cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't forget the KISS principle

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Got the Monaco out last weekend to get it ready for a trip. Had it in the driveway hooked up to shore power for packing, etc. This morning, I pulled it out to hook up the toad and check all systems. The frig was alarming (it has the automatic function and switches over to LP when it detects there is not electricity). The menu said "no flame." Great, double check that i turned on the LP, LP is on. Now, I'm thinking the igniter is broke, the line is blocked, etc etc. I really don't want to dig out the manual just before leaving on a trip, so I turn off the frig and go into the house to get ready for work. Then it occurs to me, I have not used the MH for several months, maybe the propane needed to be bled. I turned on the burners, allowed them to run for a minute or so, turned the frig back on, and bingo, everything is OK. I write this to possibly help someone out who, like me, who is not real mechanically oriented, and often the problem as really simple.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd
5 REPLIES 5

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for sharing. Good advice.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Propane system needs a demand placed on it to establish flow after non use.
Stove top burners is easiest method to do this.

Other thing to remember when prepping a rig.........Fridge.
If turning it on to cool down LEVEL the RV first.
Off level operation will kill an absorption fridge. Even 20 mins of off level operation can cause damage which is accumulative and permanent
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I always light the stove FIRST.. let burn for 3 minutes, then the refrigerator, furnace, water heater... or whatever is needed.

even 1 month ... will take 30 second to 1 minute to get the stove to light.
I guess propane goes stale quickly in the pipe lines...

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turning on the stove burners solves the issue rather quickly. I learned this as a newbie when unplugging from shore power just prior to leaving on a trip. Called Camping World in a panic and fortunately got a nice person who explained it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You will need to cycle the refer a few times to get the LP to the burner. Make take 5-10 times.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker