cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

grey and black water tanks

goatguy
Explorer
Explorer
realize it's a function of tank sizes, but how many days between emptying tanks are realistic / typical for 2 persons when "boondocking" (hookups not available)? or maybe a range?

thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Aprox 9 days, 2 adults can manage resources much better. I dont like to camp any longer, i wanna go home, im done.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
The two of us dry camp most of the time.
We have 35 gallon FW tank, 25 gallon black tank and 25 gallon gray tank.

We can go 4-5 days with the gray tank.
We've gone over 2 weeks with the black tank.

It's the gray tank that you need to worry more about.

Most newbies freak out about the black tank.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
goatguy wrote:
realize it's a function of tank sizes, but how many days between emptying tanks are realistic / typical for 2 persons when "boondocking" (hookups not available)? or maybe a range?

thanks!

I don't know what you're going after. What size are your tanks? Then we could possibly help with how long you can go when conserving water.

We could go 12-14 days but that's on OUR tanks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
60 gallon fresh, 30 grey, and 25 black lasts us a week if we're careful with water use. That includes daily navy showers for each of us. We do have and use the third valve that SDcampowneroperator mentioned to equalize our waste tanks if needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends upon the size of your tanks. I have 3 holding tanks (Black, gray, and galley). All 3 of them are 30 gallon. My fresh water tank is 47 gallons. When camping, I dump my Black and Grey tank every 2 days. That translates to 4 to 6 Navy showers, which is just perfect to drain our black tank and use the shower (grey tank) to back flush into the black tank and rinse it out and drain both completely without over spilling my 32 gallon blue tote. This way, I make 1 trip to the dump station every 2 days, the back flushing into the black tank keeps it clean. (There are 2 of us, no kids).

Here again, it all depends upon your usage, the number of people, and how thrifty you are with water.

Before heading out with your camper, you need to experiment with a driveway camp, if possible, track things like water usage, how much goes in the tanks, and then you'll have the advantage of knowing your camper's limitations when you head out for real. And, you'll learn how to be thrifty with your water usage, get use to Navy showers, and start focusing on keeping mental track of your real usage.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
its a function of tank sizes, and education. DW & I have gone 15 days several times dry camping on a 80gal fresh, 50gal black, 100 gray.
Navy showers, disposable dinnerware, bottled drinking water, extra fresh water.
A trick to utilize all your tank capacity is to add another valve adapted to a twist lock to your dump, so you can open all your other dump valves to let the water mix and equilize in all tanks.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
37 gal tanks, and DW & I can easily go a week on the black tank (but we're gone during the day.)
But daily Navy showers for both of us and doing dishes fills the gray tank (and empties the fresh tank) in 2 days.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "ultimate" boon docking experience is to stay out in the desert at Quartszite AZ. We did that a couple of years ago and found that with myself and my wife, we could last a week on the grey tank which is 60 gallons. We had bottled water to drink, and took navy type showers. Typically the black tank is not a consideration as the grey tank fills up much more quickly.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog