Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driver's license requirements & residency

FlutterBye
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
This is my first post. My husband and I hope to be RV'ing in a while, and are learning about everything before we get started. I have two questions I'd like to pose right now.
Does it require a special license to drive say, a 28 or 30 ft. RV?

And if we plan on doing it full time, I'd like to change our 'residency' to the state of Oregon. How do I go about that?
Thanks to any and all that can help.
7 REPLIES 7

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Having just done this switch from California to Oregon.....it was very easy. You need to show that you have resided in Oregon for 6 months....a bank account for 6 months. I had spoken with DMV in Salem before I did this and she had told me I needed a lot of different stuff. When I went to the DMV office they had told me what I needed and it just a partial of what I was told I needed! You will have stamped on the driver's license..."continuous traveler". Our license now shows that plus our mailing address which is also in Oregon. We use a mail forwarding service in Oregon also. We showed proof of insurance....took the simple written test/eye test and that was it. We got the 5ver licensed and the truck and another vehicle and got signed up to vote and it took all of 1 1/2 hours to do. The agents at the DMV office knew exactly what we needed and everything went smooth!!
cpaulsen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The popular states of domicile for full-timers are Florida, Texas and South Dakota.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Neither FL or OR require a special licence so you would be OK in the other 48.
Many RVers move to Florida, not away from it. Other than no sales tax on the purchase of the RV, what do you think the advantages might be in OR?
Unlike many northern states that make sure you spend 6 months plus a day in your tax dodge state, I doubt FL will care if you move.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a summary of state-by-state operators license rules. Some errors here.

On edit: Jim was faster and his link is better!

Many states require a stepped up license level for a motor home, particularly if there is a towed vehicle.

Fifth wheels over 10k also require a different class in many states, however it seems a large number of RV'ers are unaware of these laws.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you get licensed in Oregon, you do not need a commercial driver's license or special endorsement. This link will show you the requirements by state:

Driver's License Requirements by State

Each state has a link to the licensing requirements so you can verify the information as posted.

To get a driver's license in Oregon, you must be a resident. This link will give you information on the requirements for obtaining a license along with residency requirements:

Oregon DL Info

It's always best to check with the officials of the state you are contemplating getting your license or registering your vehicle. Take any information you get from a public forum with appropriate skepticism.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak for other states but Vermont does not require a special license to drive an RV. AFAIK, other states also do not.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to the Fulltime forum and read there. Search 'oregon' in that forum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman