cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will This Be a Bad Move for a New RVer?

Mooredb
Explorer
Explorer
I am totally new to owning an RVing and I have decided I need to get a toy hauler. I need it for events that I will be traveling around to throughout the year.

I found a beautiful 39ft Highlander https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZDSnCr8pc&t that I am interested in. I plan to buy a 1 ton dully to tow the trailer but here's my questions.

1) I don't have a problem driving and pulling trailers but man this is HUGE, and I am a bit worried that it might be too much for a beginner to take on. There are so many things I don't know what I don't know. I would be interested in hearing people's feedback on this size of trailer, pulling and trying to find a place to park. Is this a mistake for a beginner to start out with?

2) There are SO many different brands out there but they all seem to somewhat have the same look and feel to them. But not sure about the quality and the company. The one I am looking at is 2017 Highlander HF39RGL, does anyone have any experience with this brand? What other brands should I consider? I'll be on the road 4 months out of the year traveling and I want something that will hold up and be comfortable.

Thanks for any advice!
27 REPLIES 27

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:

x2 I would get an rv and pull the trailer. If you go the TH route, Grand Design makes a quality one. Lots of reviews out there. Some of the Lippert frames had problems on other mfgers.

a Toyhauler IS a RV. so are truck campers, travel trailers, 5th wheels, popups AND Motorhomes.:B
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Are you going to be able to park the TH at every event where you set up? If not what happens then, empty things from TH leave them there then find a place for the TH. You already have the Box trailer for your merchandise. Get a class A or class C and tow your trailer. Get a small motorcycle to throw in the trailer and your set. Want to take a trip with out your merchandise tow a small car.

x2 I would get an rv and pull the trailer. If you go the TH route, Grand Design makes a quality one. Lots of reviews out there. Some of the Lippert frames had problems on other mfgers.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's easier to back up our 38' 5th wheel than it is our 14' bumper pull utility trailer LOL. New trucks have so many features that can help you like cameras and stuff, and you can even install cameras on the trailer itself to hook up inside your truck.

As someone mentioned, the main issue with your plan is making sure there's somewhere to park something that big at your shows. Like, are any of the shows in a city? Finding a place to park in a city would be awful. But if they're out in more country/rural settings you're probably fine.

As for the Highlander, I've never heard of that brand but it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I might try to find an RV show so you can walk around and look at lots of models. Or even just a large RV sales lot. You may find you don't need one as big as you think you do, and you'll also get a feel for different floor plans.

If you're going to be on the road a lot, I would suggest a floor plan where you can access the bathroom without bringing the slides out. Our current rig doesn't have that ability and it's annoying 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy once, cry once

JohnGraham
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

2017 Highlander HF39RGL looks promising, as for me. However, I have never seen it in action. Why did you choose this one specifically? I would recommend a wider choice list. I would choose 3-4 variants and then compare the features, prices, etc.
FMCA has a couple of programs for RV driving - https://www.fmca.com/index.php/rv-driving-school.html. Alternatively, you may try to find the driving school by location - https://drivingschoolnear.me

John

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also in the "go for it" group. I will say that you should probably look for a used unit because as soon as you buy new, you will not like how some aspect works and you will be looking for another.

If you go used, someone else has worked the bugs out of it and you won't get hit with all of the new depreciation.

We had a 36' fifth wheel and now have a 43' fifth wheel. There's not a lot of difference between the two.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Mooredb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone - Thank you all so much for the advice and words of encouragement. I'll keep doing some more research on brands and but feel I'll go with the one I really want. I found a few for rent in my area and I'm looking into that for my first trip to get a feel for things.

Thank you.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
My experience, I grew up driving dump trucks and buses, sometimes a trailer behind the dump. Then for reasons I won't get into went to Hershey RV show and bought a 40 ft triple axle cyclone toy hauler. I pulled it with F-250 srw, but I never put toys in it. I did upgrade to a f450 dually, which handled much better.

Anyway, it can be done and it looks like you are being smarter than me by starting with the big truck.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the go for it people. Mr. buzzard has good advice, own the real estate, take as much road as you need when you need it and don't let anyone make you hurry. You will get the hang of it quickly enough. Read up on backing techniques and go to a big empty parking lot and practice. Use milk jugs for marking your backing target.

Get a diesel truck. You will be able to use the diesel lanes instead of finding a gas station that you can get into at the gasoline pumps. I pull a 37 ft. trailer and my truck is 20 ft. long. Its difficult for me to find one I can get in and out of.....my truck is a gasser.

Get it and bypass the 2 smaller trailers you would buy before you got the one you really want.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Just a FYI, in Tx you will need a class A non-CDL to tow this combined wieght rating . No big deal to obtain.
I am in the go for it camp. Get it & go to a deserted parking lot & practice turns & backing

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a world of difference between pulling a 14 ft cargo trailer and a 40ft toy hauler.

That being said, everyone starts out a rookie, so take your time, consider either training or finding someone who has a similar rig to give you some pointers and advice and have fun.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
i switched careers 5 years ago
currently i drive semi,pull 53' trailer all the time

the best advice i can give you if your wanting to pull a trailer that size is advice i got from an instructor at semi driver training

"own the real estate"

in other words,take as much room as you feel you need when taking turns and going through round abouts. straddle the left line when in a right turn lane.
if your in a left or right turn lane and there are multiple lanes for that turn,always use the out side lane.

when in a round about, and it has two lanes going through it,as you approach it straddle the center line.you do this because your trailer will off track towards the center of the round about.put your right front tire close to the curb on the right side of the round about so that your left rear trailer wheels wont curb the inside curb of the round about

when it comes to backing,always try and set your self up for an easy back while still going forward.(too hard to explain how,much easier to find some one to show you how)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I doubt a vendor at a air show will not have plenty of space. I recommend buying more used RV than you think you need...ONE TIME as trading will be expensive, BUT I doubt you need something that big or new. A longer trailer is easier to back up than a short one so other than a 5er wanting to cut the corner in a turn, not that much difference.

I would think something like this would do and I see a lot of Raptors. I would still go with a serious truck.

Something other than "Spring" would help on your location.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Each buyer and situation is different, as you can see above. I wouldn't hold off on the larger unit for the sake of experience - as that is something that will come in time and you can manage is you start slow.

That said, I would suggest that you consider how certain you are as to your interest in RV'ing long term, as well as exactly what you want/need out of a unit. Going with a huge TH comes with a hefty price tag. Understanding the frequency with which people don't always keep their first unit, there is some wisdom to buying cheaper to test the waters.

When we first started in early 2011, we intentionally bought a 21' hybrid that we could pull behind our '05 Explorer. That was a relatively low-entry cost for a first unit, and no vehicle cost. We did this, however, knowing full well that we wouldn't keep it more than 2-3 years. Either we'd use it, love it, and determine exactly what we wanted to buy long-term, or we'd not love it, sell it, and minimize our losses. 2.5 years later we went out and bought a 35' tt that we have now had for 4.5 years. Never once looked back and wished we'd done it any other way!