cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv bootcamps?

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you went to a rv bootcamp for education? Was it worth the money or if one reads and studies the blogs and forums and you tube, can the education be just as good?
35 REPLIES 35

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who replied with your thought. Greatly appreciated.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
TooManyTents wrote:
I'm not a newbie. I've owned three trailers in the past 17 years. I've never heard of an "rv boot camp". Please explain what that is. A seminar at a rally? or ???

One type of boot camp is where you learn about the rv and rving.

There is another type of bootcamp that teaches about the many different systems, how to maintain and fix many of the system breakdowns.

You may bring your own rv or if you dont have one you can still go. Most are hands on seminar type camps.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
woody0331 wrote:
Are you mechanically inclined? Do you do your own home maintenance or do you have a handyman fix home problems? Can yo do basic car maintenance? If you feel comfortable with these, boot camp may be a waiste. Personally I have learned everything I know by hands on and reading this forum. My wife on the other hand would need multiple boot camps. (On the other hand she could answer this with proper gramer and organized thoughts unlike me). Again, everyone is wired differently.

I agree with cmcdar above. Make check lists and follow them. Always do one last walk around the camper before pulling away. Look up, at the sides, underneath and at the hitch.

that is funny...thanks for the reply

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Escapees RV Club offers several "Boot Camps" each year. They are well done.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Ever watch the movie RV ?
An RV Boot Camp is a great experience to learn many of the right way and wrong ways to do things. To learn to talk to other RVers, and how to recognize bad advice and good advice. ...

-------------------------
TMT - Escapee's RV Boot Camp - One starts in Livingston Texas tomorrow.

Oh yes! Although "The Long Long Trailer" is also a great instructional movie!

Thanks!
I've never seen or heard of a weekend long instruction. Seems like a good idea if you're brand new, or overwhelmed by the amount of info on the net, etc. I just went camping with a friend who already had a trailer. I did lots of reading & asking at PopUpExplorer.
Dave

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Ever watch the movie RV ?

Well, I have yet to find a problem in the movie that someone hasn't explained the same thing happening to them. I've even done a couple myself. I seriously doubt anyone could come up with a new mistake to make in an RV that someone on this forums hasn't done the same thing. I picked up things as a kid growing up, from my dad, from camping friends - and learned more when I got my own TT.

Before that I really didn't know what questions to ask.

My best RV training experience was getting with a Good Sam group, and attending a Good Sam Texas State Samboree.

An RV Boot Camp is a great experience to learn many of the right way and wrong ways to do things. To learn to talk to other RVers, and how to recognize bad advice and good advice.

As the old saying goes

A smart person learns from their mistakes.
A wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

-------------------------

TMT - Escapee's RV Boot Camp - One starts in Livingston Texas tomorrow.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a newbie. I've owned three trailers in the past 17 years. I've never heard of an "rv boot camp". Please explain what that is. A seminar at a rally? or ???
Dave

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
Are you mechanically inclined? Do you do your own home maintenance or do you have a handyman fix home problems? Can yo do basic car maintenance? If you feel comfortable with these, boot camp may be a waiste. Personally I have learned everything I know by hands on and reading this forum. My wife on the other hand would need multiple boot camps. (On the other hand she could answer this with proper gramer and organized thoughts unlike me). Again, everyone is wired differently.

I agree with cmcdar above. Make check lists and follow them. Always do one last walk around the camper before pulling away. Look up, at the sides, underneath and at the hitch.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes learning by the seat of your pants can be expensive!

Novice next to me a couple of months ago lost an awning.

When you have been doing it a while, it is easy to forget that EVERYTHING is new and uncharted territory. Right hand turns, backing up, electrical and surge protectors, winterizing, emptying black and gray tanks (dos and don'ts).

The place I purchased my last camper at had a 2.3 hour seminar. If there is anything like that - TAKE IT.

Make lists of things to check before driving away!!! Have someone be the "double checker". You'd be surprised how often folks drive off with the water or electric still hooked up.

READ READ READ the forums. You will quite possibly save yourself some real money by learning from others mistakes or misfortunes.

Safety first!
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

phxchica
Explorer
Explorer
Where is this RV Bootcamp you speak of???? Personally I would love to go to one after even after having had the RV for six months and putting 15000 miles on it already. I am not a mechanical person. I never do my own work on my vehicles. I would like to have instruction, in person on how everything runs. I did learn how to drive the RV from youtube videos and it was helpful but I would have been happier with a class. I am the type who learns best from a in person situation.

upsidedown_Char
Explorer
Explorer
We hired a guy. He met us at the dealership and we parallel parked for a few hours. I've driven straight trucks and we're former live aboard boaters. My wife would not touch the helm.

Part of the deal to RV was that she learn to drive so we hired a guy.

He showed us the pre check,lights reasons etc. Good refresher on why lines on the road are where they are. He covered all of the local road conditions and we did a great deal of backing. Also learned that RV parks are not necessarily MH friendly but that even the tight spaces can be dealt with. We do use hand signals. We're used to silence from boating. I could not see her on the dock when she was tying up and we never said a word. Boats were something I grew through.

We kind of landed feet first in this and the instructor in our case was worth his weight in gold. I've called him back with questions and he's always happy to help.

No scratches so far. I think it depends on your situation though.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The best RV education is to just do it. :W

gbopp wrote:
I didn't go to boot camp or receive any training, I learned by reading and doing.
You can learn a lot on YouTube.

I concur with both ! I will only add, practice driving and backing in a large parking lot before actually hitting the road.

Overnighting in the driveway is not a bad idea. If you are still nervous, overnight at your local Walmart. First "real" outing should be less than 50 miles from home.

Last, make a departure check list (what to put in the TT before leaving home), an arrival/setup check list and a close down check list. You will change all of these multiple times and eventually you will not need them.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure what RV you have, but we went to Camp Freightliner and it was a great class. Highly recommend.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that with the internet, a rv bootcamp isn't necessary for most newbies.
Especially with YouTube and other video sites, a newbie can learn as much as a rv bootcamp.
And dealers like RVW, have videos available for many models that they sell.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes