cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you ever done this?

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
My wife dropped a plastic spoon down the toilet. She was emptying a pan of soapy water from the sink. How concerned should I be?
I got here as quick as I could.
28 REPLIES 28

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I once dropped a spring that I needed for something or another down the toilet.. I was a bit frustrated. When I dumped, I rinsed out the hose and out popped the spring!
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
My husband lost a fork the same way. No idea if it is still there. 6 years later, I doubt it.

We have a towel rack behind the toilet. Someone knocked a washcloth off it into the toilet and didn't notice. That had to be fished out as it was blocking the pipe into the tank. Not pretty.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
late bloomer wrote:
My wife dropped a plastic spoon down the toilet. She was emptying a pan of soapy water from the sink. How concerned should I be?

How concerned? It depends on if you want to reuse the spoon.

Sorry, I just could not resist any longer.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, if I dropped something solid, even a plastic utensil, I'd want to dump the tank as early as possible. Mainly because I really wouldn't want something hard to come shooting down the slinky with the rush of a full tank and the possibility of perforating the slinky and making a mess of things.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Eskimo
Explorer
Explorer
My wife's sister dropped a real nice silver bracelet down the toilet. We tried a few things to recover the bracelet but nothing worked. As far as I know it's still in the black tank.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The one concern about dropping something into the black tank - don't run a macerator until it has passed if you have one.

When I installed mine - a friend reminded me of the time his was destroyed by a hair brush he didn't know was dropped in the toilet.

To always keep a 3 inch hose and way to connect it to the tank if necessary.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Explorer II
Explorer II
We always wash dishes in a small plastic tub to minimize gray tank use. This leaves more room for showers.

We start dumping dish water in the toilet a day or two before we leave to fill the black tank if not already full.
I thought this was SOP!
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
"This too will pass." :B
Priceless!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
late bloomer wrote:
we had some grease, and water with food particles and gunk in the water from washing dishes. Rather than pour it on the ground to attract ants and critters, we just pour it into the black tank. (well I usually do it) This time DW did it and missed a plastic spoon.

Depends on where you stay but a lot of state parks,etc. have a low of gray water drain outlets all over. I would rather haul gray water to dump then whatever is in the black tank.
cpaulsen

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_Diane wrote:
I don't disagree with any of the reasons. Its just that I do what CROWE does I guess. I know that gray water tanks are smaller. I suppose that where Im at, you can let gray water into the ground. I don't usually when at campgrounds but wouldn't hurt anybody if you are boon docking. But laws might be different elsewhere. In fact if I'm parked for several days, I will leave the gray water valve dripping and give a little more if it rains to wash it away even though some stated allow it

Most places I have heard about is that it's not allowed to dump gray water on the ground.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dropped a metal spoon in there exactly the same way. Not sure if it's in there or if it has come out but it's been a couple of years now and no problems so far. Thinking it came out.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
2hams wrote:
Tom_Diane - It makes sense to dump sink water into the toilet if you do not have a very large grey tank and are staying without sewer hookup. We used to do this all the time.

Same here - always keep the valve closed until bowl is full, to check for cutlery, and then open it! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
I don't disagree with any of the reasons. Its just that I do what CROWE does I guess. I know that gray water tanks are smaller. I suppose that where Im at, you can let gray water into the ground. I don't usually when at campgrounds but wouldn't hurt anybody if you are boon docking. But laws might be different elsewhere. In fact if I'm parked for several days, I will leave the gray water valve dripping and give a little more if it rains to wash it away even though some stated allow it

beavergod1
Explorer
Explorer
Dropped a fork in the toilet one time and able to fish it out with a magnet. Now we only use it for company when they're over.
Friends: Easy to make and hard to get rid of.