cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advise on how to get RV

green1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! Me and my husband are planning to get rv. We're looking for alternative to traditional homes. We don't have a steady job and not a lot saved up. The hope is to purchase a used truck and get a camper meant for wintering like articfox. Anybody know where and how to start? Your responses will be very much appreciated. Thank You
10 REPLIES 10

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Check EBAY, rv.net, craigslist.com., freenet, and rvt.com for RVs for sale.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

AppleValley
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider getting a job as a campground caretaker where they will provide you a spot to park, power, propane, gas etc plus pay while you work. Some Provincial campgrounds here in BC will even provide the camper for you too!It's what we did when we started and we loved it!

Look on Kijiji for used campers and trucks.
-Sheryl

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound strange, but you might consider working for a carnival. I'm serious when I say that because I have a relative that did just that. He didn't have a steady job, but found one with a carnival company out of Riverview, FL. He lived in his small RV while working. Often times the carnival workers are able to plug-in at sites they worked for free or very little. They did some serious traveling between Florida and southern areas (winter, spring, fall) and the Great Lakes area (summer). He said the money wasn't bad. He actually enjoyed the lifestyle while he was single, but met someone, got married, and after a child or two they gave up the lifestyle. It's not a good one for children.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

green1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your responses

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You already came to the right place to make a start. Everything you need to know is here. I suggest you spend hours and hours reading the posts made by others and then you may have specific questions of your own.

Specific questions get good answers. Vague and open ended questions get commentary but little helpful advice.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I take it you are talking about living in it full time with your remark of other than traditional homes. Your biggest expense after of course the cost of the rv, truck to pull it, insurance on both, will be your electricity/propane costs. Well and the cost to park it somewhere. You mentioned arctic fox so you must be up north...you will be spending some good money in the electricity/propane area to keep warm. If you can maybe head south in the winter and work and then back up north in the summer to work, it would be a better situation. Good luck
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
I'd concentrate on getting a steady job then saving up.

My wife and I started over 20 years ago.
We had steady jobs with great credit and a savings account with money in it.

Sorry I don't much in the way of advice.
You'll just have to figure it out maybe...

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I am not going to give you a bunch of advice as you did'nt ask for it. Go to EBAY, rv.net and craigslist.com.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buying a depreciating asset when you don't have a steady income seems kind of foolish at first blush.
Now, if you can figure out how to park it for free like camp hosting it might be an alternative. The park we are staying at right now, yea we sold our house without having a replacement, costs us $520 a month plus electricity and propane. So far it has been nice weather and still paid 77 dollars for electricity. Since we are retired we are not in a big hurry and will probably will be going camp hosting after the first of the year. That saves us over 600 dollars a month.
What part of the country do you plan to live? If your in the north east a RV will not be comfortable to live in. If your in the far south almost any RV would work. Cold usually only lasts a few days and then it is warm enough to live comfortably. Around here an apartment would cost us around 800-900 dollars a month for roughly three times the square footage. We chose the RV because we already have it. If I had to buy a place to live it sure would not be an RV.
Lots of options and choices. You need to sit down and make a list of how much you have to spend on the purchase, Then how much a month do you have to spend to park it. Then how much do you have left over for heat. Then compare that to an apartment with a lot more room.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! In addition to the opinions you receive here (there will likely be lots) do your own research and solicit ideas from people you know that have RVs.

There are many things to consider. First of all, will you be purchasing the RV to stay in one place, or will you be moving it frequently? You'll have to consider the cost of where you park it as part of the cost. For example, if you park in an RV park, you'll have monthly rent and utility costs.

Since you don't have steady income, and don't have a lot saved, it will make it tough to purchase from a dealer on credit, but not impossible. Go to several RV lots and see what's available. Quite often, they can be quite flexible with financing in order to keep your montly payments low.

In addition, you'll have to purchase a TV (Tow Vehicle). You'll want to make sure you buy a TV that is strong enough to pull the RV, and reliable too.

Spend a few days researching this site, asking questions and getting educated. Good luck to you.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)