cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are considering a tongue pull travel trailer. She wants to travel all over the USA. So, would I want to purchase a travel trailer for such travel? Or, 5th whe
19 REPLIES 19

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Well I drive a class A.. But depending on how much "Junque" you carry I would recommend any size motor home first.. Reasons follow
You didn't mention any of the negatives? Like how much it costs, how much it cost to insure, how much it costs for vehicle registration, how much it costs for the equipment to tow a extra vehicle, how bad the mpg's are, how you can't backup with a toad ...(should I go on?).

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Bfrnk wrote:
Will be pulling with Ford F-150
4x4.

That doesn't tell us anything about your truck's capabilities.
But a 1/2 ton does severely limit your 5th wheel choices.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We have been full-time for a bit over four years.

We pull a 36' Flagstaff TT with a Ram 2500. Frankly our TT weighs too much and has too high a tongue weight for my F-150. We've traveled over 30,000 miles in this trailer from Texas to Key West to Maine to Texas to Utah to California to Texas to California to currently Oregon - Monday to Washington and within a month to BC.

Some Pros and Cons of a TT

Pro - lower clearance, easier to maneuver in some tight campgrounds because the turn cut of the rear wheels is not as sharp, lower profile when traveling in windy conditions

Cons - limited storage capacity - we have a topper over the bed of the pickup so that my tools, out door stuff like lawn chairs, and such - are safely secured. The only external storage on the TT is an area about 1/2 of the space under the bed. Barely holds water hoses and electrical connection stuff.

Weight limits - the TT has a much lower total weight than a 5er. Part of that is good because I can have a bigger trailer with more internal room, part of that is bad because it takes a bigger truck to safely pull the TT. A 5er would have a higher carrying capacity (i.e. my stuff) than almost any TT.

As a full-timer, you have to constantly watch weight. Be rigorous about not buying souvenirs, extra things, extra clothes, etc.

I weight my rig every three or four months - total weight, per axle weight and without the trailer weight so that I know exactly the tongue weight and the total trailer weight.

For folks who say you don't need a larger trailer - true. I met a couple once who traveled for over 9 years in an 18 ft Casita. When they had instances like we are having right now on the coast of Oregon with the fourth straight day of rain, and temps in the mid-40s at night and mid-50s in the day time - they spend their days at the library. They didn't have room in the TT to spend a rainy day. We sit back comfortably in our recliners, watch a little TV, update our family and friends on the internet, make day trips, take long comfortable showers, cook a nice dinner and sit down at a table to enjoy it.

When my wife was ill last winter in Las Vegas, I was able to sleep comfortably on my recliner and not bother her in the bedroom. Having a separate bedroom and living room is very useful.

Just some considerations.

As a full-timer you will not be able to avoid camping in bad weather, you will be stuck in the rig when the weather is too bad to travel. You have to be flexible.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bfrnk wrote:
4x4.

Need a lot more information. Year, engine size, cab configuration, rear end ration, yellow sticker GVW rating, and if it has a trailer package. And yes, 5th wheel options are very limited with a F150 unless you have the Max Payload option.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I drive a class A.. But depending on how much "Junque" you carry I would recommend any size motor home first.. Reasons follow

But in the trailers "TT or 5ER" the answer is yes, either one.. One advantage of a TT is you can use a decent size pick up with cap to tow it and take advantage of the additional storage.. That's not so easy with a 5'er but 5'er's are supposed to be easier to tow and park.

Now why a Motor home?
First.. I will cover the absolutly WORST scenaro (Well next to worst) Engine failure.. happened to me.. Now I was lucky and my cell worked but had it not worked (And there are many parts of the US where it will not) I have a "Spare" as it were I can drive (The towed car) to seek help.

Worst case is a house fire... Sadly it makes no difference if a Motor home or a trailer on that one.. IF you can get unhooked fast.

Next. is the fact that as you travel. less you pay way way too much for bottled water (One store I know of sells bottled water.. chilled, for 12.80/gallon (1.69 for 16.9 OZ) and you thought Gasoline was expensive when it was over 4.00/gallon)

So if you drink the park water.. (I do, but filtered/filtered (Filtered 2 times m, differnet filters) You occasionally have an urgent need to sit somewhere....

Ok so you made it to the rest area.. but it's pouring down rain.. You get out and run to the faciclites.. I just step to the rear of the "house" and use the Indoor plumbing.

There are additional advantages to the big Class A as well

I put over 200 in gas into mine over the last two days.. YES it drinks a lot of gasoline.... About 8 miles per gallon.

But when I go to church tomorrow (in the towed) 25MPG. It's an old towed.

Normally I don't drive the house every day.. Just once every week or two.. This month is .. Odd.. but I've spoken to folks with comparable size trailers, and when hooked up they get comparable Millage (About the same) but when they run to the store in that big honking pickup. .. Dang few hit 20MPG.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
Bfrnk

I'm in the same decision process. I'm going to retire in 1-2 years and I've been studying the options for about that long. I plan to live in the RV full-time so I want a big one. ..........

Why do you want a big RV?

Do you have a lot of stuff you want to carry? Do you want a RV that will only fit in a large parking area and needs hook ups?

Do you want to stay in one spot most of the time or do you like to travel?

Think twice about how much space you really need. Realize that all that space and weight needs to go with you everywhere, will limit what you can do, where you can stay, and will require tending.

My wife and I, along with our two cats, lived full time in a truck camper for a couple of years. We had the comforts we wanted (queen sized bed, stove, refrigerator, heat, A/C, restroom and shower, plus all the storage space we needed for 4 seasons of clothing and extras. We could stay almost anywhere and with our solar did not need hook ups.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get a used travel trailer. You will discover what you like in due time.

Could be an A or C Motor home or 5th wheel or just staying with what you have.
Far more options available with a larger truck such as F350 single rear wheel as 5th wheel needs more load capacity to carry the pin.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Bfrnk

I'm in the same decision process. I'm going to retire in 1-2 years and I've been studying the options for about that long. I plan to live in the RV full-time so I want a big one. There are aspects I like about each of Class A, Class C, fifth-wheel, and bumper-pull trailers. I keep vacillating from one to the other, but I keep coming back to bumper-pull trailers. I think they are the best value for your dollar - the best bang for your buck. In other words, for the same square footage and amenities you spend less money. If money was no object I would get a big class A and pull a Jeep behind it, but money is an object for me. I need to budget what I spend, so for me a bumper-pull trailer will probably be the answer. They aren't as tall as a fifth-wheel and they put less weight on the hitch so you need less truck, too. And with a trailer I like that I can go new on the part with the motor and buy used on the part I live in. And I like that with a trailer if the tow vehicle is in the shop I still have my home.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
You want to make sure you get a size of trailer your truck handles well. If you post your numbers from your door sticker listing payload, GVWR, FAWR, RAWR folks can help you determine appropriate weight. Would also help to know year, engine and if you have a tow package.

Generally the tow vehicles section will provide more feedback on matching truck to trailer.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 is limited for fifth wheels. A trailer would better fit your tow vehicle. Get the specifications for your F150 and buy a trailer that is within the limits.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bfrnk wrote:
4x4.

What year and if newer than 2006, what is the listed payload on the yellow sticker on the drivers door jam?

You would need to be a small 5er, but even with a TT about 30' to 32' could be max before the tail starts to wag the dog.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be limited in which 5ers you cold pull with your current tow vehicle, with travel trailer you will have many more possibilities to choose from.