cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water holding tank overflow HELP please

Iowa_Cowgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to RVing, am getting ready to go camping tomorrow morning. I filled the fresh water holding tank this evening. I ran the hose pretty fast and my tank overflowed. How can that be? I thought the water system was a closed system other than putting water in the tank and getting it out via shower or faucet. I was told by the guy who built my rv that if I put the water in too fast, the tank can run over. Is that true or is he just pulling my leg?
I should be specific that my rv is a gooseneck horse trailer and the dressing room had a custom living quarters installed just recently. This is my first trip with the conversion installed.
Please advise. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig has a tank with a tube attached to the vent and if that tube is inside the dinette area, when you fill the tank fast, the vent tube may be carrying water to the inside of the camper.

At the point you're at, it is best to access the tank and check all fittings for any leaks.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The FW tank should splash out the overfill port, or if the pressure is too high, eventually overflow out a vent on the roof. Old-Biscuit is right here... I wonder if the tank is vented inside, the tank vent collapsed into the FW tank, or there is some other leak or compromise of the tank.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will need to un-seal the dinette and access the tank so that you can check if tank is cracked, fill line leaks, overflow line is not connected, vent line leaking.

IF all connections are done right.....tank should NOT leak inside rig even IF you fill too fast..it should just burp back on you thru fill line.

As the contractor how to access the tank. Something is NOT correct.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I almost sounds like he vented it on the inside of the trailer. Not sure how else water would get anywhere but the tank or vent and fill port.

Iowa_Cowgirl
Explorer
Explorer
It somehow flooded the camper from under the dinette where the tank is located.
When I asked the contractor, he said it flooded because I filled it too fast.
While it also spilled out at the fill spot outside the trailer, it also flooded the camper part. I can't access the water tank because the dinette is sealed. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Please advise.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar issue. The overflow tube seems to create a suction if the tank is over-filled, if we park on a hill, or if we are driving on a curvy road. You can search for this issue on this site, and the solutions seem to be: Plug the overfill tube, run a loop above the overfill tube, or create a vent at the top of the overfill tube.

I'm tempted to run a loop above the overfill tube with a valve that I can close when traveling, and open when operating the system. . . if I can remember.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The tank is somewhat flexible on most units. When you're filling it up fast, the pressure from the hose causes the tank to bow out some. When you remove the hose, you can get a couple of gallons of splash back. It happens to me all the time, and is not a problem.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Since yours is a custom job its hard to know how it is set up. I will say that my Jayco fiver certainly has an overflow tube. As a matter of fact, that's how I know my tank is full. When you say you overflowed yours, how was it flowing? A tube, hose, or just emptying out of the bottom?

Edit: Biscuit's speed typing course paid off! Lol
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where did it come out....back thru fill opening? IF so that can happen cause you are filling faster than tank can vent.

Also most fresh water tanks have an 'overflow' to ground.
That's how I know my tank is FULL :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Your tank has to be vented somehow, otherwise, with the cap on the tank, you'd have a vacuum and nothing would pull through the water pump. What's happening is, you are either filling too fast and it's backfeeding into the vent and spewing out, or else your tank is really full and spewing out. Either way, slow the water down and see if you can fill more.