cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a Small TT to retiring backpackers

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Status, late 50s, retiring in June. We want a small TT under 2500 lbs if possible, with a

Fixed bed so wife can crash early and I can sleep late.
Dry bath ... We think so we do not have to wipe down commode after every shower
Refrigerator ,maybe a small freezer, ac etc.
Not interested in t. Or sound system
Ability to travel with our dog
Ability to enjoy my incredible cooking and fine wine
Will camp mostly in fall and spring as I hate summer heat
Looking for dispersed camping or low volume CG
Will travel light, basically glorified backpacking with a comfortable bed
Will also park and use this for backyard camping in the woods on my property to live more in touch with nature in retirement.

I think a 14db Livin Lite fits the ticket perfectly, maybe even a 13 ft LL. these are pricey but seem to be much better built than anything else.

Also considering a Lance based on a posters advice.

Ay links to valuable posts or advice welcome.

I will read the compillation of the most FAQ in the next days, that seems to be an invaluable request.
14 REPLIES 14

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Under 2500lbs is going to be what will be difficult in your choosing.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the Escape trailers out of Canada. Very nice & along the lines of Casita & Bigfoot.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes

Three models weighing 1683, 1725 and 1592 lbs. All models 2700 lbs. maximum weight.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TECMike wrote:
My recommendation would be a 17' Casita or Scamp. Both are moulded Fiberglass, pull easily and very tough little trailers. I would not want to get one smaller than a 17' model, however.

Good advice. On our last trip in the eastern CA sierras we saw a number of these in campgrounds. Talking to their owners they were 100% positive in their comments. All were being pulled by small SUV's and station wagons.

The dry bath is what adds to the space needed. Also check out the size of the holding tanks as that will be important if you want to be able to stay for any amount of time at public campgrounds where full hookups are rare.

Go to local campgrounds and RV parks and talk to the people staying there about their trailer and what they like and dislike and equally important, how they adapted the small space to meet their needs.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Li'l Snoozy would work, except it has a wet bath. My KZ has a dry bath, but (my 14RB at least) does not have a dedicated bed. Still, you could look at those floor plans.

What are you planning to tow with? A molded fiberglass trailer like Snoozy, Scamp, Casita or Parkliner are more aerodynamic than a Camplite or a stick built TT, which will save you 2-3 mpg and allow towing with a less powerful engine (possibly a less expensive vehicle). Also less potential leak points and reduced chance for water damage on those. A folding trailer like the A-frames can save even more, and some have bathrooms, but they are more skimpy on storage.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Just because you get a RV, doesn't mean you have to give up backpacking. We like using our trailer as a base camp from which to go backpacking from for a few days. Then come back to the trailer to clean up and repack....for the next little mini-trip. If pack weight is becoming an issue (I don't wouldn't blame you if it was), get new gear and drop that weight down to about 20 lbs.

We started out by looking for a small trailer too. But I didn't like hitting my head on the AC or doorway and we don't like "crawl over beds", so we wound up with an almost 22' long trailer. We have found this length nice for those Fall and Winter trips where, due to long nights, we find ourselves inside more. And the extra room gives us more storage space for backpacks, skis, snowshoes, paddles, etc.

Have fun shopping,
Steve

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a small A-frame pop-up that has many of the benefits of a pop-up without many of the hassles (like setup and tear-down.) It's quite light compared to a travel trailer and does not give the fuel economy hit that a tall trailer gives. You might look at them if you go to an RV show. I certainly recommend looking at as many options as you can - it's free and you will get far, far more relevant information doing that than any other way (in my opinion.)

- Randy
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I see you're at the weight vs accommodations stage of shopping. I read a lot of similar posts where the shopper wants low weight but needs a queen sized bed, separate bunk room, full shower, two air conditioners, etc, all pulled by a small SUV. Not saying you are identical to that similar poster but the general trend of more stuff in a light box holds true.

I think you may have to give up some things to travel light. The Livin Lite, by all accounts, is a good trailer and is probably one of the most weight conscious. You pay for all that aluminum, though.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you’re on the right track for what you want to do. I agree with other posters, go to an RV show and look at a lot of TT’s before you commit, though. I use a TT that would work for you, 16’ and 3000# loaded. And I camp well back in off the pavement sans tv’s, generators, and other amenities of the big units. But it doesn’t have the dry bath which has never been an issue to me. Otherwise it has everything I need to camp.

I would add as much ground clearance as possible and sturdily built for the rough roads you’ll likely travel. I haven’t kept up with the market, but I’m a fan of Northwood, they’re built for off pavement. I think Lance would qualify and probably others also. Other posters more up to date can likely add some other possibilities.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rent a few in different sizes to see what you can live with and can't live without.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find a neat link here for small trailer lovers:

small trailer support

Adding to the manufacturers mentioned above:

Airstream- not sure about the dry bath; iconic, pricey yet holds it's value well.

Alto Safari Condo- Also pricey but has a fantastic resale market when you can even find a used model.

Evergreen- at least 2 lines that would prolly meet most of your criteria:I-Go and Element

AeroLite- saw this on a campground and was given a tour by the owners. Started me on my quest for smaller can be better:B

HTH!

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea to find an RV show, if you can, to see the various options. One recent issue of Trailer Life also had a few ideas. Sounds like you're generally on the right track, looking at the 14' TT or a truck camper (as long as you have the appropriate truck for the latter). Under 2500 lbs is a tall order for all those things; if you're willing to forego the fixed bed or the bathroom, you could consider one of the small teardrop trailers. Forest River makes the R-Pod, which is a series of small trailers; I think their smallest is a 17' model, and they have a hybrid option, which can work well in nice weather (even if cool) and if you're not camping in bear country. 🙂 In fact, if that will be true for you, you might look into one of the smaller hybrids - full-height trailers with popup-style beds.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation would be a 17' Casita or Scamp. Both are moulded Fiberglass, pull easily and very tough little trailers. I would not want to get one smaller than a 17' model, however.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I always suggest to people to go to a RV show so you can look at all the different offerings at once. Make a list like you've already started of the things you have to have (maybe a walk around bed, dry bath, seating area, etc) and then use that list to fine tune your choices.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Scott