cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just starting to look...any thoughts?

TEOSC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, and thanks. I have read several posts, and some of my questions are unique and I would appreciate opinions and advice. We decided earlier this week to sell our boat and buy an RV. So we know absolutely nothing about them. Started looking yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed What we do want is either the Class C or Class A. We will be buying used, as our budget will be between 30k and 35k. And this is not for full timing, just here and there when we want to get away or take a cross country vacation.
We are trying to educate ourselves so we can make a good purchase.
Some of our questions. We want something that is in good shape, good quality, and will last.

1. Obviously and has been asked many times, but how do the brands of Class A stack up..best and so forth and then the Class C, same thing. And I suppose I should add, that looking at them from the used standpoint...maybe from 1995 on..not sure if what you think is best was best since then, is what I am saying.

2. Along with that questions, I have found as would be expected, newer Class C's cost more than older Class A's. So would like thoughts on that...If can get a 199x or 2000 for less than a mid 200x Class C, what would you advise?

3. Another question, is there a difference between Ford, Chevy, etc?

4. I would assume that mileage on these is not like a car. So how many miles would be considered too much?

Those are our main thoughts for right now and any input would be appreciated!

Thanks...tim
18 REPLIES 18

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
hi don't know what your timing is but going to camping shows are very helpful. we go every year even if we aren't in the market. we started with a pop up when the kids were young then a 21 and 25 travel trailer. even when we bought our new home we were still looking at travel trailer and class cs. a class a was our dream do we bit the bullet!
Jo, Elliott, Cloey and Zoey, Havanese sisters
who JUST bought a Georgetown 328TS Class A and will be towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Started out 30 yrs ago with a ten year old Class C and then upgraded to a new Class A and now on our thrid TT. Never a full timer but do a lot of cross country trips. Would avoid older MHs unless you are mechanically minded, class As are expenisive to have fixed and maintain, then you really need a toad to enjoy where you go. There are plenty of good low mileage rigs out there but need to find one priced right and that has been well maintained. Now at the end is a good time to buy. If you had a TV would recommend a TT but I think a newer Class C might be a good choice. Most all are mechanicallly pretty reliable if they are taken care of. Good luck.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as "everything is inside", just remenber if you are tooling down the road and someone decides to get something to eat, go to bathroom, or stretch their legs, if a sudden panic stop occurs, whoever is up(not belted in) may exit through the windshield. Ain't no free lunch guys.

Jim

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I think you see as many As as Cs on the road, so why we chose one over the other is just that, a personal choice. I traded my A in for a C because I wanted that door next to me while I drove and I always felt "tippy" in our A. I was just really uncomfortable driving the A.
You need to know before hand what kind of camping your going to be doing. If you want to go to the wilds, where roads become dirt trails and mud isn't a dirty word, I would think a small Class C or truck would be the best bet.
If you plan on traveling around the US,stopping at sites and using mostly utility sites (electricity/water/sewer) then either and A or a C would be fine. If Resort Rving is your thing, I would think a newer A would be the best. And this is a really generalized statement but if you plan on camping at National and State parks, you might want to keep the rig below 32' as many parks are old and their sites are short and unlevel.
Welcome and happy hunting.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Free Range Human wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
4: Try to buy a rig from 2004 model year or newer because more CGs are adapting the 10 year rule.

Can someone elaborate on this?

Some RV parks are adapting a 10 year rule. If you have an rv over 10 years old, they may not let you stay. The majority are not like that, but it seems that people are posting about them more and more nowadays.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
4: Try to buy a rig from 2004 model year or newer because more CGs are adapting the 10 year rule.

Can someone elaborate on this?

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
TEOSC wrote:
Hi all, and thanks. I have read several posts, and some of my questions are unique and I would appreciate opinions and advice. We decided earlier this week to sell our boat and buy an RV. So we know absolutely nothing about them. Started looking yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed What we do want is either the Class C or Class A. We will be buying used, as our budget will be between 30k and 35k. And this is not for full timing, just here and there when we want to get away or take a cross country vacation.
We are trying to educate ourselves so we can make a good purchase.
Some of our questions. We want something that is in good shape, good quality, and will last.

1. Obviously and has been asked many times, but how do the brands of Class A stack up..best and so forth and then the Class C, same thing. And I suppose I should add, that looking at them from the used standpoint...maybe from 1995 on..not sure if what you think is best was best since then, is what I am saying.

2. Along with that questions, I have found as would be expected, newer Class C's cost more than older Class A's. So would like thoughts on that...If can get a 199x or 2000 for less than a mid 200x Class C, what would you advise?

3. Another question, is there a difference between Ford, Chevy, etc?

4. I would assume that mileage on these is not like a car. So how many miles would be considered too much?

Those are our main thoughts for right now and any input would be appreciated!

Thanks...tim
Any updates ?
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where you are located, but start looking for the nearest RV show. This will allow you to kick lots of tires and look at lots of floor plans. Take notes and make a chart of what's important to you and what isn't. You'll get less high-pressure sales at the end of the show rather than the beginning because the sales people are starting to get weary. But don't fall for "show pricing". Most will honor the same price at the dealership if you mention what you saw at the show.

The cons of an A or C are as stated above-another motor to maintain and another vehicle to register. Pros are it's easier to stop en route and if you have a toad, you've got two vehicles in case one breaks down. You don't say what you tow the boat with, but with your budget and an already usable tow vehicle I think you'll be able to buy a nicer TT or 5th wheel than an A or C. And DEFINITELY don't let your heart rule! That's very hard. We went from a tent to a pop-up to another pop-up to a 5th wheel to a Super C. Don't be surprised or embarrassed if you buy one style and in short order decide you want something else. Most of us have been there, done that!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We have had everything from a tent to our current Class A since 1969. We have never had electric at our storage and never ahd a problem that way. We have been storing this one in a barn with concrete floor but no electric. If you are going back to the 90's I would recommend only the high end coaches from that period. Newmar was first to have slides in production MHs in 1990 so they have the most experience on that. After 2 Class C's and 2 A's I recommend an A for durability. Gas or diesel is another choice to decide on early. For limited use the service costs on a DP can be considerably higher. I just got a Mobil 1 oil change on gasser last week for $68. On a diesel that won't even cover the filters. Whichever you decide on watch the tires. Most RV tires will rot out in about 5-8 years and they can be a few thousand dollars for a set. The month and year a tire was made is stamped on the sidewalls so you can get the age easily.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

TEOSC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi and thanks to all you wonderful folks for the outstanding advice and thoughts. I have made many notes here.
We have a motorboat and figure it's time to end that stage as neither of us are sunbathers and the lake is so doggone far(1 hr) and storage of it there costs, that it is not work it any more. So my lady has been thinking a while about just getting rid of it and purchasing an RV. She hates camping..real camping, but is open to an Rv. And we won't be doing it full time. Just a vacation here and there, or if a couple of her girlfriends come over and that want to get away by themselves for a day or so. So it will really only be here and there. But we figure we will use it more than we are the boat.
And as far as tow trailers, those are pretty much out. We just bought new vehicles last year and really can't afford a trailer and something to tow it. But the idea of having everything inside and not having to go out and then in, is very appealing. That is why we have settled pretty much on either an A or a C.
Thank you so much for all your detailed and caring posts! And we will kick a lot of tires and are not in any rush. Just trying to get started and you folks have been wonderful in that endeavor!....t

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rent one of each to see what you like best, Class C or A. I would want a walk around bed so you don't have to crawl over your partner in the night. And it's easier to make. Class A 2001 or newer and you will get the wider wheel stance (better handling) newer engines and transmissions etc.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
1: Don't get emotionally attached to any rig. Be prepared to walk at any time.
2: If you even suspect there is water damage, high-tail it out of there.
3: Try not to be anywhere near upside down on the rig if financing. Perhaps just buy it in cash so if something bad happens, you can sell the thing and be out from under it in a hurry.
5: With Ford motorhomes, buy one from '06 or newer, or perhaps from 2010 and newer if possible, due to the engine and transmission improvements.

Of course, before you even look at rigs, figure these three things out:

1: Were is it going to be stored? Get that arranged first, preferably a storage spot that has electricity to keep batteries charged, and some place secure. You might find that out of town is a good tradeoff than the rig closer to you at a place that has lots of break-ins. Nothing beats a good neighborhood for rig storage.

2: What type of camping are you going to do? Think this one out carefully. Do you like dry camping? Going from RV park to RV park? How important is a generator?

3: Try to buy a rig you will use often. Better off with a class "B" that gets used every weekend than a 45' palace with two super-slides that only gets out come Christmas or a week or two in the summer.

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I would consider with a fifth wheel is essentially your kitchen, bathroom, tv, sleeping quarters, clothing, etc is all 'outside'. In an A or C, if you need a drink or something to eat, or the kids need to use the restroom, want to lat down for a nap, etc they can do so. Not with a fifth wheel.

Also, for me at least, the overcab bed is getting old in our class C. The wife and I are ready for a regular bed. And for the size we were looking when we bought ours would have placed the bed in the back corner. We did not like this at all. So, with us now looking for something in the 34-36' range...I would only go with a Class A.

Something else, make sure whatever you get has the under storage cabinets that come out with the slides. Having to bend down under the slides to get into the cabinets is a real pain in the back.
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Try to pay cash for one so if for some reason you find you do not enjoy it or have time to camp, you will not be in a rush to sell the RV etc. Best wishes,
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds