Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to prevent delamination

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Since I will be getting a fiberglass sided trailer in the near future I was curious about delamination and how to prevent it.

1.)Is it primarily caused from moisture getting into the wall and separating the material, or are there other causes?

2.)What are some best practices to prevent this from occurring?

Chris
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP
19 REPLIES 19

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Don't buy a vacuum bonded trailer!

So aluminum sided then?
Chris (KD7WZW)

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Don't buy a vacuum bonded trailer!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
jtludwig wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Biggyniner wrote:
Hey all,

Since I will be getting a fiberglass sided trailer in the near future I was curious about delamination and how to prevent it.

Is it primarily caused from moisture getting into the wall and separating the material, or are there other causes?

[COLOR=]Water intrusion (leaks) are the most common cause. It can also be caused by faulty glue from the factory during the laminating process.

Regularly inspect and reseal ALL seams and openings (windows, running lights, vents, etc.)

Chris

I've also heard concerns about RV covers used to protect the trailer from the elements (weather, etc) causing heat buildup and contributing to delamination. I still can't decide if I should use a cover or not, even in the winter?

Hmm interesting point... I am thinking about investing in one of those car port versions, that should prevent moisture being trapped. maybe if you do use a regular cover, purchase a dry-z-air and keep in the trailer when stored...
Chris (KD7WZW)

jtludwig
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Biggyniner wrote:
Hey all,

Is it primarily caused from moisture getting into the wall and separating the material, or are there other causes?

[COLOR=]Water intrusion (leaks) are the most common cause. It can also be caused by faulty glue from the factory during the laminating process.

Regularly inspect and reseal ALL seams and openings (windows, running lights, vents, etc.)

Chris

I've also heard concerns about RV covers used to protect the trailer from the elements (weather, etc) causing heat buildup and contributing to delamination. I still can't decide if I should use a cover or not, even in the winter?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Biggyniner wrote:
Hey all,

Chris
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro