cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane

mdgalusza
Explorer
Explorer
Do I leave the propane tank open all the time so that the refrigerator is running?
2006 Four Winds Hurricane Class A
1 slideout
Ford V10
55,000 miles
17 REPLIES 17

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
jackquontee wrote:
Is there any concern about the flame blowing out when in transit? Thanks.

In general, no. The appliances have some sort of a flame sensor that will shut off gas if the flame goes out. The fridges in particular are designed to operate while in motion, and generally stay lit without any difficulty. My water heater, on the other hand, will occasionally blow out if operating while on the highway--but it would only be on because I forget to turn it off when driving off, so that's not a real problem.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
catkins wrote:
IN storage, propane off and fridge open to air out. Going down the road - propane and fridge on. If we have elect turn on to elec or leave on auto. Happy travels.

So I have lived in all gas homes, and loved them and don't fear gas, I do respect it. My propane is always on, on the road, in a campsite and in storage. Discussed with a propane service tech best for the system.
We do turn off the refer in storage, power off all others and kill the oven pilot light.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any concern about the flame blowing out when in transit? Thanks.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
When on a trip we keep the propane on all the time. Refrigerator runs on the road, switches to electricity in campground. When stored, propane is off.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The only time my propane tank is turned off is when it is being filled.
Then it is turned back on and stays on all the time until the next fill.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On most RV's the Fridge can run on either Propane or Electric (120v and in a few 12v as well, though that is not recommended).

However most of us do not always have 120v and even if we are on site, as I am, and plugged in, as I am, there is no guarantee 120v will work. As it failed just yesterday (Storm took it out).

So yes, I leave propane on so the Fridge can select the heat source automatically (The unit is powered by heat in every case).

That way If I go to town (in a few minutes) the thing still works.

ON THE ROAD: Aeon (insurance company) in their RV safety course says TURN IT OFF, this is due to the very slight danger of a propane line busting in a crash and a fire.. There are safety devices to 'reduce' this danger (greatly) if not completly eliminate it, but AEON still says do it.

I feel that yes, there is a danger of the fridge catching fire.

But I'd rather it happen on the road, where other drivers can avoid than say at an FMCA rally where I'm parked next to a million dollar top end RV and the fire spreads to it and does major damage.... But that is MY opinion, feel free to disagree.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have mind on all the time when using the RV, off in storage. The Norcold fridge goes on "auto" so it runs on 120 AC when available (plugged in or genset running) on propane the rest of the time.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Auto when in use, off and doors open in storage.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
IN storage, propane off and fridge open to air out. Going down the road - propane and fridge on. If we have electric, turn on to elec or leave on auto. Happy travels.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdgalusza wrote:
Do I leave the propane tank open all the time so that the refrigerator is running?

I do. There have been many times when the power has gone out in the CG, and the fridge changes to propane automatically. And on top of that. Even while at home with the fridge cooling the power has gone off, and again the fridge changes to propane automatically. So yes, I leave the gas on all the time the fridge is on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
IN storage, propane off and fridge open to air out. Going down the road - propane and fridge on. If we have elect turn on to elec or leave on auto. Happy travels.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
We always leave propane on and fridge on auto when traveling.

Ditto - never off. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We always leave propane on and fridge on auto when traveling.