cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT length & campsite restrictions

LaEst_CO
Explorer
Explorer
OK so here is a complete newbie question. When a campsite says that their sites are for <30' RV's, does that take into account the tow vehicle as well? I am not sure if I need to go with the larger sites as my TT is 30' long but that does not include my truck.
14 REPLIES 14

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
The last time this topic came up, I think there was a poster or two who said they had found that "it depends"...sometimes it's the true length of the site, sometimes it's a figure where the length of the TV is figured in.

...the advice was ask if you want to be sure and usually they have a quick answer for you.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
That is something you HAVE to CALL each CG to find out what 'their' requirements are and clarification before you head out to that CG.

Some will let you park the TT in the site and the TV along side some will NOT let you park anything off the site, and on and on and on.I got so tired of getting to a CG only to find out I couldn't fit into any of their sites.

When I had my TT and now with my MH towing:

What I do is add up the total length of my set up and add 10 and call the CG if they have a 'pull thru' with that length.

IMHO this is the only way to go to avoid the can't fit, jockying/
backing to get in the site and figuring out where to put the TV or toad, etc.

Not to mention just how relaxing it is to simply pull in, park and enjoy the extra CG space and when your are ready to leave then just pull straight out.

Pull thru CG sites are for EVERYONE to use so take advantage of them! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things we learned when we started volunteering is that some sites or campgrounds might be size restricted because they simply don't want bigger trailers in the campground.

Often that has more to do with the tightness of turns in the CG, the width of the roads, the room to maneuver a trailer past obstacles, etc - than the actual campsite.

There is a loop in a favorite small COE campground we visit where some 35 ft TT came make one very obstructed turn, and most 35 ft 5th wheel trailers cannot - because the 5er driver cannot swing wide enough to keep the trailer from making contact with a tree on the inside of the turn. Every campsite on the loop can easily hold a 45 ft long rig and a 22 ft long TV. But the loop is restricted to trailers 33 ft or shorter.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
LaEst_CO wrote:
When a campsite says that their sites are for <30' RV's, does that take into account the tow vehicle as well? I am not sure if I need to go with the larger sites as my TT is 30' long but that does not include my truck.

Think about it for a moment and you'll answer your own question ๐Ÿ˜‰ ... if a campsite is rated "for <30' RV's" then that would have to refer just the trailer itself, otherwise if that rating included the length your truck, say ~ 20', that would mean the trailer could only be 10' long, which obviously makes no sense at all. As has already been noted, ratings on campsite dimensions are very general at best and often when you get there aren't even close to reality. Particularly if there's no solid object such as a tree trunk or large boulder at the rear of the parking pad you can often "buy" more space by backing the trailer even further back into the site with that part of the trailer aft of the axles overhanging beyond the rear of the pad, thereby allowing more space at the front for parking your truck. Every situation is different though and in the years we've been camping, places we've been here in Canada and in the US, I've concluded that any trailer 25' coupler to bumper can be parked on pretty well any campsite we might ever choose or be assigned, other than a terraced tent site (for obvious reasons), but as the trailer length extends beyond that there may be some times when a little more care is required when selecting a suitable site. That said, I don't recall a single time in the years we owned our KZ Spree (26' 9" coupler to bumper) that I wasn't able to place it on any campsite we had. As for the truck, only a couple of times have I had to park it away from our campsite, otherwise I've always managed to snug it in at the front of the trailer and keep it off the campsite road. Our current trailer is just 22' 6" coupler to bumper so I no longer ever give campsite dimensions any thought at all. :B

Like eating a soup sandwich
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In traveling full-time for 16+ years we've never found that stated size campsites are true or uniform from park to park. It's just a guess on your part.

One of our volunteering gigs in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park was to actually measure the campsites and make a list of what size RV with vehicle would fit in that site. It was amazing comparing our recommendations to the old list they used.

We've always preferred public parks - national, state, national forests, etc. and for the most part, a site with a 35' max could fit our 40' motorhome with the Jeep usually parked in front of the MH and angled across the front. We became pretty creative in parking the Jeep! If you have a big dually truck then you probably couldn't park angled like that. Most campgrounds request that you park in the parking area - not in the vegetation.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I only consider the length of our motorhome and not the car we are towing and so far have not had a site we couldn't fit into.
Jayco-noslide

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LaEst_CO wrote:
When a campsite says that their sites are for <30' RV's, does that take into account the tow vehicle as well? I am not sure if I need to go with the larger sites as my TT is 30' long but that does not include my truck.

Think about it for a moment and you'll answer your own question ๐Ÿ˜‰ ... if a campsite is rated "for <30' RV's" then that would have to refer just the trailer itself, otherwise if that rating included the length your truck, say ~ 20', that would mean the trailer could only be 10' long, which obviously makes no sense at all. As has already been noted, ratings on campsite dimensions are very general at best and often when you get there aren't even close to reality. Particularly if there's no solid object such as a tree trunk or large boulder at the rear of the parking pad you can often "buy" more space by backing the trailer even further back into the site with that part of the trailer aft of the axles overhanging beyond the rear of the pad, thereby allowing more space at the front for parking your truck. Every situation is different though and in the years we've been camping, places we've been here in Canada and in the US, I've concluded that any trailer 25' coupler to bumper can be parked on pretty well any campsite we might ever choose or be assigned, other than a terraced tent site (for obvious reasons), but as the trailer length extends beyond that there may be some times when a little more care is required when selecting a suitable site. That said, I don't recall a single time in the years we owned our KZ Spree (26' 9" coupler to bumper) that I wasn't able to place it on any campsite we had. As for the truck, only a couple of times have I had to park it away from our campsite, otherwise I've always managed to snug it in at the front of the trailer and keep it off the campsite road. Our current trailer is just 22' 6" coupler to bumper so I no longer ever give campsite dimensions any thought at all. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
With Wa. State CG's, the stated length has almost nothing to do with reality.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Once in awhile you also see 30 foot trailer, TV must park in lot but this is rare. One campground we like has a 32 foot max limit. My trailer is 35 but that includes the hitch. They told me I would be fine but it seems a little tight so we have not gone..
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Size is a guide. A 30' pad length can accommodate much longer if the back past the wheels hangs out past the pad end. There is always room to park the TV sort of beside or across the front.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

LaEst_CO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that helps!

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
generally it is the total length of the trailer and it includes space for 1 vehicle to park
I suggest you visit rv park reviews and look up the site you like
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 34' 5th wheel...........I always get a 34' or longer site.

It's about the trailer length not the combo truck/trailer.

Have found that odd one on occasion which was just long enough and had to park truck sideways but usually room for truck
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
The length limits posted for a campground could come from a number of reasons and possibly no reason at all.

It could be the length of the parking spur, turning radius of a curve in the loop road through the campground, a short deep dip or bump, Or it could be from 30 years ago and no one bothered to update the number after the campground was remodeled to modern specs.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~