cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas alarm going off

Chairboygeoff
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new Rv last weekend and while dring it home and testing it at a campground this weekend. The gas alarm has gone off twice.
It was the red led for gas not the green one for CO that is next to it.
After pressing the button to silence it, it did not alarm again.
How do i know if i have a gas leak or a faulty detector?
I could not smell any gas, i had windows open and there was no gas appliances being used.
Thanks for any help!
26 REPLIES 26

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, back to dealer for checking out! There can be many causes for the detector going off including dust buildup and age. Detectors often fail at about five years. It is vital you are certain there is no propane leak or CO2 entering the RV. In addition to the alarm being annoying, those things can be life threatening. It is an easy fix to get it replaced and warranty should cover it. Happy and safe travels.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
My money is on faulty detector as well. Even with the Windows open, you should still be able to smell Propane. Propane stinks, worse than Natural Gas in my opinion.

However, as has been mentioned, I would take it back to the dealer. If it is brand new, you shouldn't have a gas leak or a faulty detector. If it is new to you, replace the detector and see what happens.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Low battery or dog farts.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn off the propane for a while and see if it goes off again. If it does, faulty detector. I had a faulty one once and it drove me crazy.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:

Learned alot about those alarms the next few weeks after that. Dog dander, yes DOG DANDER can supposedly set them off. Has only gone off once since we stopped the dog from sleeping up against the sensor...wife sprayed herself with bug spray.

I think that you will find it was not dander, but dog farts.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
One of our 1st trips with the new to us TT, we had to run the furnace. That blaring beep woke me at 3:00 am, had me scrambling to get the wife and dog out into the fresh air. It was cold out there, I didn't "smell" anything, so we went back inside. I barely slept...thinking we could all die in our sleep if we did have a leak.

Learned alot about those alarms the next few weeks after that. Dog dander, yes DOG DANDER can supposedly set them off. Has only gone off once since we stopped the dog from sleeping up against the sensor...wife sprayed herself with bug spray.

I would take it back to the dealer, make sure it is functioning properly. The educate yourself on how sensitive they can be...what may set them off.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those things detect low-voltage more often than propane gas. Check the water in your batteries and charge them.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check 'coach' battery voltage......if low LP Detector will ALARM
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... let dealer check it out. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
AJBert wrote:
Being as it is new, bring it back to the dealer...period. This isn't something you should try to figure out, they should.

Strongly agree with letting the dealer figure it out.

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Being as it is new, bring it back to the dealer...period. This isn't something you should try to figure out, they should.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Can you smell any propane anywhere? If not, replace the detector. They are notorious for the new ones having a very short life.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)