsons in our Class A MH, and their seats are snugged in tightly with the seat belts provided on the rig's dinette, in compliance with every state law.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
I did a google search for "car seats in a class b motorhome" and came up with lots of useful information. One blogger states that a class "B" motorhome likely has certified seatbelts, therefore safe for carseats. Good reading. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
In the USA most child car seats have slots in the seat to run a lab belt through. Newer vehicles have the provision for the 3 point hook up on new car seats which is a strap or metal ring on the top of the vehicle seat and 2 metal rings by the seat belt locks to hook the car seat to. Not sure the make up of your car seat but if you purchase a seat in the USA it will work just fine with a lap belt. Check this video out, it shows both ways to install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zITYlg9jjB0
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.