cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How is the Chevy Traverse towing 5000 lbs?

ssstar3
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching RVs and TT's for over a year and have finally decided I'm happy in the Airstream 23 ft Serenity. Now I need a vehicle to tow it and came upon the Chevy Traverse which seems like it would theoretically work. Has anyone actually used this vehicle for towing that much weight?
36 REPLIES 36

spikez
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Chevy Traverse with the factory tow package and currently tow a 14 ft Coleman TT. It is under 3000 lbs unloaded and is towed without difficulty. We would like to upgrade to a 19 ft Keystone premier TT with an unloaded weight of 4200 lbs. With the 5200 tow capacity on the traverse is this cutting it too close for safe and comfortable towing. Only two passengers in the traverse. Thanks for any feedback from those on the site.

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 3300lb (dry) TT with my '13 Enclave... In my experience towing over the years, I'd say that I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier with this vehicle... I'd say it's pretty much maxxed out and I only tow at top speed at around 65 mph but usually well under 60... and yes, it's only rated at 4500lbs. max weight.... but like the previous article mentions, it sure rides nice and smooth and quiet...

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
They pulled the space shuttle with a Toyota Tundra. Just because they done it, doesn`t make it right!
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
beermanjoe wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:
Note the Traverse and the Enclave are the same.

Post #15 sums up the topic perfectly

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/suburbans-escalades-going-to-fwd-46193-2.html
#22 sums it up even better!

Hummm. Accolades goes to real world experience as in post #15 not questionable numbers and speculation as in post #22.

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/suburbans-escalades-going-to-fwd-46193-2.html
#22 sums it up even better!
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
pig78 wrote:
Used my wife's 2007 Outlook (Saturn's version of the Traverse) to tow trailer with band gear, some extras, and luggage and 6 adults in the car with luggage behind rear seat. Trailer wieghed in at 2700#. Back end car set perfectly level. Towed like a dream. My only caution is the transmission. Doubt it had anything to do with towing since we only did that once, tranny went out 6 months later, and had also been repaired before we towed with it. I bring up the tranny issue because that year model had transmission issues to begin with. I'd make sure that those issues were worked out in later models only because if there's already known issues, then towing could exacerbate them. If there's no known tranny issues, IMO, you shouldn't have a problem. Just keep up the maintenance.
P.S. Didn't even notice a difference in driving between just me and my wife, and a full car load with 2700# trailer on back.
Hmmm so 2700lb 8 and 10ft popups are ideal, not 5000lb are you nuts full height travel trailers:B
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
We own an all-wheel drive Traverse and we like the car but we wouldn't tow a golf cart trailer with it.Get a Tahoe or Avalanche is my suggestion or like us,Duramax dually for the tow jobs and the Traverse to go out to eat.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer

pig78
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
bikendan wrote:
i don't quite understand the attraction some have for the Traverse as a tow vehicle, especially compared to the Tahoe.

Traverse- mpg is 17/24
Tahoe- mpg is 15/21

Traverse tow capacity- 5200lbs. with a 150lb. driver
Tahoe tow capacity- up to 8500lbs. with a 150lb. driver

the Tahoe gives more room and much more towing capacity, for only 2-3 miles per gallon less. plus it's ladder frame construction vs. the unibody construction of the Traverse.

I know for me it was the $10,000 price difference.

I didnt have plans on pulling a huge TT at the time I leased the Traverse, but it does ok with what I now have. I will be going back to a truck once I'm done with rear facing car seats, although they aren't much under the $40,000 mark these days. ๐Ÿ˜ž

For my wife and I it was the price difference also. We would've preferred a Tahoe, but even used it was out of reach for year/mileage/options we were looking for. We were, however, aware of the negligible difference in mileage. We opted for the Outlook because it would serve our need for towing certain things if needed. I do have a Dodge half ton for larger items. That being said, I've seen several Traverses/Outlooks/Acadias towing campers in the 20-25 range as well as car haulers with their toys on them. I still stand by the transmission as being the weak link on certain years.
Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig in the mud, eventually you'll realize the pig likes it.

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
i don't quite understand the attraction some have for the Traverse as a tow vehicle, especially compared to the Tahoe.

Traverse- mpg is 17/24
Tahoe- mpg is 15/21

Traverse tow capacity- 5200lbs. with a 150lb. driver
Tahoe tow capacity- up to 8500lbs. with a 150lb. driver

the Tahoe gives more room and much more towing capacity, for only 2-3 miles per gallon less. plus it's ladder frame construction vs. the unibody construction of the Traverse.

I know for me it was the $10,000 price difference.

I didnt have plans on pulling a huge TT at the time I leased the Traverse, but it does ok with what I now have. I will be going back to a truck once I'm done with rear facing car seats, although they aren't much under the $40,000 mark these days. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

pig78
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
pig78 wrote:
Used my wife's 2007 Outlook (Saturn's version of the Traverse)

the Traverse didn't come out until 2009, i think.
are you thinking of the Equinox?

Nope, I'm thinking of the Traverse. It may have come out in 2009. IDK when GM released each version, except for the Outlook. By 2009, the tranny issue may have been resolved.
Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig in the mud, eventually you'll realize the pig likes it.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pig78 wrote:
Used my wife's 2007 Outlook (Saturn's version of the Traverse)

the Traverse didn't come out until 2009, i think.
are you thinking of the Equinox?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pig78
Explorer
Explorer
Used my wife's 2007 Outlook (Saturn's version of the Traverse) to tow trailer with band gear, some extras, and luggage and 6 adults in the car with luggage behind rear seat. Trailer wieghed in at 2700#. Back end car set perfectly level. Towed like a dream. My only caution is the transmission. Doubt it had anything to do with towing since we only did that once, tranny went out 6 months later, and had also been repaired before we towed with it. I bring up the tranny issue because that year model had transmission issues to begin with. I'd make sure that those issues were worked out in later models only because if there's already known issues, then towing could exacerbate them. If there's no known tranny issues, IMO, you shouldn't have a problem. Just keep up the maintenance.
P.S. Didn't even notice a difference in driving between just me and my wife, and a full car load with 2700# trailer on back.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a doolie or probably even a quadlie:

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule