Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No hot water coming out of tank

Felmax
Explorer
Explorer
Help...
I have bought a Triple E 2004 Class C a few months ago. Early April I went on first trip and had no problems. However last weekend I could not get hot water out of any of the taps. I can only find 2 valve that have the following setting; Winterize and Normal Flow. Both valves were in the normal flow position. The water heater does function well because hot water comes of the mechanical pressure valve. However I have notice that for some reason the cold intake piping feels warm to the touch which is located at the bottom of the tank. As for the hot water pipe is stays cool to the touch even though the copper coupling is warm.

Is it possible that I am not pressurizing the hot water tank properly?

Looking forward to have someone help me resolve this unfortunate situation.

Felmax.
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have 3 valves like the drawings and photos above... The 3rd valve is the problem

If you have only TWO, and yes folks there is such a system, the 3rd valve is a automatic check valve on the how water outlet.. This can suffer from mineral buildup and stick closed.,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
This link has a good diagram: http://cunninghamcampers.com/parts/?p=4711

Here is a good picture:
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

starsabove
Explorer
Explorer
handye9, can you explain the reason for the third valve(center)? I can't seem to understand that one?

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a link to water heater bypass systems. Maybe you have a three valve system, and missed one of the valves.

Maybe, one of the two you found, is in wrong position.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if outside shower valves are shut. They may be open and water off at the shower head.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check that the faucet valves are off tight at your outside shower. My valves were on slightly, the shower nozzle was not being used, so no water was being used through it, but it somehow allows cold water to be sucked through it so that you won't get hot water out of the rest of the valves. I don't know exactly how it works, but I quit fighting it and go close those valves if I'm not getting hot water and then magicaly the hot water works again.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure that water heater is OFF.......COOLED...pressure relieved BEFORE you disconnect any lines.

That water heater is a mini boiler and if water is still hot it can scald
Heated water is at 140*F

The check valves are cheapo plastic and fail.
You can replace with same or get a brass check valve. Just take fitting to match thread size....hardware/plumbers supply.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

royl
Explorer
Explorer
Felmax wrote:
Help...
I have bought a Triple E 2004 Class C a few months ago. Early April I went on first trip and had no problems. However last weekend I could not get hot water out of any of the taps. I can only find 2 valve that have the following setting; Winterize and Normal Flow. Both valves were in the normal flow position. The water heater does function well because hot water comes of the mechanical pressure valve. However I have notice that for some reason the cold intake piping feels warm to the touch which is located at the bottom of the tank. As for the hot water pipe is stays cool to the touch even though the copper coupling is warm.

Is it possible that I am not pressurizing the hot water tank properly?

Looking forward to have someone help me resolve this unfortunate situation.

Felmax.
It is more than likely the hot water tank outlet check valve has went bad. Very common and a lot of posts about it. Mine failed last fall. It is a simple fix if you can get to the back of the hot water heater. Just disconnect the hot water out line, unscrew the valve and replace it with the new check valve. You can get them at any RV parts sales.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250