cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving dog at campsite

Sixgun4559
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm Kevin and I just purchased my first travel trailer. I searched the forum however didn't find anything that matched my question. We will be taking our 50lbs mix breed "mutt" Murphy with us when we go to different campgrounds. Murphy loves to be outside and he's not quite a year old yet. He's crate trained and is not allowed to roam free of the house when we're not home. Mostly because I have two small children and he will chew up the toys.
We have a large dog cage that he sleeps in with a water supply connected to it. I was wondering if while at campgrounds I could leave my dog in the cage, with water while the family
60 REPLIES 60

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
I dont think ive ever been in a pay campground that allows any dog to be left unattended, inside or out.

I personally would never leave my Akita(who truly doesnt bark- its an Akita Thang). Yes, it can limit me, but that is part of the responsibility i voluntarily took on when I acquired him.

It is so nice to hear a voice of reason in a sea of delusional dog owners...

Delusional is the idea you cannot leave your dog alone/unattended. My dog stays home every work day by himself for 6-8 hours. He is capable of staying alone at the CG as well.

Thanks for yet another example of
delusional...

Delusional can be quickly remedied by owning a well behaved dog.
We have several camp hosts that look forward to visiting our dogs.....it's about owner responsibility.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
I dont think ive ever been in a pay campground that allows any dog to be left unattended, inside or out.

I personally would never leave my Akita(who truly doesnt bark- its an Akita Thang). Yes, it can limit me, but that is part of the responsibility i voluntarily took on when I acquired him.

Delusional is the idea you cannot leave your dog alone/unattended. My dog stays home every work day by himself for 6-8 hours. He is capable of staying alone at the CG as well.

Thanks for yet another example of delusional...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Seattle Steve wrote:
CFerguson wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
My German Shepherd is too friendly and far too expensive to leave outside when I'm not there so he comes with us.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
A dog barking is one thing, but how about blowing the horn? I was in a campsite that was one of 10 clustered around a circle, like the face of a clock, so those at the bottom of the circle faced back to one of the interior campground roads. There was a small dog left alone in a Sprinter-based RV next to me, who sat in the driverโ€™s seat watching the road. Any time someone passed by walking a dog, the dog in the RV excitedly jumped up & down in the seat, barking a bit, but also hitting the horn with its front paws each time.

Not that many dogs went by, maybe 4 or 5 in 2-3 hours, and the horn blowing only lasted 30 seconds or so each time, so I was mostly amused, but it might have been different if there were more dog traffic, or a dog in one of the other campsites that remained in view for a longer period. I was away from the campground when the owners returned, and they left the next morning, so I never found out if they were aware of their dogโ€™s unique talents.
2013 RT 190-Popular

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
People also have a strange idea about the behavior of their dogs on narrow trails. Numerous times I have encountered a leashed but snarling protective dog. I got the typical, don't worry, the dog won't bite. Somehow they lose confidence in the dog when they learn the dog will only bite once, then it will be dead. I even had one dog attack me next to my campground picnic table. The owner somehow thought it made sense to blame me when the dog broke its leash and attacked.

When you take a dog camping, you really need to think it through. Your trip may be spent sitting around the campground dog sitting.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt you will find any campground that will allow you to leave any dog unattended outside - simply not accepted (potential for problems is just too high). Most do not allow any dog left unattended at any time - even inside. That's because too many, unbeknown to the owner) DO bark! They are not in their normal habitat, surrounded by the unknown, experiencing different sensory elements than they are used to. It is far too common for 'dogs that don't bark' to be overwhelmed when in a campground. We have been RVing for over 45 years and far too often walk by a camper with a dog left inside (safely) and the poor thing is clearly overwhelmed.The barking, whining, crying is constant and sad. We were in a CG outside of Savannah with a very nice Motorhome next door. They had 2 dogs. When the couple left, the air conditioning was on, we could hear a radio/tv playing, and all the blinds were drawn. It took less than 2 minutes for the smaller dog to begin frantically running in laps around the windshield, behind the curtain covering the windows, looking terrified. It was barking, panting with it's tongue hanging out, desperately trying to find a way out. The larger dog was barking loudly as well - as if trying to tell the small one to 'chill', or because it too was becoming frightened. This continued for over 4 hours until the couple returned. We told them what had happened, and they proceeded to tell us we were 'wrong', that their dogs were 'used to being left alone in the rig' and that we had completely overreacted to the situation.
The next day, right after they left, the exact same thing happened. This time, we contacted the CG management and asked them to witness what we were observing. When the couple returned, they again denied reality. Their dogs 'were good dogs who had no problem being alone'. The couple was told that was not the case and were warned not to leave them alone again or they would be asked/told to leave.
Yep, day 3, same as days 1 & 2. This time, the management checked on their own when they realized the couple's toad was not at the site. The poor dogs were again agitated. When the couple returned, they were told to leave. They were very, very angry at us for 'lying' and continued to deny the truth.
I cannot imagine this exact scenario did not repeat itself elsewhere! Very few dog owners are so arrogant, so ignorant or so rude. Most care deeply for the welfare of their beloved pets and we have never experienced any like this couple at any other time. Many ask if their pets barked while they were away. If we heard them do so, we were honest. No one else has ever had a problem with that.
I might suggest that you do a 'trial run' with your dog if possible. Open up the camper, go inside with him/her, and then leave the dog there. Be out of sight, or maybe ask a neighbor to check after you actually leave. Sitting outside the RV with the dog inside may not be enough of a test. If the dog reacts positively, doesn't bark, seem agitated or upset, you could well be fine. He will be in a different environment, and you can determine how he will react. Just a thought.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
How do you know? The folks parked next to you who are trying to relax or sleep or have an outside lunch might disagree with you.

You know, because you talk to those neighbors upon returning and ask if they heard any barking. Unless they are for some reason lying and saying they didn't hear anything when they did.

Yep - we asked many neighbors when we first started camping with our dog, and still check in now and then. Our dog doesn't bark in general - never has - and the camper is no different.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing worse than a yapping barking dog. One trick to reduce the barking everytime somebody walks by or a leaf falls outside, is to close the shades & leave the radio on. The dog can't bark at what it can't see or hear.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We also have video with sound monitors. We leave the tv on low and our dogs go lay down and sleep while we are gone. Only time they have barked was when someone knocked on our door and they got quiet fairly quickly afterward. We do not leave them for long periods and would never leave them outside without us nearby(too many bad things can happen).
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We know if ours bark since we can hear whatever they are doing. Not only can we hear them but we can talk to them as well. Asking your neighbors is one way to check but being able to actually hear them if they do bark is priceless. Technology is a great thing if used for the purpose it was created.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We have only owned Border collies and never had an issue leaving them in the RV with AC running, blinds pulled.

Out of courtesy we've asked neighbors if they heard our dogs and they claimed not.

We do however try to limit our time leaving them alone.

I've personally on several occasions heard what sounded like coyotes locked up in RVs.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
...in asking neighbors we've never had anyone say they heard anything.

I'm sure it's very dog dependent. Ours is fine alone in the motorhome.
^^^ X2 ^^^

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36