cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

IRS and RV's: Tax Deductible?

AlCar
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by someone that RV, if they have a bed, a kitchen, and a bathroom, can be considered a second home and thus deductible on your 1040 when you file taxes. I can't find anything about it in the tax forms. Can some one help me out on this matter?
35 REPLIES 35

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
Just beware that if you are subject to alternate minimum tax (AMT) then the tax deduction for motorhomes goes away under that alternate calculation.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe it matters which state you live....when dealing with your Federal Tax Return, we all go by the same rules to my knowledge. Yes, you can deduct the interest of your RV loan on your Federal Return if you are able to itemize. This is assuming there is a loan on the RV. There is no deduction for cash sales. This is the info my CPA gave us last year. I have no idea what your state return (if you have one) allows. TX does not have a state return.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
You can't get the right answer here. Others have given you good advise. Read the regulations carefully and/or consult a qualified tax accountant or attorney.

In my personal situation for example: My RV is financed and the interest would be deductible in many cases. But. Sadly - not in mine. My personal situation is that I can not do this. There could be other factors involved as well. It all depends on the individual and their personal situation.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
In Iowa, as long as it has a designated kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath contained inside the RV, then you can deduct the interest, like a mortgage. Also we have a woodworking business and we could use it as a business deduction but cant have both. We were advised to take advantage of the interest and when its paid off we can continue taking a deduction for the business since we intend to take it to craft fairs and shows, if we are still doing it.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep reading about Oh, WVa, VA, NC, CA and even Columbus. I think the OP was asking about federal tax interest deductions on a RV, so why does it matter what state or city one lives in?
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
Here. They are considered a second, or vacation home, and the interest can be used for tax purposes as long as the collateral for the loan is the RV.

Correct. Been deducting interest on loan, as a second mortgage, for years.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As everyone else has said, the RV is not tax deductible, but the INTEREST on the loan for the RV is deductible as long as the loan is secured by the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
You can if it meets the second home test. It is also a Federal deduction. Turbo Tax even has a line item for it in the deductions section.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
yes you can deduct the intrest on the trailer loan i have done it since 1999
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can deduct assuming your deductions total more than 12,200 or so I think it is for 2013. Otherwise you would just take the standard.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
AlCar wrote:
I was told by someone that RV, if they have a bed, a kitchen, and a bathroom, can be considered a second home and thus deductible on your 1040 when you file taxes. I can't find anything about it in the tax forms. Can some one help me out on this matter?

If the Columbus you refer to is in Ohio, YES you can deduct interest paid. It is considered a second home.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
AlCar wrote:

The INTEREST on your loan ( assuming you have one) is deductible as a second home (NOT a third or more!). The cost is not deductible.
As before - check with your tax accountable or ask IRS direct.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Here. They are considered a second, or vacation home, and the interest can be used for tax purposes as long as the collateral for the loan is the RV.

I am a retired CPA. This is the right answer if you itemize deductions. Read up on deducting interest on second homes.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
Live in Ca and,yes,you can deduct interest. We have done so on two RV's.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Yep:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet