Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling a TT that is pulling a Boat Trailer

matthewijenkins
Explorer
Explorer
Is this possible or legal?

Hi everyone. I used to own an RV and had to get rid of it. I'm looking to get back into the game. However, I'm really into fishing since I got a little 14' aluminum fishing boat and take it whenever we go camping. I'd hate to go without it at this point.

But when thinking about getting a camper again, I'm not sure what to do. I don't necessarily want to have to take two cars. Can you pull a camper that is also pulling a boat trailer? Would this be too complicated?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has solved this problem. Thx!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and Iโ€”
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost
23 REPLIES 23

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
MH-Motor Home
TK- Truck camper

matthewijenkins
Explorer
Explorer
To Mickey - what is MH and TK?

Also, it's just too heavy to put up on my truck. It's got decking, a mounted trolling motor, etc. I've taken it off the trailer once by myself and swore not to do it again. Just too heavy. Porta-Bote sounds interesting but I don't want to have to buy another boat.

From what little research I've done, it seems like it's only legal to tow two trailers if i have a fifth wheel.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and Iโ€”
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming your concerned about your home state these are Ga's position:

"Georgia
Total length: 100'
Trailer Length: 53' (56' for boat transports)
Trailer Width: 8' 6"
Motor Home Length: 40'
Motor Home Width: 8' 6" (excluding mirrors)
Height: 13' 6" (14' on marked roads)
Triple Towing is not allowed
Required Equipment: Safety chain, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs, brakes required on trailers over 1500 pounds unladen weight. Wipers on/headlights on when conditions require. Headlights must be used when visibility is less than 500 feet.
Riding in pickup camper only if riders have free access to drive compartment.
Overnight parking is not permitted in state rest areas."

Also as far as I know states that do allow it require the middle vehicle to be connected by a 5th wheel.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
if its only a 14 footer put it on a rack on the truck. make one or buy one, both are possible. My 14 footer used to go upside down on the popup all the time.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
matthewijenkins wrote:
Is this possible or legal?

Hi everyone. I used to own an RV and had to get rid of it. I'm looking to get back into the game. However, I'm really into fishing since I got a little 14' aluminum fishing boat and take it whenever we go camping. I'd hate to go without it at this point.

But when thinking about getting a camper again, I'm not sure what to do. I don't necessarily want to have to take two cars. Can you pull a camper that is also pulling a boat trailer? Would this be too complicated?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has solved this problem. Thx!

I can't seem to locate definitive answers, but secondary sources I see all point towards it not being legal in GA (which would make legalities in other states a moot point). So, if you are going to stick within that law, I see a few options...

1) Get a MH and tow the trailer behind it.
2) Get a TC and tow the trailer behind it.
3) Buy a utility rack for the truck that would allow you to put the boat up there, then get a TT to tow behind.

If it were me, and the boat were small and lightweight enough to get up on a rack, #3 would be my option if my truck could handle it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's only complicated when you back up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Hang a 14 foot Porta-Bote on the side of the TT and don't worry about legalities. We used to carry ours on top of the tow vehicle.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Legal in some states behind a fifth wheel.
No only your state, but those you plan on visiting for legality.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is possible, and legal in some states. You will need to check your states towing laws.

Jerry