Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular Microwaves vs RV Microwaves

tylerm96
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!

Bought an RV last month and now have to get a bunch of stuff including a decent microwave. I browsed some online stores like ***Link Removed*** and noticed that the prices on RV microwaves are on average 50-70 dollars higher compared to regular ones.

Are there any major differences or it is just a marketing trick?
I don't need anything fancy, just want it to work.

Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

cowolter
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us don't use electricity for heating since it's inefficient vs say propane. When I've camped in a Class A (think BIG RV) with a microwave we didn't use it that much. So a bunch of space for a few minutes here and there. And since one needs a fridge for leftovers (more power) we didn't use it for that either.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
My kitchen microwave does not have convection like the one in the MH.
Is/could that be the difference in prices?
Combo microwave/convection ovens are certainly more expensive than microwave (only) ovens. But I do think that part of the cost difference is that they are marketed "for" RVs.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
My kitchen microwave does not have convection like the one in the MH.
Is/could that be the difference in prices?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
4x4van wrote:
There is more than just the microwave's size and venting to look at. Many (most?) RV microwaves incorporate a stove hood/vent & light as well into the bottom, for the gas range below. If yours does, then any replacement should be built-in model designed to go above the stove and include those features.

Some do, So do some residential models.. same same I just went residential microwave shopping so I got to see some. One difference (Well two) is that the range hood is 120 vac on the residential models and 12VDC on the RV types.. But the microwave is the same. (Change the fan motor and the light bulb to convert).
Actually, the range hood/light on my microwave was indeed 120VAC, even though it was the original microwave that came in the motorhome. :S
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
There is more than just the microwave's size and venting to look at. Many (most?) RV microwaves incorporate a stove hood/vent & light as well into the bottom, for the gas range below. If yours does, then any replacement should be built-in model designed to go above the stove and include those features.

Some do, So do some residential models.. same same I just went residential microwave shopping so I got to see some. One difference (Well two) is that the range hood is 120 vac on the residential models and 12VDC on the RV types.. But the microwave is the same. (Change the fan motor and the light bulb to convert).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostBoatless wrote:
We need to replace or fix our Dometic CDMW12B microwave. The number pad does not work. Have you found any unit that will fit the braces top and bottom? If anyone has done this, please help!
The display was bad on the Sharp microwave in our '04 Itasca when we purchased it. I was able to find the display board part number on an online appliance repair site, and then found the unit on eBay for less than $25. Took about 20 minutes to install, without ever having to remove the microwave from it's mounting.

Try this as a starting point:

Zieman Jetski Trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
shum02 wrote:

then you get greystone, which is not the same as any other brand for issues like the motherboard.

Well shopping Canadian Tire is not an option for me at this time.

Oh and after 16 years and change the blasted Dometic/LG failed (As LG's sometimes do) in the DANGEROUS mode (Magnatron did not shut off) Thankfully I got to it before it did more than over cook my dinner.

I got an OSTER to replace it. Same exactly outside, Different vent (Now that I'm in an apartment that matters not) slightly bigger inside. a few differences in operation..>. The old one fit perfectly in the new box and is awaiting my next trip out the door.. I cut the cord off since it failed dangerous.

I did mention I do not have great luck with LG.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
We need to replace or fix our Dometic CDMW12B microwave. The number pad does not work. Have you found any unit that will fit the braces top and bottom? If anyone has done this, please help!

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer

Zieman Jetski Trailer

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
What is the difference between an RV microwave like the Dometic CDMW12B and a Home Microwave like the LG CDMW12B (note they are the same model number)

The door on the Dometic says DOMETIC and the one on the LG says LG.
Now because of the way the dometic was originally mounted the installer did some sheet metal work to duct exhaust air but the microwave itself is identical to the Lucky Goldstar. and in case you are wondering I've never been lucky enough to have Goldstar products work (So the one that is now in my apartment kitchen is a CDMW12B/yxm the suffix means I re-designed part of it, did some machining and replaced one LG part with a GE part, now it works great).

But the reason for the ducting is originally the unit was installed in a closed cabinet the mounting flange had vents and they routed exhaust air into the flange... AMANA's vent to the front (At least the 2 I had did). so that would not be needed

if the compartment is open.. you don't need to do that (I eventually opened the compartment)

but the mirowave... Is identical save for the name Dometic on the door . Oh and the price tag.

then you get greystone, which is not the same as any other brand for issues like the motherboard. mine recently went, but it was just a lose wire in a cheep plug. if it would have been the motherboard it would have been junk because the repair shop couldnt trase the numbers on it to anywhere. some times I envy your prices in the US, 40 bucks for microwave that would cost 150.00 here and the rv ones are about 450.00

Steve

Greystone is distributed by WayInterglobal, fine quality garbage like their "Everchill" refrigerators. The RV manufacturers love them the same way they love Lippert, Patrick Industries, Furrion, etc.

One thing is certain, if it comes in an RV it's the cheapest junk available.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
shum02 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
What is the difference between an RV microwave like the Dometic CDMW12B and a Home Microwave like the LG CDMW12B (note they are the same model number)

Now because of the way the dometic was originally mounted the installer did some sheet metal work to duct exhaust air but the microwave itself is identical to the Lucky Goldstar. and in case you are wondering I've never been lucky enough to have Goldstar products work (So the one that is now in my apartment kitchen is a CDMW12B/yxm the suffix means I re-designed part of it, did some machining and replaced one LG part with a GE part, now it works great).

But the reason for the ducting is originally the unit was installed in a closed cabinet the mounting flange had vents and they routed exhaust air into the flange... AMANA's vent to the front (At least the 2 I had did). so that would not be needed

if the compartment is open.. you don't need to do that (I eventually opened the compartment)

but the mirowave... Is identical save for the name Dometic on the door . Oh and the price tag.

then you get greystone, which is not the same as any other brand for issues like the motherboard. mine recently went, but it was just a lose wire in a cheep plug. if it would have been the motherboard it would have been junk because the repair shop couldnt trase the numbers on it to anywhere. some times I envy your prices in the US, 40 bucks for microwave that would cost 150.00 here and the rv ones are about 450.00

Steve

I bought a microwave at Cdn Tire a while back for $75. If I wait for a sale bet I could push $65. With exchange that is about the same. MasterChef house brand.

ya I looked at a walmart one and at another place but they were all to small to fit my trim, costco had one but it wasn't 100 or less and the cheep ones while 10 years ago used to be all over I find by the time you pay taxes here in BC most are over 100 getting close to 150 that are the right size to replace mine. I was just shocked when a rv dealership told me it would be 450 plus tax to get it from them....

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Steve

I bought a microwave at Cdn Tire a while back for $75. If I wait for a sale bet I could push $65. With exchange that is about the same. MasterChef house brand.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
wa8yxm wrote:

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
When my RV Samsung quit I replaced it with a $30 microwave from Walmart. It worked great in my Rv.