cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our First Trip -- Comments Wanted

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
We live in MA and we're new to RVing. Just bought a 2011 Ford F150 extended crew cab and 2011 Coachmen 24RBS 24 ft. trailer. Will be camping locally couple times for experience before heading to LA the first few weeks of November. Daily mileage will be mostly 175-225 miles. Our tentative route and campgrounds are listed below and we'd like any comments about what we're planning. We used the Good Sam Trip Planner.

Day 1 (Thursday) โ€“ Depart Sturbridge, MA and travel mostly via I-84, I-684, I-287, I-87, I-78. Rest stop in Allentown, PA area to see friends. Depart for Reading, PA area via Rt. 222/272 and first camping night at Sill's Family Campground.Sill's Family Campground.

Day 2 (Friday) โ€“ Depart campground for northern VA mostly via Rt. 272, Rt. 30 to Gettysburg, PA Rt. 15 toward Frederick, and Purcellville. Visit friends for 2 nights.

Day 3 (Saturday), with friends in northern VA

Day 4 (Sunday) โ€“ Depart northern VA for Natural Bridge, VA mostly via I-81 & US-50. Camp at Natural Bridge-Lexington KOA.Natural Bridge-Lexington KOA.

Day 5 (Monday) โ€“ Depart campground for Greeneville, TN mostly via I-81. Camp at Baileyton RV Park.Baileyton RV Park.

Day 6 (Tuesday) โ€“ Depart campground for Trenton, GA mostly via I-81, I-75, I-24. Camp at Lookout Mountain/Chattanooga West KOA.Lookout Mountain/Chattanooga West KOA.

Day 7 (Wednesday) โ€“ Depart campground for Pelham, AL moslty via I-59. Camp at Birmingham South Campground.Birmingham South Campground.

Day 8 (Thursday) โ€“ Depart campground for Toomsuba, MS mostly via I-459 & I-59. Camp at Meridian East/Toomsuba KOA.Meridian East/Toomsuba KOA.

Day 9 (Friday) โ€“ Depart campground for Bastrop, LA mostly via I-20, US-425.

After 4-5 days in Bastrop we'll make return trip to MA along the same route.
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Ford F150 Extended Cab
2011 Coachmen 24RBS
16 REPLIES 16

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
John, we actually pick up the camper Wednesday, will camp in driveway that night. Have some friends coming over Friday who have done a lot of trailer camping who will provide a lot of helpful advice. Than we'll go to a couple local campgrounds before actual departure for the "big trip".
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Coachmen 24RBS

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you camped in your driveway for the week-end so you know you have all the things you need, pots pans etc to fix meals etc. and all systems in the RV work as planned.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
Lonny & Diane -- good suggestion. We'd prefer to pull through, not unhook and have full services for our first big RV outing.

Ric
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Coachmen 24RBS

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Another option besides the Natural Bridge KOA is Fort Chiswell RV Park at the intersection of I-81 and I-77. We like it better than the KOA.
Fort Chiswell RV Park is conveniently located off of I-77 and I-81. Just 3/10 of a mile off interstate 81. Get off exit 80 and take 52 south look for the park on the left hand side. Easy in and easy out. Large pull thru sites with full hook ups (water, sewer, 50 amp electric, and cable tv) make it easy for any size motorhome to come in without unhooking. The park is open all year.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
Matt -- I really appreciate your giving us some experienced advice. We have the National Park Senior Pass if that's what you mean by the "Geezer Card". I'll have my smartphone and will do routing with Google Maps that will also provide a "we are here" as well as traffic conditions. I'll have the laptop and tether it to the smartphone as a wifi if I need to access information on a larger display. Just installed Gas Buddy and will learn how to use it. We did our route planning on the Good Sam's Trip Planner. Can modify if necessary as trip progresses.

Ric
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Coachmen 24RBS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rics,

Just a small number of things that can save you a lot.

Do you have your Golden Age Card (aka Geezer Card) for all the federal stuff. If not get it at your first opportunity.

Will you be carrying a laptop? Or a smartphone? (Either can be a help.)
A laptop can run Street Atlas and if you attach the GPS puck, you now have a map with a "You are Here" mark. This is not a substitute for thinking. Any GPS can lead you to places you probably don't want to go.

If you have a smartphone, get Gas Buddy loaded and learn to use it.
Street Atlas can tell you where you should be looking for fuel and GB can get you to the good price. (Somes, a few miles can save a lot of dollars.)

Lastly, Count on your plans going bad by about the third day. You will need to stay flexible. If you did the plan on SA, then just put in the changes and it will revise the plan. I have been a navigator most of my life and the habits still stick. Being on top of the situation can make the entire time more fun.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, grandson is in LA. Hope there's some venison left by the time we get there :). Good suggestion to deviate from return route if we don't like something on the way down. Will check out the other campground as suggested. At this time of year we probably won't make reservations more than a day or two in advance since we not get as far or perhaps farther than as we plan.
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Coachmen 24RBS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Day 7 I would stay at Oak Mountain State Park, about 8 miles south of 459 on I65 south.. Never stayed at Bham South but from what I've seen it looks like a big parking lot. They are also doing a lot of construction at that exit. Check out Tannehill SP off of I59 just west of Birmingham.

Good luck and happy camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip that'll allow you to see family and new scenery. Since it seems like this will be you first trip for this itinerary I can see how going the same route back makes theoretical sense. You'll know if you want to make changes for the return trip.

Have fun out there!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Deer season hasn't started in MA yet, or is you grandson in Louisiana?

I wouldn't come back the same way I went, see something new, and don't plan so much.

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
We're expecting a few venison dishes. Our 10-year old grandson just got his first deer today!
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Coachmen 24RBS

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
ricskinner wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try to answer the 3 so far.

Bought the Ford F150, 5.0L V8 from a reputable dealer and had checked out by the mechanic we use for our other car. Report came back "excellent" - new oil, new air filters, new brakes, like new tires, etc. Trailer was bought from a Campers Inn dealer and in very good condition, one previous owner. All systems checked out and had 3-4 demo/orientation.

Bastop, LA is a destination to see family.

If you have any interesting meals in Louisiana post a report.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

ricskinner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try to answer the 3 so far.

Bought the Ford F150, 5.0L V8 from a reputable dealer and had checked out by the mechanic we use for our other car. Report came back "excellent" - new oil, new air filters, new brakes, like new tires, etc. Trailer was bought from a Campers Inn dealer and in very good condition, one previous owner. All systems checked out and had 3-4 demo/orientation.

Bastop, LA is a destination to see family.
Ric, Paulette & "Dixie"
2011 Coachmen 24RBS

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. You didn't say which engine you have in that F150, but if its the EcoBoost or the 5.0 V8, try towing in 5th gear instead of 6th and see if that works for you. Its what I do on my 2011 F150 Eco, mileage increases about a mile per gallon.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)