cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Year Try

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
I'm debating on doing this for a year or so, but have not yet made a final decision. I could just go traveling for 3 months and stay in motels (would not have as much freedom, plus I want to travel for a full year).

Still cannot decide on MotorHome vs. 5th Wheel vs. Travel Trailer. I've read all the articles, I first started considering this about 6 months ago. I would be doing this solo, and I am a male approaching 40.

Basically, if I were to do this, I plan to buy something used, then resell it after I use it for one year. ere.

Few things I would like others input on:

1) A used MotorHome would seem to make the most sense because I already own a vehicle I can tow, but there is no way I want to spend $50,000 on a used one, because it seems like too much risk even though I would resell it. The risk I see in the MotorHome is if something catastrophic occurs to the structure, water damage, or whatever that the insurance will not pay. Then I am basically out the $35,000 to $50,000 all at once.

2) Now because of the "RISK" factor, a travel trailer makes more sense. The reason not a 5th wheel is because I can get a used Durango or something similar a lot cheaper than I can get a heavy duty truck.

3) Now the fifth wheel would be easier to drive, and safer to drive. The problem is the money to buy the truck.

4) I plan to stay in 8-10 places primarily, and I have already been all over the United States, so I am familiar with the roads.

Any thoughts?

Where should I start as far as buying and how much do I really need to spend to be comfortable?

I don't care about luxury, but I also don't want to live in a dump for a year. What I really want is something clean that does not leak, that is my primary concern.

Another nice thing would be LOW ASBESTOS, the ASBESTOS stuff does scare me about trailers.

How much is this really going to set me back?
81 REPLIES 81

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
they have brand new single wife's for less than $30,000

Here's hopin' my husband doesn't hear about that place! :B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
StukInTexas wrote:
The main reason is because the areas of NM where I am looking are MUCH MUCH closer to being central to all the areas I love to visit. The gas and maintenance savings alone of dragging a FIFTH back and forth across the country will likely pay for the land, and then add the fact of the maintenance and wear and tear of round trips from SE Texas back to California / Utah / Colorado / AZ / New Mexico. Those are the places I love to visit the most, so makes sense to keep the 5th in New Mexico (or SE AZ is another possibility).

Basically, it will allow me to keep the 5th and not have to resell it at the end of the trip, and I can enjoy it for years as a vacation resort when not traveling.

I will have to invest in some land, but as long as I do it wisely, real estate should hold at least 80% of its value, and it might even go up over time. Much wiser spending the money there then on GAS and maintenance and depreciation which has a guaranteed zero / negative return.

I am not really so interested in seeing the entire country so to speak (already done that), but I am more focused on the places I love to visit. Oh yah, Idaho and Montana are also cool, but NM is also a LOT closer to those places as well.

Why not by the plot of land and put a mobile home on it? You can seriously get one larger than any fifth wheel for a lot less. I know there is a place that sells them down the road and they have brand new single wides for less than $30,000 and they appear to be at least 60' long. Will probably be better fabricated. You can pin it down and not have to worry about getting a changing vehicles either (less additional cost). Then you can always keep it for your get away later if you want. You can always build onto it and make it look nicer and more structurally sound.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you're hooked on New Mexico. I would suggest that you spend some time there in summer and in winter before committing. If it's a cool temp place in summer it will be bitter cold in winter. New Mexico is a 4-season state and temps go all over the place.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I analyze complex problems, basically I'm a software analyst and consultant on engineering problems.

I as well am a software engineer - I write code on multiple platforms. There are only so many if's /Else if's before your code becomes completly buggy.

I like your new approach.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
The main reason is because the areas of NM where I am looking are MUCH MUCH closer to being central to all the areas I love to visit. The gas and maintenance savings alone of dragging a FIFTH back and forth across the country will likely pay for the land, and then add the fact of the maintenance and wear and tear of round trips from SE Texas back to California / Utah / Colorado / AZ / New Mexico. Those are the places I love to visit the most, so makes sense to keep the 5th in New Mexico (or SE AZ is another possibility).

Basically, it will allow me to keep the 5th and not have to resell it at the end of the trip, and I can enjoy it for years as a vacation resort when not traveling.

I will have to invest in some land, but as long as I do it wisely, real estate should hold at least 80% of its value, and it might even go up over time. Much wiser spending the money there then on GAS and maintenance and depreciation which has a guaranteed zero / negative return.

I am not really so interested in seeing the entire country so to speak (already done that), but I am more focused on the places I love to visit. Oh yah, Idaho and Montana are also cool, but NM is also a LOT closer to those places as well.

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
I always over-analyze because that's what I do for a living, I analyze complex problems, basically I'm a software analyst and consultant on engineering problems.

Anyways, thanks for all the help so far on this decision, I will post a new thread once I am close to deciding on which unit I am about to buy to get input on specific units. I will get a tow vehicle, I just want to take one thing at a time (I like being meticulous and slow, rather than fast and irrational).

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've read this entire thread - you are all over the map on this. It seems like you want a bigger RV so you wan't feel cramped as compared to your apartment, yet, you are hesitent to aquire the proper tow vechile for it. Not sure what amount of time you plan on being inside it for work purposes, I would hope that part of your plan was to get out and experience the different parts of the country you find yourself in. I'd say that would be how you spend most of your time.

Your putting in to much worry about how you are going to sell the whole thing when you are done. A lot of things can change in a years time - you might decide to keep it. Who cares how much it will be worth? Any loss you take will be well worth the expereince won't it? If you don't think so, then maybe you should plan on the hotel thing with rooms overlooking parking lots. Don't buy a 5th wheel just to get more space - get something mid sized. Or do what others have suggested and rent for a while. Consider carrying a bicycle or kayak as well. Here is a link that has other links to information such as RV rentals and planning resources. I have a feeling you will enjoy your trip and become an addict just like the rest of the people on this site. Good luck in your future plans!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I am really excited as this is no doubt going to be a huge adventure. I am so sick of living in Texas, but just never could bring myself to leave all my family and friends. This is a good compromise.

I am absolutely sure I'd love to have a fifth wheel on a small plot of land in NM for a vacation area, even if I didn't LOVE the traveling in a fifth wheel lifestyle. So to me, start with doing what you know will like, then expand later if need be. You know I don't really need water as weird as that sounds, I am perfectly comfortable using public restrooms MOST of the time, and for showers I can use an outdoor shower or buy those cheap GALLON waters at Walmart.

I guess I've just slightly changed my tune on how to approach this is all, would like to investigate this option first, then expand onto it later. I no longer really like the idea of selling the 5th later, I want to buy something that will last me a while and that I get to keep, and I need a place to put it.

Land in NM is actually very cheap in some places, but yes sewage hookups are going to be something that increases the price. Worst case, I will just not have a water or sewer hookup and find other ways around the issue.

I am somewhat of an engineer in real life (I work on some fairly involved software that dealt with quite a lot of math), but I am an idiot when it comes to construction. I can handle electrical ok, but other than that, need to familiarize with the unit. Plus I'd like to make improvements and see how far I can go with it.

Some things I want to do:
Adding solar panels
Re-decorating
Installing a home theater
Re-enforcing the seals of walls and adding general mods
Improving water resistance and freeze resistance

Etc...

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
StukInTexas wrote:
If I were to buy a cheap plot of land in NM temporarily to throw a 5th wheel on, are they compatible with regular sewage hookups, or is that hard to do?

In my opinion, the words "cheap plot of land" and "sewer hookups" are incompatible. Any land developed to the point where it has sewer hookups isn't going to be cheap- even in New Mexico.

Undeveloped land is of course much cheaper- everywhere. Public rules governing what one can do on such land vary so widely from place to place that the only real way to find out in a specific case is to inquire locally.

Be warned that "five-ten acre plots" one sees advertised are often part of a big chunk someone's subdivided. Those are the most likely types of land purchases to have recorded deed restrictions. Such restrictions are often more onerous even than local ordinances, so do your homework if considering any such purchase.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Why donโ€™t you try renting a motorhome for a few weeks and see if you even like the life style before you spend any big money on anything .Keep in mind you will take a loss on anything you buy and keep for a year since RVing is not an investment as far as money goes, but we sure do enjoy it and that you canโ€™t put a price on.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you rent a class C for a week or two and see how it feels? Maybe rent a couple of different sized ones.

I often think that I over think and over research things. You may be worse than me.

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to buy a cheap plot of land in NM temporarily to throw a 5th wheel on, are they compatible with regular sewage hookups, or is that hard to do?

I also wonder what the deed restrictions are, but I'm guessing in the unincorporated parts it won't matter. I think usually the restriction is, you can do it as long as you are planning to build a home there, I wouldn't build a home, but as long as it was in the boonies, I am guessing they don't keep track of it or would do anything unless it was an eye sore. My biggest concern though would be the cold weather ruining it when I wasn't there, guess I can look for a winterized one. Also gotta worry about thieves, mice, and whatever else if you just leave it somewhere.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You're allowing $1200/m for camp fees. That's way too much, even for California if you don't stay near the prime areas. Folks that are stating $50/night are in 'resort' parks or near main attractions.

You can easily find RV parks with a monthly rate of $350-$400+ and seasonal rates would be much cheaper.

You mentioned New Mexico...the state parks offer an annual permit for $225/year for dry camping and an addt'l $4/night if you want electric. They will have a dump station available and there are plenty of parks in cooler temps for spring-fall. Winter is too cold for NM.

You asked how long could you go without dumping. That depends on your RV and the holding tank capacities. Smaller RVs will have smaller capacity. We can go 11-14 days w/o dumping but we have large tanks.

I don't think you'd be any more clautophobic in a Class C than you would in a trailer or 5th wheel, especially if you have a slideout. You'd adjust!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the "C". Most Fords tend to have a 500 pound tongue, 5000 pound tow capacity. Maybe more, but make sure to get the specs from the RV maker. Sprinters may have 5000 pounds, but can be 3500 pounds or lower.

StukInTexas
Explorer
Explorer
I could more easily do the CLASS C if I could get financing, though I doubt I can since I do not own a house.

Can most CLASS C's safely tow my Mazda, or would you suggest it's not worth the hassle?