cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electrical question

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have 50 amp service at my pole barn, where my rv will be stored. My rv is a 30 amp tt. Would I be better off using a 50 amp surge protector, then plugging in a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter; or, using the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, then plugging in a 30 amp surge protector?

Surge protectors are progressive industries ssp 30xl or ssp 50xl.
I got here as quick as I could.
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:

Thank you for that, we need yet another comment from folks that don't understand. Having seen first hand the poor materials and workmanship in RV wiring, just keep on believing in and recommending half wit practices. If one knows for SURE that all wiring from the cord plug to the inside main breaker is 100% good and protected, then the 50 amp adapter is somewhat safe. Going on a public forum and suggesting this is 100% safe to folks that have no clue is irresponsible. Of course electricity is a mystery to me, I have only done 100% of the wiring when I built my home, machine shop and out buildings.

Good for you Lynnmor. You're not the only one who's played sparkey, it's satisfying knowing one can do their own work.
If you understand electricity, the exact same potential is there for a live short even with a lower amp source. Ever smoked a household plug?
By this logic, your home, machine shop and outbuildings should have a plethora of 15-20A "services" and the distribution lines to the services should be a larger plethora of 15-20A services from the substation to each house with it's slew of 15 A services. Where do you stop it and rely on the safeguards (breakers and fuses) to increase the efficiency of electricity transmission?

And to your point, YOU may know that the wiring in your house is 100% right (or not, unless you've never made a mistake before), but I can assure you that there are just as many "mistakes" in residential wiring or more than in RVs which are fabricated in a far more controlled atmosphere. Our current home and a couple others in the past are prime examples of it. Like my side shop that has 1 circuit off the sub panel run to it for a couple lights, and couple outlets. It randomly, once every couple years, loses power for a few hours or a few days. Through trouble shooting and visual inspection of the 90% of the wire that's exposed, there's no issue, no switch leg ran to an obscure switch somewhere, nada. It is the same phenomena as the coach lights at the top of the driveway that for the first several years after we moved in, only worked through the summer months. Now they work year round, without fail for the last couple years. I presumed there was a short underground (direct bury) somewhere that presented itself once the rainy season hit here. That theory is now largely de-bunked.
Your insistence on the subject as it pertains to these posts is the same type of paranoia (for lack of a better word, maybe lack of understanding would be better, but you claim to be knowledgeable...) that is so rampant with a select number of members here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Scott, you explained it perfectly. Electricity is a mystery to some though, including some of the responders.

Thank you for that, we need yet another comment from folks that don't understand. Having seen first hand the poor materials and workmanship in RV wiring, just keep on believing in and recommending half wit practices. If one knows for SURE that all wiring from the cord plug to the inside main breaker is 100% good and protected, then the 50 amp adapter is somewhat safe. Going on a public forum and suggesting this is 100% safe to folks that have no clue is irresponsible. Of course electricity is a mystery to me, I have only done 100% of the wiring when I built my home, machine shop and out buildings.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Scott, you explained it perfectly. Electricity is a mystery to some though, including some of the responders.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my point:

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
ScottG wrote:

There is no danger at all in using the 30A cord that came with his RV to plug into 50A.

Of course I understand the situation, and also understand that 10 gauge wire is not rated for 50 amps. While a problem may never happen, I am not the one to promote the use of undersized components. After seeing poor installations of RV inlets and any manner of connections, I will let it to others to recommend this type of thing. If we lived in a perfect world, circuit breakers would not be needed.

Respectfully, your looking at this backwards from what is actually happening. There's nothing undersized when a 30A rig plugs into 50A. It's oversized. As you know, a 50A circuit will have everything bigger and will carry the load even better. As I indicated before, the 50A breaker plays no role in protecting the 30A circuit - that's not its job.
It's just like when you plug in an extension cord, lamp or other small item at home. The ext cord or lamp and its wiring are far smaller than the house wiring. The 15A breaker for that circuit is only there to protect the house wiring and not the lamp.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for no adapter. Install the proper 30 amp RV connector.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

There is no danger at all in using the 30A cord that came with his RV to plug into 50A.

Of course I understand the situation, and also understand that 10 gauge wire is not rated for 50 amps. While a problem may never happen, I am not the one to promote the use of undersized components. After seeing poor installations of RV inlets and any manner of connections, I will let it to others to recommend this type of thing. If we lived in a perfect world, circuit breakers would not be needed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
ScottG wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
If you use an adapter to accommodate plugging your 30amp shore power into a 50amp circuit you have a shore cord rated for 30amps "protected" by a 50 amp breaker. Not effective protection.....

The 30A main breaker in the RV keeps it from pulling more than 30A through the cord.
So he is protected.

Since he mentioned only the cord, the statement is correct. While it is very unlikely that the 30 amp cord will ever be overloaded, breakers are for unlikely events such as a short circuit or being used improperly such as connecting it to a higher load.

The OP is asking about using an adapter and surge protector.
The OP is also talking about plugging in his 30A RV to a 50A receptacle. This is a totally safe, legal and the adapter (which is 10AWG) is both UL and CSA approved.

Here's where I suspect your both making your mistake. It seems like you believe the 50A breaker is there to protect the cord or load.
It isn't. The breaker in your panel is never intended to protect the load. It's there soley to protect the wiring and receptacles in its own circuit and nothing beyond.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
After fifteen years of seeing what inept people can do to campground power systems, I will not plug my unit in without a Progressive Industries EMS between me and the box.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
If you use an adapter to accommodate plugging your 30amp shore power into a 50amp circuit you have a shore cord rated for 30amps "protected" by a 50 amp breaker. Not effective protection.....

The 30A main breaker in the RV keeps it from pulling more than 30A through the cord.
So he is protected.

Since he mentioned only the cord, the statement is correct. While it is very unlikely that the 30 amp cord will ever be overloaded, breakers are for unlikely events such as a short circuit or being used improperly such as connecting it to a higher load.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
PNW_Steve wrote:
I would suggest installing a 30amp receptacle and using a 30amp surge protector.

The adapters that allow you to plug into a lower rated circuit are fine. If you plug your 30amp into a 20amp receptacle using an adapter you have a shore cord rated for 30amps protected by a 20amp breaker. No problem.

When you go the other way it can be hazardous. If you use an adapter to accommodate plugging your 30amp shore power into a 50amp circuit you have a shower cord rated for 30amps "protected" by a 50 amp breaker. Not effective protection.....

So he is protected.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
whiteeye42 wrote:
first question is the 50 amp plug in the pole barn wired for the trailer or is it wired frow say a welder or a dryer it won't work and it will burn up your trailer because you would be pluging in a true 240 volt plug what you need is the the plug for the trailer which is 2 seprate 120 volt legs so before you plug in make sure it is the right set up.

Uh. Well... If it's a 3 wire outlet yes. but if it's a 4 wire outlet then the outlet I'm plugged into now is 50 amps at 240 or 120/120 volts .

and if it is a 240 volt 3-wire outlet.. The Surge Guard will not allow him to connect. It will fault out on him both brands
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest installing a 30amp receptacle and using a 30amp surge protector.

The adapters that allow you to plug into a lower rated circuit are fine. If you plug your 30amp into a 20amp receptacle using an adapter you have a shore cord rated for 30amps protected by a 20amp breaker. No problem.

When you go the other way it can be hazardous. If you use an adapter to accommodate plugging your 30amp shore power into a 50amp circuit you have a shower cord rated for 30amps "protected" by a 50 amp breaker. Not effective protection.....
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
()
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map