cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Think I messed up

irish4
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge and buy an RV. We visited a local major RV dealership, and the first question asked was what am I using as a TV. We had just purchased a 2012 F150 FX4 a couple of months back as our first truck, so I gave them the information I had from the window sticker stating I had the tow package with a 3.73 gear.

I was told that I could haul 11,300lbs so I was gtg for almost anything on the lot, so after some looking and many trips back we settled on a 2013 Springdale 303BHSSRWE for $17,900.

I was talking to a friend at work regarding our new purchase and he stated that we might have bit off more then we could chew, and that we needed to check our trucks GVWR. Well after looking at the sticker on the inside of my door we found out that its only 7200# which led me to find out that our max trailer weight is 9700# not the 11,300 stated at the dealer.

I don't know for sure if we messed up really bad, so I am looking here to find out.
Here is the info I know:
TV:
2012 Ford FX4 Eco boost V6
GVCW: 15,500
Max trailer weight: 9,700
GVWR: 7,200
Front GAWR: 3,750
Rear GAWR: 4,050
I went to a weight station and got the current numbers for my truck with full tank and me in it.
Front axle: 3,320
Rear axle: 2,700
GVW: 5,920

TT:
Weights done at dealership by my request.
Hitch weight: 900
Weight w/bottles and battery: 7,820
Fastway WD hitch and sway

We pick up the trailer for the 1st time on Friday 12 December. Please someone smarter then me in this let me know if we just wasted money on a trailer I cant tow safely.
45 REPLIES 45

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not taken possession of the rig or the title has not been put in your name the dealer can still sale it as new. As quickly as you can tell the dealer your truck will not handle the load. Tell them you will still purchase from him but you need to find a suitable trailer on his lot that will match your truck. An ethical dealer would work with you. Explain your newness to rving and the reliance placed on the salesman. Talk to the owner not a salesman or finance guy or manager. Call the bank and tell them to hold up processing the loan and why. Don't sign anymore papers.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to point this out but it drives me crazy. Many states have a "right of Rescission" law but it only applies when someone comes to your home and the contract is entered into there.

True, but any time we've bought a vehicle the dealer has given us this right.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
You acknowledge that you are not experienced at towing by your reliance on others to to advise you....including the salesman.

You acknowledge you have made an error in the selection of TT.

Are you about to make a worse mistake yet by putting yourself, your family and the traveling public at risk of serious bodily harm or possible death?

Its not just a matter whether the truck can pull something it really is a matter if the operator and truck can control its load under all highway situations....

Is it going to be worth the risk?

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, listening to a dealer was your biggest mistake. Typically, they don't know squat about the products they sell and they'll tell you anything. There are exceptions, of course.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the dealer said you could haul 11k, than they were wrong. They should be willing to cancel the deal and allow you to pick an appropiate trailer. If they balk about it, you may want to consult a lawyer, or contact the attorney general's office in your state. Personally, I wouldn't think of towing something that long and heavy with a 1/2 ton truck. I'm towing just a little over 6K with a Tundra, and wouldn't want to haul much more....especially for any travel through mountains. Unless you can afford to upgrade the truck, you don't want to buy this trailer. If the dealer won't cooperate, contact a local news station that has a consumer help service or whatever it's called in your area.

I hope you get some cooperation and get this resolved properly!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

magicmantx
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot questions here that will make a big difference in your situation. First CAN the truck tow this trailer? Well that depends on how much weight you add in total including how many people and basically anything you add to the trailer AND the truck also how and where this weight is loaded. So if your total weight is within spec you can tow it but should you? That also depends on several things. Where do you live? Mountains, or the plains? Big city or a dual area? How far do you plan to travel each trip? Nearly every trip we make is over a thousand miles and involves at least one big city and mountains or hilly areas. The biggest factor in determining the final answer is your experience in towing heavily loaded long trailers. I've been towing since I could drive with lots of experience all over the country so I don't have an issue in towing a trailer at its max when set up to do so . The last factor to consider is comfort. I can guarantee you this will be a very uncomfortable set up to tow. You will never be able to relax and enjoy the trip which will hurt the whole RV experience to the point you will either get rid of the TT to get a smaller one that you can tow easier, trade for a bigger truck to tow the TT or just completely get rid of the TT because you just can't enjoy it. Right now in a lot of states regardless of what you have signed you don't own it until you have taken actual possession again depends on the laws in your state. Check with your states AG office for the definitive answer and don't rely on what people THINK is the law.Or consult an attorney for your rights in your situation. I would certainly NOT take possession of the TT until I found out what my legal rights are. Once you take possession you will have to spend a lot of $$$ to correct the situation. ask yourself which do you like more the TT or the truck? If you really like the trailer and plan to use it a lot then switching trucks now may be the best solution . Only plan to use the TT a couple times a year then working out a solution with the RV dealership may be the best option. You have a lot of options now before you actually take delivery. If you only plan a few short trips locally in fairly flat areas and you have substantial towing experience,which I'm doubting, you could make it work but not the idea situation regardless. Correct it NOW or prepare to spend $$$$ later . Good luck

kl1200r
Explorer
Explorer
that is a lot for a 1/2 ton not to mention the brakes and transmission, you are going to have a lot of sway especially if it is windy, my thought is maybe it is time to treat yourself to a 3/4 ton. What a perfect Christmas present.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Been a lot of opinions/advice here so far...
But, to cut through all of it.
Once you load up your trailer and truck with gear and family for a real life camping trip - you are going to be over your PAYLOAD rating....period.

Good advice has been to work with the dealer. You may take a hit.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
When did you buy the trailer? Most states have 48-72 hour "Right of Recission" laws. That equates to two - three business days where you may be able to get your money back. Although you should have checked the weight rating on the truck prior to your visiting the RV dealership, I would contact the dealership manager and explain (politely, at least at first) you feel that the misinformation the salesperson gave you puts you and your family at great risk as well as others on the road. There's always the tactic of threats, i.e. going to the AG's office, BBB, etc., but if you start out polite you might be surprised.

I hate to point this out but it drives me crazy. Many states have a "right of Rescission" law but it only applies when someone comes to your home and the contract is entered into there. These laws were enacted to protect consumers from shady aluminum siding and driveway repair people. There are also a lot of conditions that must be met in order to back out of even these types of contracts. They DO NOT apply when you go on a dealer's lot or store and make a purchase. There may be a state that does allow this but I haven't heard of one. The problem with posting this erroneous information is that it perpetuates the notion that one can enter into a binding contract and then change their mind.

If I was the OP, I'd throw myself to the mercy of the dealer and see if they would rather have a happy customer or one who hates his new setup. I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen though.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
When I was in the car business, until the customer took actual possession of the vehicle, then the contract wasn't fulfilled and they could still back out of the deal. Since you stated that you're not taking actual ownership until next week, you still should have some leverage. I would think that it would work this way in the RV business (but I'm not 100% sure)

#1. Call the bank to see if the deal has been funded yet. If they haven't you still hold all the power. If they have paid the dealership, explore what options you might have with getting the deal voided if the dealership isn't able/willing/interested in working out a deal that will be a "win-win" for both parties.

#2 Talk to the dealer. You can go in and be a "a-hole" right off the bat and probably get alot of resistance and reluctance to work with you, or you can work with them to try to find a way where you still get a camper that will work with your current TV and the dealership will still get to make a sale.

I really don't think it's "doom & gloom" at this point
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry that you arrived here AFTER buying the truck & trailer. We would have had you buying a medium duty truck or a Peterbuilt conversion in no time at all:).

Seriously, there is no substitute for the confidence & safety of driving a truck well within spec for its loadings.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My "SURE YOU CAN TOW THIS UNIT" still sits in my CAMP BACK YARD.

We went for the FLAGSTAFF 28-foot 5th wheel RESS8528 and had the 2004 F150 truck back then with 3:73 gears.

Got it home just fine and made a couple of short trips with no problem. Heading down I81 on a Gatlinburg trip got as far as the second long grade hills and found out it wasn't for us coming down on the other side of mtn roads.

Didn't have a good control feeling for sure. Turned around at the next exit and headed back for the house.

It makes a great second house situation for us - visiting grandkids love it...

Made a couple of close by trips to local state parks. Maybe have around 400 miles on since 2008... We got the OFF-ROAD POPUP TRAILER after that and have pulled it all over the southern states and as far west as OKLA and TEXAS...

Always though we would trade up with the truck but ended getting the same size newer truck after a few years.

I didn't even add the 5th wheel hitch in the newer truck bed.

Just can't go with what the RV SALES bunch says...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
irish4 wrote:
Think I messed up

Yep you did ... too much trailer or not enough truck. Try and have dealer work with you to get a smaller better matched trailer.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't care if I was within the weight limits or not; there's no way I'd tow a 35' TT with a F-150, especially a f-150 on the borderline of being maxed out.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
irish4 wrote:
My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge and buy an RV. We visited a local major RV dealership, and the first question asked was what am I using as a TV. We had just purchased a 2012 F150 FX4 a couple of months back as our first truck, so I gave them the information I had from the window sticker stating I had the tow package with a 3.73 gear.

I was told that I could haul 11,300lbs so I was gtg for almost anything on the lot, so after some looking and many trips back we settled on a 2013 Springdale 303BHSSRWE for $17,900.

I was talking to a friend at work regarding our new purchase and he stated that we might have bit off more then we could chew, and that we needed to check our trucks GVWR. Well after looking at the sticker on the inside of my door we found out that its only 7200# which led me to find out that our max trailer weight is 9700# not the 11,300 stated at the dealer.

I don't know for sure if we messed up really bad, so I am looking here to find out.
Here is the info I know:
TV:
2012 Ford FX4 Eco boost V6
GVCW: 15,500
Max trailer weight: 9,700
GVWR: 7,200
Front GAWR: 3,750
Rear GAWR: 4,050
I went to a weight station and got the current numbers for my truck with full tank and me in it.
Front axle: 3,320
Rear axle: 2,700
GVW: 5,920

TT:
Weights done at dealership by my request.
Hitch weight: 900
Weight w/bottles and battery: 7,820
Fastway WD hitch and sway

We pick up the trailer for the 1st time on Friday 12 December. Please someone smarter then me in this let me know if we just wasted money on a trailer I cant tow safely.

You might want to call the dealership with the sad news, and ask about changing to a lighter weight model. At least you have not signed the final loan paperwork on this unit, and you should be able to change your mind about it.

Will you be over the GVWR? Probably. Unsafe? Not really.

The 'listed' hitch weight might be accurate, or might be off by as much as 200 pounds. Once you have loaded the trailer, then the hitch weight will change, perhaps by another 200 pounds? Not saying that it will ever go over 1,000 pounds of hitch weight, that is pretty high on a 8,000 pound trailer. But if all the conditions are right, then the fresh water tank might be really close to the front, and might add more weight that you desire on the hitch. Probably the fresh water tank is just forward of the axles, so most of it's weight will be on the trailer axles, not the hitch.

As someone stated, the weight distribution hitch will come in a crate, about 100 pounds of steel! Then add 900 pounds of hitch weight, and your 'generous' 1,300 pounds of cargo has pretty much gone away, leaving little room for passengers without going over the 7,200 GVWR.

Look back at the 80's and 90's. Most trucks where over the GVWR and the owners never took it to a scale, so they blissfully drove down the freeways un-aware! You will be within about 300 pounds of your GVWR.

If you could find a trailer with a 650 - 700 pound hitch weight, that would be much better.

AS far as power, the truck can handle 10,000 pound trailer, even if you will be a little over the tow capacity with regards to the 3.73:1 rear axle ratio. The trailer will lower the rear of the truck by about 2", and that is not to bad. Just like loading it up with 1,000 pounds of gravel, it is fine for your truck and it's factory springs.

Are you sure that the hitch weight is really 900 pounds? Do they have a scale or something? Or rely on the manufactures published weight or based on a scale at the manufactures that measures EACH RV leaving the factory? Yours is probably within 200 pounds of the 'average' Springdale 303 trailer. But even production units can change from one unit to another.

Yes this is a very common question. Many write saying "I bought a 2500 truck and the dealership said their diesel pickups can tow anything!" And they are right - the Diesel F-350 and dually 3500 series trucks can tow just about any fifth wheel and carry the 5,000 pound pin weight with no problems. The 2500 series trucks are limited to about 2,000 pounds of pin weight - about what the cargo rating is on the specially equipped F-150 Ecoboost. The new 2.7L F-150 Ecoboost has a even higher cargo rating, due in part to a much lighter engine! That still has over 250 HP! I think that some of them have a 2,500 pound cargo rating now! That is with the aluminum body and it is 700 pounds less curb weight.

Still I think that you can tow a slightly shorter trailer with ease. Ask about what your options are to change to another model. If not, perhaps something in your credit rating or whatever can change the deal to a no deal.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com