cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First slug of RV supplies for a first timer. What do I need?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Supplying my new TT.

This is what I have on my list:

Water inlet hose
Water pressure regulator
Upgraded sewer/black line
RV level
Leveling block set
Wheel chocks
Jack cap/block
RV toilet paper
RV toilet cleaner
Black tank/toilet chemicals
Grey tank deodrizer/chemical
Scissor jack socket drill adapter

Anything else I need that is RV specific (obviously not talking about things like towels, plates, hand soap, etc).
46 REPLIES 46

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Spare wheel bearing and seal for the trailer axle.....the list could go on and on.

And I thought I was bad... 😉
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Spare wheel bearing and seal for the trailer axle.....the list could go on and on.
On big trips I pack more tools and parts than one probably should, lol.
Bottle jack is handy sometimes too.
But keeping it to just “camping” related items. To the OP, start small and build up as you need things, or your first trip will be carting the whole house and shop in your RV!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
An assortment of fuses for both the trailer and tow vehicle. Also, spare tail light and brake light bulbs for the trailer.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
Stupid question but after dumping black and flushing grey through the sewer hose, how do you store the hose without it dripping its... contents... everywhere?

It's not bad. Flush the soapy gray water thru, disconnect, elevate, shake it out and put it away. It's not like it's dripping poo when you're done. Mine stores in a compartment that drains, I see a lot of people put them in a garbage bag too.

After draining the hoses, I hook the 2 ends together, then seal them up in a plastic bin.
Eventually you’ll want to take inventory of all the fuses you have and make sure you have a spare for each type. I learned this one the hard way on a trip out west.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talk about supple and easy to coil! These new metal hoses are amazing.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As for the stinky slinky, it lives inside the rear bumper, out of sight out of mind.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
You need a water hose to fill your fresh water tank, or to connect to your camper. However, if you are accustom to drinking directly from the garden hose laying in your yard, then why spend a fortune, just because it's colored white?

The white hose is much more supple and easy to coil up and store. Also, it does not contain phthalates, BPA, or lead like a regular garden hose. These substances leach into the water within the hose at levels well above those considered safe, especially for children, so rather than take a chance, I'll go with the white hose for a couple bucks more.

Clicky

A lot of manufacturers are phasing out these chemicals, and most hoses these days tell you on the packaging if they are suitable for potable water.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rvshrinker wrote:
Stupid question but after dumping black and flushing grey through the sewer hose, how do you store the hose without it dripping its... contents... everywhere?

It's not bad. Flush the soapy gray water thru, disconnect, elevate, shake it out and put it away. It's not like it's dripping poo when you're done. Mine stores in a compartment that drains, I see a lot of people put them in a garbage bag too.

So exactly what Dutchman, walk dog and Scott said.....plus duct tape, beer and tools.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Can you use your vehicle jack on your TT ? Does the vehicle lug wrench fit the TT lugs ?

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Easy one. I got a rubber grip screwdriver that has the square "r" tip. RV screws have a square. Not phillips or slotted. It stays in a central drawer. Amazing how often I use it.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
a way to draft water from one source to your trailer, compass, light weight floor jack that can lift your trailer, 4 way, simple axe, pry bar. DUCK tape! Also the green goo as in fix a flat.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My tip is to never flush your sewer hose with a garden hose. That's the only time I have been splashed and it's totally not needed.
Dump the black first and then dump the grey through it.
If 30~50+ gallons of soapy water aren't enough to flush it then nothing is.
It just doesn't need to be any cleaner than that.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Camp in your driveway for a couple of nights. When you need something that you don't have aboard, run in the house and get it. Keep a list of the things you have "filched" from the house so you can replace them.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
BEER

X2
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H