cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with battery question

mjmaddox
Explorer
Explorer
After the first quick shakedown trip we parked the trailer, unplugged elec, etc. and left.
Now it's been a couple of months.

Didn't realize about the phantom draw against the battery but I do now. Not sure if my 2015 white hawk 20mrb has a battery disconnect. Doesn't indicate one on the invoice sheet. How do I know? Is my battery hosed after only one trip? Will plugging it back up to elec recharge it?

Have next trip planned in10 days. What do I do now ?
36 REPLIES 36

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
harold1946 wrote:

Deep cycle wet cells (new) average between 10-30%/ month.

I'd like to learn more about that.
Why so much difference from a "starting battery"?
That's the first I've heard of that much loss.
Any reference for additional reading ??

Pianotuna has it correct; Each type of battery has a different chemistry, depending on its intended purpose and the technology (chemistry)is constantly changing to improve longevity and performance.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Different chemistry for a deep cycle.

Best bang for the buck is a used telcom AGm battery.

Add a solar system.

Vulcan Rider wrote:
harold1946 wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
While your information is technically correct, the discharge rate of a disconnected battery is so slow as to make little to no difference.

Unless you are talking about an AGM battery or maybe Lithium.

Self discharge is SELF discharge and it occurs whether connected or not.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vulcan Rider wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
If you don't have a disconnect switch, All you have to do is disconnect the battery cable when you are going to leave it not plugged in for an extended period. The battery wont discharge then.

The term is SELF-discharge.
This occurs inside the battery because of chemical changes.....whether it is connected to anything or not.
While your information is technically correct, the discharge rate of a disconnected battery is so slow as to make little to no difference.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

If you remove a battery cable or turn off a disconnect switch, the battery will maintain its charge even longer than the one in your car.

Not a proper statement to make.

It depends on what kind of battery is in use in both applications and how healthy each one IS.

Even if that was absolutely true......so what ??

Modern cars do have a drain on the battery and no disconnect switch. Somehow they start after sitting for weeks. Trailers usually don't have a disconnect and one should be added.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

For short term storage (less then 3-4 months) I would just turn the switch to 'off' or disconnect the positive battery cable (hook it back up BEFORE you plug in to tow vehicle).

For that to be good advice, you have to add "have the battery fully charged before disconnecting". And if there is some age on them already, they might have significant losses in 4 months.

It really is best to give them an overnight boost charge once a month.....or use a full time tender.

Agreed.

I didn't go any further with my comments because it sounds like the OP is storing the trailer in a lot. He states that 'he left the trailer'. Most lots don't have electricity available so I'm guessing he can't plug in a charger for the battery.

I also 'assumed' that the battery would be fully charged since it would be connected to a tow vehicle and towed to the lot. Yes, I know you don't get a high charge from the TV.

In any event, all your points are valid.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
All batteries self-discharge and it varies by several conditions.
Starting/ cranking batteries (new) average about 5%/month.
AGMs (new) average 1-3%/month.
The variables are the age of the battery, number of cycles and elevated temperatures, along with how well the have been maintained.
Add to that the manufactured quality. Not all batteries are created equal.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even better, install a modest solar system.

Vulcan Rider wrote:

For that to be good advice, you have to add "have the battery fully charged before disconnecting". And if there is some age on them already, they might have significant losses in 4 months.

It really is best to give them an overnight boost charge once a month.....or use a full time tender.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

For short term storage (less then 3-4 months) I would just turn the switch to 'off' or disconnect the positive battery cable (hook it back up BEFORE you plug in to tow vehicle).

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

If you remove a battery cable or turn off a disconnect switch, the battery will maintain its charge even longer than the one in your car.

Not a proper statement to make.

It depends on what kind of battery is in use in both applications and how healthy each one IS.

Even if that was absolutely true......so what ??

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to your question about a battery disconnect switch -

Follow the red positive lead coming off the battery. There should be a disconnect switch fairly close to the battery - probably one that you twist from 'on' to 'off'.

For short term storage (less then 3-4 months) I would just turn the switch to 'off' or disconnect the positive battery cable (hook it back up BEFORE you plug in to tow vehicle). The battery won't be hurt for that short timeframe. I would pull the battery and put on a maintenance type charger over the winter.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
If you don't have a disconnect switch, All you have to do is disconnect the battery cable when you are going to leave it not plugged in for an extended period. The battery wont discharge then.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

This occurs inside the battery because of chemical changes.....whether it is connected to anything or not.

If you remove a battery cable or turn off a disconnect switch, the battery will maintain its charge even longer than the one in your car. For long term storage, use a battery tender or charge it fully as needed.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer