cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

steering stabilizer

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 30 ft mini Winnie and am looking to install a steering stabilizer on the front end. As always there are numerous brands and that is the confusion. Has anyone installed one? Brand reviews? Also a few months ago I read where some people stop in the factory in GA to have it installed? Any help is appreciated? thanks
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two I suggest
Safe-T-Steer with optional remote
Blue-Ox-Tru Center (The optional remote is not optional, it's standard)

WHY:
Both of these units there is a button near the driver. PUSH it (SEE NOTE) and you can re-center.. this can be helpful for
1: Fine tuning
2: Stead side wind
3: High domed road.

NOTE: Blue ox says not to push button while driving.

Have you ever seen a TV show or movie where a novice pilot turns off the auto-pilot on the plane in order to land it under "Tower" direction and dang near crashes the plane as he is surprised at how much control it takes.... BELIEVE IT.

(Of course what most folks do not know is the TOWER is Ground control. Air Traffic Control is often in the basement and may even be in a different city)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have any experience with class C rigs, but I installed a Roadmaster stabilizer on my Bay Star and it performs well. The Roadmaster stabilizers are one of the more affordable stabilizers.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your rig is on an E450 chassis, then it does have a factory steering damper. If this is worn (and especially if it has lost some of its oil, and has an air bubble), replacing it with an equivalent is inexpensive and quite easy to do and will bring about a noticeable improvement. It's literally two bolts with nuts to remove or reinstall it, and all are easily accessible under the front bumper. The original one on my class C had gotten an air bubble, which meant that for small steering motions it was elastic like a spring, while for larger ones it acted like a damper; and that combination does quite odd things for the handling.

Do also make sure that you have the alignment set up properly, with a healthy amount of positive caster, and appropriate front tire pressures for the load on the wheels. Fixing those if they are not correct will help a lot with the steering feel and tracking.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Steer Safe on 2 different Class A's and one Class C. I really thought it made a difference in handling along with the safety features in case of flat tire.

Camping World did all the installations for me. Very satisfied.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems like they make a bigger difference on gas rigs than DPs. I removed the Safe- T-Plus (made in Atlanta) on my DP until I could make it adjustable on the fly...poor man’s Comfort Drive.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are some recent threads that may be of help to you,good luck.

Steering Stabilizers
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My rig came with a steering stabilizer. It is a shock absorber type.
What is year make and model of your chassis?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker