cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog Attack

JG
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping in a area in our Casita & found an Apple Festival was going on. We grabbed out little dog and we were on our way. It was at an apple farm. It was crowded and folks had there dogs with them on a lease. As we were leaving I noticed a man sitting on a loading dock,with 2 Pitbull looking dogs. My wife told me to stop & we need to go another way. A couple walked by us with a black & white collie past the 2 large dogs. The one large dog alerted and the owner put his arm around both dogs necks. The larger dog backed away & the owner tried to stop him but the dog was to powerful. It pulled out of it's harness and attacked the collie in a matter of seconds. It was horrible. The leg & shoulder was injured on the Collie by the time the big dog was pulled away. Some one got a towel & wrapped the dog up & the owner got on her phone to find a emergency vet in the area. What if this had been a child? If your dog is to big to control, leave it at home.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969
53 REPLIES 53

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
My point was the dog was to strong for it's owner.

This is a BIG bugaboo of mine! We had a neighbor who couldn't control her rottie. He wasn't aggressive, just big and powerful. I'm not saying that smaller people shouldn't have big dogs but if you can't control it then you shouldn't have it.

Anyone of any size who can't control their dog, of any size, should not have a dog. I've seen many owners of small dogs who can't grab them when they attack a large dog.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I like these stories where there are "pitbull looking dogs" and "large" dogs therefore they are all mean
But my little fluffy wouldn't hurt a fly
Wonder if this story would be different if it were 2 small dogs that attacked my large dog.
And yes it's happened with my doberman when I used to take him to the dog park.
All the little dogs would go up and nip at his legs and harass him.
Dog owners thought it was funny.
One lady even took down my license plate number in case anything happened with my large mean doberman looking dog.
All he wanted to do was play

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
People who find they have dangerous aggressive dogs should be able to have them put down without being lectured by animal right people. Our daughter had an unpredictable, crazy acting Beagle then had a baby. Had a heck of a time finding a kennel to take it. They were treated like it was a child they were trying t get rid of.
Jayco-noslide

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My point was the dog was to strong for it's owner.

This is a BIG bugaboo of mine! We had a neighbor who couldn't control her rottie. He wasn't aggressive, just big and powerful. I'm not saying that smaller people shouldn't have big dogs but if you can't control it then you shouldn't have it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever heard an aggressive dog owner after an attack say "oh I knew Cujo would do that he has always been kind of snotty"?
NO they say I don't understand tinker bell has never been aggressive he sleeps with my babies every night.
There are certain breeds that when they do attack they are relentless and injuries or death result
Don't tell how many times you have been bitten by a Chihuahua, nobody has ever been killed by a 5# dog.

Jesseannie

As an afterthought have you noticed how many of these Bully breeds attack their own family members or friends? I will never trust them.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
In many cases where a dog attack occurs, the irresponsible owner is the problem. With this type owner, pet has no training, often times no vet care/vaccinations, and the owner, little income/assets. It leaves the injured party almost no recourse to recover losses. The attacking dog may be confiscated/put to death, but little comfort for the victim, be it your pet, child, or yourself. Sadly the irresponsible owner will eventually just get another dog.

Jerry

Yes surely it it couldn't be because certian breeds are bred and have instincs to kill.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbopp wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Regrettably we seem to be living in a dog loving world where dogs are being given more and more freedom.

Not just dogs. Call them 'comfort animals' and they have more rights than humans. 🙂

America will self destruct from Political Correctness.

Don't go to Europe then. They will take their dogs into stores, restaurants, pubs, etc...Of course, we have never seen one that isn't well behaved.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
DownTheAvenue wrote:

There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners. Having said that, there are certain breeds that have a propensity towards certain behaviors. However, each dog is an individual with its own personality. The wisest thing is to never put your dog into any situation where it could be in danger as the OP describes, or put your dog in a situation that makes it scared, over-stimulated, feeling unsafe, or even just uncomfortable. The end result may be like the original post.

Actually, most times, it's the owner projecting what the breed is supposed to be.

A lot of pitbull owners want a big tough dog...guess what the dog figures that out and does what the owner wants.

We have friends who run a pitbull rescue and their family dogs are the sweetest things...but they are properly trained and they don't accept any aggression.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
my dog is my best friend and I look out for her all the time. but i'm going to tell you pit bulls are dangerous. I don't care what statistics you want to pull up they are still a more aggressive breed that other dogs. I live in a smaller costal town and we have a homeless problem,and lot of the homeless have pit bulls. one got away from its owner and attack a woman walking two dogs, it killed the two mid sized dogs in less than a minute. this happened right outside my work place. I got the woman back out of the way and the dog was going nuts. luckily there was a police officer near by and he destroyed the dog. i could go on for pages about this just in my area not to mention all the news stories you here or don't here. you sure don't here about any of grandmas Shazitsus killing anything.
Jay D.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
None of this is new. Been this way forever in my experience, which should not be confused with YOUR experience.

In the late 70s I was a vendor at a Renaissance Festivals. At one in particular dogs were allowed, but had to be leashed at all times. This guy came in with a German shepherd he immediately let run free. It was a well behaved but not well trained dog. Unfortunately there was an attraction there that was giving rides in a donkey cart, who asked me to help corral the dog because it’s presence was spooking his donkey.

I approached the dog’s owner with a request to leash the dog and was rebuffed with a claim the dog was safe. I had to explain that there was this donkey cart, and was interrupted but a look of horror and an exclamation “he wouldn’t hurt my dog, would he?”

Took several minutes to explain that the dog wasn’t at risk, it was all the people who’d get run over by the panicked donkey cart, due to the predator-prey relationship between dogs and donkeys, and he’d be the target of lots of lawsuits.

Ignorance is and always has been rampant. Fortunately it is curable with patience.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Regrettably we seem to be living in a dog loving world where dogs are being given more and more freedom.

Not just dogs. Call them 'comfort animals' and they have more rights than humans. 🙂

Nothing to do with political correctedness. This is simply a case of dogs being somewhere dogs really shouldn't be and problems occurring because people won't acknowledge that their dogs aren't perfect and assuming they can handle any situation with them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JG
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Then reread the post. Are you blinded by your love of dogs?

Read it quite clearly and understood it quite well. Nope, bashing pit bulls is no different than bashing KOA campgrounds. Some are bad, some are good, some are in-between. Does nothing but fuel flames of an unneeded fire.

On a different tangent, why are dogs at an Apple Festival to begin with?

This is the better question to address. One bad dog can ruin it for the rest. I'm often at events that allow dogs. Mine are generally not with me at such gatherings as I'd rather not have the responsibility. I've seen dogs that shouldn't be there a few times but the overwhelming majority of the time there have been no issues. I agree that almost always it's the stupidity of the owner that's at fault. I am not just a dog lover but a dog person. However, I sometimes question the fairness of having dogs at these events to those who dislike, are allergic to or are afraid of dogs. I don't subscribe to the mantra "if my dog can't go then I won't go". Expecting everyone to adore and be comfortable with your dog is selfish and disrespectful.

I wasn't bashing Pit bulls.That was my description of the dog. My sister has a sweet dog it is a Pit Bull. My point was the dog was to strong for it's owner.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Sometimes, I wish I got those forum errors everyone's talking about...

My unofficial vote for funny post of the year!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joke time (This thread needs on)

Man sitting on park bench Dog sitting beside bench
2nd man asks "Does your dog bite?"
First man replies "No, My dog does not bite"
Second man goes to sit down and the dog bites him seriously.
He says to first man "I thought you said your dog does not bite"

First man replies: "He does not.. that's not my dog, my dog is at home".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times