Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for a first time MH renter in the Atlanta area

RyanS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I was on these forums and it looks like the family is finally ready for an RV trip.

Just to give you some background I have no experience in operating RVs and we are not big campers. Nonetheless I think we would all enjoy the adventure. I was thinking about a four day trip close to home as a test run for the family.

Could someone suggest a good RV Rental company in the Atlanta area? Something close to the west or north side would be preferable. Seeing how this is our first RV excursion I'd like to make sure I have good support from a reputable operator.

Second, does anyone have any suggestions for a good RV park within four hours of Atlanta? We have young children who enjoy a variety of activities. Again, not to keen on getting adventurous in this regard. Spending a few extra bucks on a park with easy access, nicer amenities and a helpful staff is OK.

Thanks,

Ryan
10 REPLIES 10

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I have never read good reviews for CruiseAmerica anywhere in the USA though Atlanta may be an exception. I have had the best service and prices with independently owned and operated businesses. The better ones will replace their vehicles before they go out of warranty. Saves them the cost of a mechanic and saves you worries about a breakdown on the highway.

bernardgam
Explorer
Explorer
newier coming here for big hello to all of you.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As someone mentioned, Cruise America is a big name in rentals. They offer clean, well-kept, newer rentals and they'll help if you have problems on the road. You'll have a lot of choices for RVs. Don't go with a common RV dealer. Go with an actual RV rental. Have a great trip wherever you go. It's a great lifestyle for families.

One driving trip - if you're renting a Class C, where you're sitting will be narrower than the RV part so be very aware of that when pulling into a campground entrance booth area or a fuel station so you don't get too close and scrape the side of the RV. You'll also have to allow a bigger turning area to make turns. If backing up, have your wife go outside and direct you in. Don't try to do it alone. Campgrounds usually have rocks, short posts or trees where you don't expect them.

With your family, you'll need them to know that they can't leave faucets running continuously if you're not connected to a sewer. (dishwashing, hands washing, showers) The tanks will fill up fast. ...and a BIG one - nothing in the toilet except for a 'small' amount of toilet paper and use one full toilet bowl of water to flush big jobs. 🙂 By using enough water you won't risk a dumping problem when you go to empty your tanks.

Also, if you're hooked to a sewer for the 4 days you can leave your grey water dumping valve open so you don't have to worry about your tank filling up, but beginning with Day 3, have your grey water valve closed so that you can be storing some rinse water for your sewer hose for after emptying your black tank on Day 4. NEVER leave your black tank (toilet) valve open to the sewer. You need to build up the liquid in that tank for ease in dumping the solids. For only 4 days of use you shouldn't have to dump your black tank until you're ready to leave. Even then, if your tank monior shows your black tank only 1/2 full at that time, hold down the toilet flush peddle and fill that black water tank just before you're ready to dump it so that you'll have at least a 3/4-full tank of liquid to dump. This provides a good emptying of the tank. You need all that liquid for things to move freely when you do dump. Also, after first dumping the black water, close that valve and then dump your grey water tank. This will be enough water to clean out your sewer hose from the black water. Please don't hold your sewer hose under the fresh water faucet where people connect their water hose for their fresh water use. That is a very unsanitary practice and it's not needed that you run good tap water through your sewer hose to rinse. Your grey water tank contents will be clean enough for your sewer hose. Think about it! 🙂 You're not going to disinfect that hose no matter what you do!

For your first time you might want to look for a campground with a sewer connection but still conserve water so they get used to doing so if you don't have a sewer on a later camp trip. It would also be fun if you have a friend or relative who has a camping unit to go with you. You'll surely have lots of questions as you're doing things - even opening the awning. If you don't go with someone, definitely feel free to ask your camping neighbors for any help even if you think it's silly. We've all been in your position at one time! RVers are very friendly and eager to help. Have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Cloudland Canyon in Trenton GA or Unicoi In Helen GA
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
I can't give you a rec on an RV rental, but I just wanted to chime in on our Georgia State Parks. They are beautiful and you can probably find something to fit your style within 1-2 hrs from Atlanta.

We also like to go up to Lake Allatoona, to McKinney COE(Corps of Engineers) campground. It is woodsy and on the lake. There is a swimming beach and clean bathhouses. Not a lot of planned activities inside the park, but Red Top Mountain State park is only about 5 miles from McKinney.

Another campground we love is a Trackrock Campground, up in Blairsville. I live in Marietta and we can get there in 2 hours. It's a private campground, has full hookups, playgrounds, swimming, hiking, horseback riding, and a hayride on Sat night. The owners have a lot of experience with RVs and will even help you set up, if you need help. And if you get bored you can run over to Brasstown bald or Helen for awhile. But you won't get bored at Trackrock.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

MaNewk
Explorer
Explorer
I rented a couple years ago from the ones with gorving.com logo on the side. I am a contract reader - not signing until I read it. But they didn't seem to mind. It's wise the first time because it's different than a car rental. Also helps know how to get all your deposit back. The fun thing about the big painted sign on the outside was that, all the big trucks backed up, moved over, and got out of the way when they saw me coming. "Rent me" says, "inexperienced, potentially dangerous driver coming through." One thing the adventure with my daughter and 3 grandchildren taught me was, one loved it and the others were glad-we-had-this-time-together, but won't be asking to come on the next trip. My personal insurance lady said "buy the package" because your car insurance won't touch it and you can't get complete coverage outside the rental contract. Safe travels to you renters. One more thing: take card games and board games for the drive - leave the electronic games at home.
Ma - Just Ma

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
Before we purchased our RV we rented to see if we liked "Camping" and to get the hang of operating all the gadgets, dumping, filing etc.
I would suggest a campground with full hook ups since you will have your family and tanks can fill fast.
We rented from a local dealer and took the extra insurance. We never used the generator so there was no extra charge for hours on the gen. We also had a smoke/pet free RV. If you bring pets there may be an extra charge.
We were not allowed to tow, but the dealership let us attach out bike rack to the tow hitch.
Ask about their roadside assistance in case of problems. Before you leave the lot, they will give you a walk through teaching you how to operate everything on board. Don't get overwhelmed, if you have questions once you get to your campsite I am sure you fellow campers will gladly help you out and answer you question. Have a fun trip!
See you on the road!

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
cruise america seems to be a pretty reputable company.. been in business a while and lots of locations.. they have two locations in ATL area. I also think one of the camping world locations in the ATL area rents RV's..

As far as where to go, there are lots and lots of state parks within an easy drive of one of the rental locations.. check out the website for all the locations, pictures and activities.. although you cannot reserve specific sites, you can reserve a category (25ft, 50ft, etc). don't feel like if you are renting a 24 ft, you can only reserve a 25 ft site.. I have 28ft trailer and often reserve the larger site class, because I need all the room I can get to back my trailer (lol). some parks have full hooks on some sites, and almost all have water and electric.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that Lightning RV in Lawrenceville rents Cs and As. Whether or not they are a 'good company' I cannot say. They were very nice when I dealt with them a few years back when they actually sold campers. They are right on 316 just about 1/4 mile south of Ga 20
A good shake down might be up around Lake Lanier or Lake Hartwell. If you find you can handle it ok, then maybe Dillard Ga at River Vista
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who really likes Sloppy Floyd State Park. I believe its in Summerville, GA.
He has been trying to get me to go for a couple years now. Just haven't been able to coordinate schedules.

I have no personal knowledge of rentals.

Good luck, be safe, and have a great time!
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC