cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas for attaching items under the RV

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install a couple vinyl fence post tubes and a ladder underneath of RV.

I would prefer not drilling holes in the frame. But I can't think of a method that would not involve drilling.

Any alternatives?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
13 REPLIES 13

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Most newer trailers have about 30 Tek screws per side holding up the Coroplast underbelly panels to the frame so I figure 4 more wouldn't hurt.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
I would like to install a couple vinyl fence post tubes and a ladder underneath of RV.

Just be aware that anything you put down there will be subject to hits from 'road gators' (tire carcasses) on the road. As an RV you have very little room to move without leaving your lane.

A tire carcass hitting anything at 55 mph will be quite an impact.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Where you can safely drill holes in a frame depends largely on the stresses that piece sees at that location. Could be in compression, tension, pos or neg moment, torsion, or all of the above.
How about big zip ties? I've held stuff together for years with them. Why dill a frame to mount a plastic tube to hold a sewer hose? Seems excessive.
Or use 2 hose clamps. 1 around the frame and the other around the item to be attached, normal to the first one.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brokentone wrote:
When I worked with heavy trucks we never drilled holes in the top or bottom of the frame, only in the web between.

Bob
This is good practice. If you look at Al air aircraft structural frames this is were lightning holes are put in to save weight. In either an I beam or C section the caps(top and bottom) carry the majority of the load. Another good practice for drilled holes is that they should be twice the hole dia from the edge(2D) for bearing strength.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We lived on sailboats in the Carib for many years and are very comfortable with " lashing " items to the frame . We use para-cord and have been lashing hose holders , fish pole holders and many other items .Never had anything come loose ! Sailors did this for thousands of years . It still works !

Brokentone
Explorer
Explorer
When I worked with heavy trucks we never drilled holes in the top or bottom of the frame, only in the web between.

Bob

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to make a fence-post-style slinky carrier and am looking at different ways to attach.

LarryJM used beam clamps as a way to attach aluminum angle in his underbelly area. His album of what he did is here. The beam clamps allow a way to attach to the trailer frame for those that are wary of drilling holes in the frame.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
How do you use plumber's tape? What do you do with the holes? I'm about to make a fence-post-style slinky carrier and am looking at different ways to attach.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would drill and tap threads and hang it accordingly - actually, that is exactly what I did. ๐Ÿ™‚
Wont hurt anything.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the Plumber's Tape. Works well, rust resistant, good tensile strength, plenty of pre-made holes. If you are averse to drilling the frame, it can be used then removed with no trace.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people using Plumber's Tape (the galvanized metal with holes every inch). I've also seen heavier duty metal brackets and threaded rods used.

In my case I bought some UV resistant zip-ties and used a bunch of them to support my fence post rig for the stinky slinky.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure have tons of room under my off-road POPUP. Been thinking about doing a couple of things under there. I could probably hang a hammock haha...

I do want to put a safe lock box with access inside one of my cabinets... Also like those torklift hangers for batteries - thats a neat idea.
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
A few holes in the frame will not harm it at all. And will by far be the most secure way of attaching something. Drill proper size holes and use self tapping screws/bolts.