cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots to know!

landsalmon2
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first post here and I am grateful that this forum is available for folks like me that are planning for retirement.
That being said, My wife and I live east of Portland Oregon on a small farm. We also have a small beach house in Ocean park Washington.
Within the next 5 years we will be retiring and will sell our farm and move permanently to Ocean Park.
We hope to buy a 5th wheel and snowbird to the Palm springs area. My wifes family is in that area so that would be our preferred destination ,but we are keeping an open mind about other possible destinations.
We have some RV experience ,as we used to have a living quarters horse trailer and would horse camp and travel. So the 5th wheel is a good fit for us.
I suppose I,m hoping to hear from folks in a similar situation who would share their insights about this lifestyle.
Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to retire, sometime in 2017. I was going to go next year but decided I might as well keep going 'till the DW can retire, being a couple years younger than I.

We bought a 5th wheel almost 5 years ago (used) with the intention of using it for snowbirding. Bought the first one we looked at and have been extremely happy with the choice. It had hardly any use and we got a smoking deal. Wanted to buy it early enough so it would be paid for before retirement. We want to take as little debt into retirement as possible.

Our goal is to head to Texas for the winters once we hang it up. We've lived in the north all our lives and the winters are harder and harder to take, with every passing year. I hope we have all our ducks in a row so we can realize our dream of enjoying "endless Saturdays".
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I've been retired for nearly 9 years and just reminded my wife this morning that it was Monday. No problem, don't have to go to work!!! I remember that Sunday evening feeling after being relaxed over the weekend that Monday morning was facing me. It's really true, everyday is a Saturday.....in my mind anyway.

Even though I've been retired for almost 9 years this coming winter will be only our 4th snowbirding season down in Florida. We'd moved from northern Michigan to SW Michigan and the milder winters were much easier to take. My neighbor said "why aren't you taking that 5th wheel and heading to FL?" He was right.

First winter we did 6 weeks, then about 9 weeks, last year was nearly 3 months, and this winter will be at least 3 months. Not sure I can do 6 months away from home, but I can see about 4 months in the near future. You've got to stay active with activities you enjoy and enjoy several of them with your spouse. I'm golfing more than ever before and have met lots of great fellows in the leagues I've played in. My wife and I also enjoy traveling in our 5th wheel, going from the rockies to Canada to the east coast to Florida. There is a lot to see in this beautiful country. Get out and enjoy it!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my second, and last, RV. Because I'm single, I bought a Class 'B' Roadtrek. I fell in love with nearly everything doing double duty. The kitchen was also the shower. The toilet was in a clothes closet. The bed was also the dinette. But worst of all, if I was in a CG and needed to go the grocery store or just go exploring, I had to unhook the electric, water and sewer, and my spot was often taken when I returned. The final straw: There was a recall because one of the U-Joints in the drive shaft was under recall. And my 'B was still under warranty. But the fresh water tank was mounted below the drive shaft and had to be lowered first. The drive shaft manufacturer would pay to fix the drive shaft but not the cost of dropping the fresh water tank since it was an aftermarket add on. The water tank manufacturer wouldn't pay to have their tank lowered because it wasn't broken. So I paid. And then traded it in on my current 'C'.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Just a caution - I have found that every day really is Saturday...that means you spend all your time doing whatever you used to only do on Saturdays! For me, that means several trips a day to the hardware store.....
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Once you are retired you may ocassionaly come to yourself sitting in the RV and wonder if you were fixing to take a trip or just getting home from one. Then again you may find yourself in the bedroom with your pants in hand and cannot remember if you were going to bed or just getting up. Retirement is great for those who feel no need for a watch.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Jayco-noslide" brings up a good point. There are many seasonal places, like mobile homes in the Palm Springs area, no need to buy a fifth wheel.

Now......I would suggest that you take the time away from Washington to see other areas of this country that aren't impacted by bad weather during the time you'll be traveling south. There is a lot of beautiful sites to see in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention whether or not you plan to travel extensively with the 5th wheel or just park it near Palm Springs? If I were not going to use it to actually travel around much I don't think I would buy an RV. They depreciate a lot and quickly as opposed to a small house or condo. The RV is great for snowbirding because of the freedom to go lots of different places and stay a day or a month but not really economical if you factor in the cost of the RV.
Jayco-noslide

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely need to look at as many units as you can. Compare fit and finishes between manufacturers and even between models. I can't emphasize enough that you need to find a floor plan that fits your lifestyle. Fifth wheels can be quite nice but are you sure a class A coach wouldn't be a better fit for you? There are a lot of considerations to look at in making this kind of decision. What you don't want to happen is be disappointed in your final decision and take a hit in your finances to have to change it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out the 'Full Timing' section of this forum
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RVNevada
Explorer
Explorer
I have been retired for over 6 years now, and everyday is Sat. I have been RVing since 2000, Since you have a retirement place already, your all set, Find the 5th wheel that is best for you, don't rush, check a lot of them out, After you find the one that is best for you, Do a good walk-thru, test everything yourself, anything that needs to be repaired, get the Dealer to make the repairs before leaving the lot, because it will be months to get it back into the Dealer to get those repairs done. Last couple years we have been spending the winters in AZ. but now we will be testing out another location, so keep an open mind about going to the same winter location, you can stay a month here and a month somewhere else…..
Enjoy Retirement, Remember everyday is Sat. and who cares what day or time it is….LOL
2015 Voltage V3895 Toy Hauler
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC LB DRW Air Bags
Toys and 2Labs

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of problems after you retire...

After you retire and start Snowbirding no matter traveling south or north. Every single morning after you get up you'll be faced with a memory test.

After first cup of coffee you might have to ask.

We're we heading north or south?

After that no more problems.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
In planning for retirement one must remember that, after retirement, you never get a day off!
Retirement three years ago has been awesome. Still trying to remember, daily, that I don't HAVE to get a task done immediately, as I won't have the task interrupted by work!
Hope you enjoy retirement as much as we have??????