cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Change

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda new to the cross country RVing. We are leaving May 2nd for 3 & 1/2 months on a trip to the west coast and back across Canada. It will be around 9,000 miles total. My question is about getting the oil changed in a 36' gas RV that is 12' tall.

What are the best places do this? Truck stops, dealerships? Or do you do it yourself and if so, how do you dispose of the old oil properly? At home I do this myself but have no idea about on the road.

Thanks.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL
46 REPLIES 46

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Richmcm wrote:
My ford E450 2006 owners manual says to change every 3000 miles.

2007 says 5,000 miles, what changed?

Studies that showed cars can go 10k miles and beyond without any issue. On my DD car, which I drive pretty hard, I see an difference when I go all the way to 15k miles. I oil test every oil sample.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went to JL once. Practically wanted to rebuild the engine just for having some dust on it. Just the oil and filter thank you.

Drain plug never went in the same after that one service. Never returned. I assume most are good, I just have bad luck. Overselling other maintenance is par for the course for just about all dealers, chain outfits and many independents.

I would sooner buy the oil, filter and drain pan on the road and do it myself than trust these clowns. Dispose of properly on the road should not be hard.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
azrving wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Honestly, who wants to change their oil themselves while on the road. Check out Jiffy Lube. They are everywhere, have pits and tall garages.

Dav

I do, no stripped plug, no double gasket, no loose filter and NO cheap oil.

And no BS about needing all kinds of additional stuff. After the way they abused my aged parents, they will never see a dime from me.

Oh, you mean when they stand there showing you a perfect air filter that has 13,000 miles on it and they broke the latching clips when ripping the filter cover off. 🙂

You’all must look really gullible :B. I’ve never had an issue with Jiffy Lube and reading the other posts I’m not alone.

I used to change the oil in my two boat engines, plus a genset totaling a half-dozen gallons and plus 3 filters but I had an engine room with lots of space. I couldn’t be bothered to carry empty and full oil cans plus bags for filters in my RV and then look to dispose of it. But that’s me. YMMV.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
10,000 miles? I would just top it off as needed and keep rollin'.
Note to self....do not by any of “time2roll’s” used vehicles!
OK I get a new truck and like many start changing the oil at 3,000 miles. Burns 1 quart in those 3,000 miles. I am a bit disappointed but it is acceptable by Ford's standard. Anyway at 30,000 it still burns 1 quart in 3,000 miles and I get bored with it and switch to 10,000 intervals adding 3 quarts along the way. Now with 199,000 miles it still burns 1 quart in 3,000 miles.

Do you think I regret not doing those 40 extra oil changes? I don't.

Do you think it would burn less oil? I doubt it.

You would be lucky to have my truck. Still looks great, runs great, very few repairs, everything still works.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Richmcm wrote:
My ford E450 2006 owners manual says to change every 3000 miles.

2007 says 5,000 miles, what changed?

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I had my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube during my 8900 mile trip to the Rockies this past summer. I try to have the oil changed in my F150 every 5000 miles, since my owners manual says to change it between 5000 and 7499 miles under severe conditions. I consider pulling my 6500# trailer with my loaded PU to be severe conditions.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Change it before the trip to a High Quality Synthetic oil designed for extended drain intervals.

I run AMSOIL and do a once per year oil change. Wouldn't even consider changing it until 10,000+ miles.

And bring an extra quart or two.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
You guys keep up the 3-5K oil changes. I do own stock in some oil companies.

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
There are a great deal of good answers here. The technology in todays oil is far better than years ago. We have an LB7 Duramax engine and the recommended oil change interval is 10,000 miles. I have never gone that long on an oil change. I usually change the oil every 5,000 miles, even on the road. I can't see any long term damage to your engine if this is the only time you go over your comfort zone on one oil change. It has been recommended, and I agree, to check your oil level often and enjoy your trip.
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
My ford E450 2006 owners manual says to change every 3000 miles. Easy enough and after 13 years and 100,000 miles the oil still has a little amber color when I dump it out. I know the new manual say longer interval to 7500 but it is a cheap alternative for me to keep the oil changed at 3000 miles and we have been rewarded for 100,000 miles of trouble free service from our MH.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 2009 Chevy traverse which was also the same as one on the Saturn SUVs that a friend had. His ended up needing a timing chain around 40k.

Down the road I ended up getting a recall notice for timing chain issue. I took it in expecting a chain replacement but the dealer called an hour or so later saying it was all done. I said how can that be, how did they replace the chain already. He said NO they don't replace the chain, they just adjust the ECM to an shorter oil change interval. I hadn't gone by the long interval that it was originally programmed in it so maybe my chain was ok. The core issue is that they had undersized the chain and iirc corrected it around 2011.

The heck of it was that the engine had to be pulled to replace it. Moral of the story is lower mileage oil changes my be your best bet.

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
Just changed my oil while on the road. I have a v10. I installed a quick valve when I purchased the MH which really makes it easy. The filter is right there and the lube joint are easy to hit also. Took me 20 minutes to change. Just ride up on my 2x6’s turn the valve as emptied the oil in a jug from the valve. Took to the local Advanced auto store dumped it and done. The v10 is so simple to change it is more work taking it to get it changed. .
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
If you are worried, change the oil before you leave, keep it filled on the trip, and change it when you get home.

Read your owners manual and see what it says. The days of 3,000 mile oil changes went the way of the dodo bird

Sure, and the days of engine issues due to extended oil change intervals is just beginning. See it all the time. 7-12k miles on an oil change will cause issues down the road. Not worth the gamble. I would t recommend going more than 5k miles.

Do you see problems all the time from long oil change intervals or from operation with insufficient oil because the owner wasn't checking the level periodically during those long intervals?

Since this is a fairly recent gas motorhome, the engine is almost certainly the Ford V10, for which there is quite a history already of high mileage engines in commercial operation. Ford's recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles, I believe. If that were too long, you would not be hearing of these engines regularly making 250k + miles without major work or repairs. Going a little over once or twice while doing mostly highway driving (which is comparatively gentle on the oil) is hardly a death sentence for the engine. Driving with insufficient oil, on the other hand, is quite problematic.

For the OP: when I was on a long trip (Vermont to and around Alaska and back), I had my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube in Fairbanks, and that without any trouble or drama. As I recall we sat in the motorhome during the whole proceedings and ate a snack or played a round of cribbage or something of that sort.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The less you change your oil, the more engines they sell.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

js218
Explorer
Explorer
My intervals are 25,000 miles per engine manufacture. I pay roughly $300 for 44 quarts 2 filters one bypass filter and 2 fuel filters. All performed at truck stops or large engine repair shops.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim