cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you bleach / santize your hot water tank?

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
I've always just done the cold water system. And only every few years at that since I don't drink it. I had read someone bleached the hot water tank too. What do you recommend?
46 REPLIES 46

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of our systems can sit for a month at a time. If you want to drink water from a system that has sat for a month in 90deg weather go ahead.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Legionella bacteria and anaerobic bacteria can thrive in water that is below 140 degrees. Most water heaters are not set to reach that temp.
So unless you always use "city" chlorinated water it is a good idea to sanitize the water heater.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of insane madness has struck this planet? What is this need to Sanitize everything?

Sanitizing your water heater is redundant on several levels.

1. The water is replaced very quickly...usually one shower or two dish washing cycles.

2 The water is HOT

3 The water in most cases is taken out of city water systems which are heavily chlorinated enough to kill almost anything. (you can easily smell it and taste it)

? When do you ever "Sanitize" your home water heater??

The more we continue to over-sanitize everything the less resistance our bodies system will have to fight off the normal everyday bugs that man has survived for millions of years.

This must be some kind of new disease....RV Foolishness Syndrome... (RVFS) Now we just need to figure out how to sanitize for that...

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Captain_Happy wrote:
If your using city water, why are you worried about sanitizing your water system? It's already in the water your using.DAH

You home is a constant free flowing system. Bleach is added at the water treatment plant to bring all microbes within standard. By the time it reaches your house all you have is the smell of bleach. Not a level of bleach high enough to kill bacteria when used to fill a holding tank or to kill bacteria from CG well water.

Sorry but this isn't really true. It's probably what the water companies or local governments want you to think. If you can smell bleach it's enough to still have an effect. Anyone with sensitive lungs or skin can attest that public water with Chlorine or Chloramine can still have negative effects on your body. You guys can sanitize all you want, but anything that kills anything will have affect on you as you are a "thing" too. Bleach is pretty caustic. As far as washing or drying dishes, water borne bacteria won't survive when the dishes are dry. Hydrogen Peroxide is always a better choice as a disinfectant as it still kills most harmful bacteria but is less harmful to people. I don't sanitize. No negative effects. I used to use bleach for cleaning until I developed a lung disease. Could actually have been exacerbated by bleach. I am still puzzled that people would rather use very harmful chemicals that have negative affects on the body to make you more healthy. Defies logic. I guess governments and conglomerates have done a great job instilling fear to promote their products.
2013 ACE 29.2

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I never said the chances are great that you could get it period, but the chance is there. It grows in stagnant warm water and can grow in a water heater then you shower and get mist into your lungs. As for the air conditioner it does not have standing stagnant water and no atomization of water to transmit it into your lungs, so I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
If you don't you should, especially if you shower with the water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease

I had Legionnaire's in March 2006. After the fact, Dr's told me I was within 4 hours of death. It took them several days to figure out what I had. At one point they had 4 different antibiotics feeding me intravenous. Only after they did a biopsy on my lung did they finally identify what it was. Once on the right treatment, it started clearing up. I was quarantined for days, felt like a pin-cushion from all the needles and had tubs and wires running everwhere from me.

The CDC had to be notified, and through the entire ordeal, my wife back tracked our steps for the previous 3 weeks, and everywhere we'd been had to be notified, and every place had to inspected for the disease. We still think it originated form a motel in Elkhart, Indiana when we used the Hot Tub. I vividly remember the water in the tub was extremely merky, there was vapor in the air, and there was a very stale odor. We were there for a tour of the Dutchmen RV factory. It was March, snow on the ground about a foot deep. No one camping them.

The CDC checked water towers, air conditioners, and evaporation units. The building I work for is very large (4000 people have worked in that building in the past). Every inch of that building was inspected. And yes, they have evaporation towers and foggy mist coming from it all the time.

Ever since, I've been keenly atuned to my lungs. I've lost (and still have lost) about 1/4 capacity from both lungs because of this. I'm tried various breathing exercises over the years to expand my lungs, and so far, well, there's just part of my lungs that don't work. Under normal conditions, I never think about it. But when I get active and begin exerting myself, I feel like I'm suffocating again. I can't get enough air fast enough. I've never felt light headed or dizzy or anything, but sometimes it takes all I can to catch my breath.

I still split fire wood with an axe, climb ladders, and roof houses (I was on my roof today replacing shingles from a recent wind storm). I shovel snow, dirt, and gravel. I play with my grandkids, but when the activity requires more oxygen than I can give it, I just have to stop.

I play the harmonica, and after the Legionnaire's hit me, in 2006, it wasn't until about 2 years ago I finally had enough expansion in my lungs I could begin playing it again. But even with that, I still get winded.

I'm saying all this for one simple reason ... you don't get Legionnaires from RV water systems.

Edit:
The air conditioner in your camper has more of a chance to give you Legionnaire than your water system because of all the dampness and evaporation that goes on.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't you should, especially if you shower with the water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always. Do it in the spring when I dewinterize. Then once in the middle of summer. I run the sanitized freshwater tank through the entire trailer. It may not need it in the summer. But it gives me a reason to have a beer or 2 while I'm messing with the trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
....I do not drink or cook with RV water.

Then why bother doing any sanitizing at all? And? If you don't drink or cook from the RV water, do you still do dishes with it? If you are that concerned about the water being contaminated or something, then you don't want to wash dishes, and you definitely don't want to rinse your dishes with that water either. Come to think of it, if it WERE really that contaminated it was not safe to drink, I wouldn't be bathing in it either! Do you use the on-board water to brush your teeth? Bathe? and wash dishes?

If all the answers are "No", then I'll complement you on your consistency!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a water fill like this: vent
what do you think goes in that hole?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
If your using city water, why are you worried about sanitizing your water system? It's already in the water your using.DAH

You home is a constant free flowing system. Bleach is added at the water treatment plant to bring all microbes within standard. By the time it reaches your house all you have is the smell of bleach. Not a level of bleach high enough to kill bacteria when used to fill a holding tank or to kill bacteria from CG well water.

You RV is NOT a free lowing water source it is a "plastic" "holding" tank subjected to bacteria bloom because plastic is porous. The RV water holding tank also takes on the ambient temperature of the outside. The warmer it is outside the better of a petrie dish it becomes for bacteria build up.

I sanitize often. Bleach in tank and run thru all of RV including the hot water heater. I do not drink or cook with RV water.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the inside of your water hoses sometime -- you may want to also put some bleach inside your hose. We also use both city/treated water and well water. We do use a whole house filter. We have had contamination from a forestry campground and then had algae and etc growing inside everything and had green water. We DO treat the entire water system including the water heater at least 2X per year, including the hose which does get gunk growing in it. The water goes thru that before it gets to our filter. If using city water sometimes took care of any problems, we wouldn't have ever had a problem. We are full-time so our system doesn't sit unused.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
slacker cruster wrote:
I was worried the bleach would interact with the hot tank, so that was what was holding me back.
The water heater is not turned on during the sanitizing. Only after the system has been rinsed.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you would ever cut apart the fill and vent hoses, then you might well see the biological garden growing in there. I have seen enough for me to sanitize the system all the way to overflowing.

That rain water and whatever, that makes it's way down the poorly designed vents, has no chlorine.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No.

I drink from my 30 year old garden hose too!

But I do occasionally bleach the black tank! (really)