cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer hose rules

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question. Heading to a couple of RV Parks that are new to me and reading their rules about sewer connections.

Once campground says: "Use of rubber donut or watertight collar on all sewer connections is required."

The other says: "Sewer drain hoses should have a doughnut seal or a sealing type fitting."

I have one of these elbow fittings at the end of my hose. Is this sufficient for what they are talking about?

32 REPLIES 32

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same approach as Kellertx5er uses. I was under the impression the sealed ends were required to prevent vapors stinking out the hood. Is that wrong or are they more worried about spillage?

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Some people are confusing a dump station straight pipe/metal capped pipe verses individual sites with sewer hook-ups (usually full hook-up sites), which require a sew donut or similar seal like the O.P. is inquiring about.

I don't think there is any confusion, unless you are assuming it always works the way you are explaining it.

We have both kinds around here at full hookup sites, heavy cast iron capped as well as threaded with a PVC cap. Threaded is more likely to be found at parking lot style RV parks whereas capped and un-threaded at campgrounds. Haven't needed the doughnut at either--nor at dedicated dump stations.

Mike

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly why I do not connect my drain hose until I am actually ready to dump. My 18" of hose down the pipe while dumping is far less likely to dislodge than a donut or collar. And as long as I am not connected it is not an issue.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
buddybar wrote:
So you are saying I probably better just buy a donut to be safe then?
You can buy the rubber seal or you can buy a couple of 3" pipe adapters that have the threads for your elbow and the smooth collar to go over the campground pipe. I actually have two different thread to smooth pipe connectors because some campgrounds use the thin wall (Schedule 20 maybe) 3" pipe and some use the thick wall (Schedule 40) pipe. I also have the rubber seal but I have never used it. I generally wind up giving it to a fellow camper who doesn't have one.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to. Have a link?

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
Those 'doughnut' type seals you have to make sure that it's in tight otherwise you're looking a some embarrassing moments when you go to empty your tanks. :E:S ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I usually put my foot (in boot) on the elbow so it won't pop out with I empty my tanks.
A gallon Zip Lock bag filled with water/sand/gravel/etc draped over the elbow will prevent this from happening.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
buddybar wrote:
So you are saying I probably better just buy a donut to be safe then?
You can buy the rubber seal or you can buy a couple of 3" pipe adapters that have the threads for your elbow and the smooth collar to go over the campground pipe. I actually have two different thread to smooth pipe connectors because some campgrounds use the thin wall (Schedule 20 maybe) 3" pipe and some use the thick wall (Schedule 40) pipe. I also have the rubber seal but I have never used it. I generally wind up giving it to a fellow camper who doesn't have one.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
In Oregon if you are at a park for one month or longer you by law have to have your hose off the ground in a platform of some kind.

What is the reasoning behind this? I always just lay the hose on the ground now (and walk it along when dumping). I find it's a bother to have to set up the hose supports every time, esp. if the ground is uneven and there is barely any slope.

Fletch_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I always have duct tape in the RV and have used it occasionally to secure and "seal" the elbow when the sewer pipe wasn't threaded.

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
It's only 4 or 5 bucks at CW, good to have

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
It's only 4 or 5 bucks at CW, good to have

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
smkettner wrote:
I carried a donut for nine years before I threw it out. Package unopened.
It is cheep. If the park insists, just buy one from them right there.

Me too.. never used mine.

I have several times some of the older CGs still use the doughtnut.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Some people are confusing a dump station straight pipe/metal capped pipe verses individual sites with sewer hook-ups (usually full hook-up sites), which require a sew donut or similar seal like the O.P. is inquiring about.

...and to elaborate- a dump station is usually a concrete pad THAT SLOPES TO THE DRAIN, whereas at the campsite, there is usually not anything to address the situation if the pipe comes back out.

...and as one poster above has stated- there's a real risk of the slinky pulling out of the hole EVEN WITH a donut, so one needs use a bit of caution and common sense...you should really use a donut or threads regardless if it's a RULE or not- and even then a safety backup isn't a bad idea.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to the same place all the time, maybe you don't need the donut, but if you travel about to new places it should be in your parts bucket with other accessories, like a hose thief, extra sewer cap, fresh water "Y" etc.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab