cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First mountain coming up

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Will be hittin g the Bighorns soon and am still a bit confused about gears. I'm in a class c gas and it has a way to shift into m1 to m6. Owner said to keep it around 2500 rpm. So going uphill do I shift down from m6 to a lower gear m5/4/3/2/1 and the reverse it going downhill (shift up to 2/3/4/5/6)? Sorry, been manual transmission in a car my whole life.

Will be going eastbound on 16 through the Bighorns.

Thanks
Sleeping our way across the US
24 REPLIES 24

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
SleepyBadger wrote:
2012 Coachmen Freelander. Looks like a chevy 4500?

Probably has the 6.0 Chevy gas motor and I assume with the 6 speed auto. Put it in Tow/Haul (I would always turn it on, they turn off every time you turn off the motor). Then just let the computer shift it for you. If it hunts for a gear then manually select one. That has more will need to be turning 3k+ rpm going up a mountain. Let it do it, that's where its power band is! And coming down keep it in a gear that let's the engine hold it at a safe speed.

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Turn on tow/haul and let it downshift all by itself. Going down you may need to manually downshift to maintain speed too.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow haul is your friend...use it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
SleepyBadger wrote:
Yes. It has tow haul mode. Turn it on?

And shift down means go from 6 to 5/4/3/2/1. Correct?

Yes, let it do the work.It should handle the downshifts about 90% of the time.

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Coachmen Freelander. Looks like a chevy 4500?

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. It has tow haul mode. Turn it on?

And shift down means go from 6 to 5/4/3/2/1. Correct?

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Tow / Haul if equipped both up and down !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Does the unit have a "Tow/haul" mode?

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Manually shift down to maintain rpm just like a stick.
Same for going down. Let the engine/tranny do the work and don't ride the service brakes.
You can shift your automatic transmission just as you would a stick.
I do it all the time even on my car. My brakes last for a very long time and never any tranny problems.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What chassis and drive train?
Generally speaking, manually shift the transmission to maintain speed at the 2500 RPM number you were told. Going down hills the general truckers rule is go down in the same geat you used going up. DO NOT ride the brakes going down. If you do you will find yourself with no brakes. Instead, brake hard to bring yourself to 10-15 MPH below your desired speed, get off the brakes and let it coast using engine compression braking to help hold speed. Once you get above the posted speed, brake hard again. Repeat as necessary.