cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking aobut going solo

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about going solo for a while and have some questions. I think a 25' RV is physically big enough for living but I think I want to take a small car with me. I know I will not need something over 30'. The car would be handy for side trips. Has anyone towed a small car with a 25'? is it too much of a strain?

1 buy a 30' class A or C so towing is OK

2 buy 25' with no car and call it a day

phil
26 REPLIES 26

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
We spent four years in a 24' Isata motor home. The first year was with no toad and it was doable but became confining. We bought a Pontiac Vibe, 5 speed manual and towed it for the next 60,000 miles or so. No problems encountered and much more satisfying.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
2,200 lbs! meh. 😛 Try flat towing a smart car - curb weight is only 1,800 lbs

Yah I know. Even lighter that way. The blue smart looks great behind your rig. Looks very "smart". (Sorry, couldn't resist)
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
2,200 lbs! meh. 😛 Try flat towing a smart car - curb weight is only 1,800 lbs

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Ding ! What a hot setup !

Tim

Thank you. Works great for us. Its seen a lot of miles both on and off the trailer. It also has a hitch so it can pull its own trailer.

And it also handily pulls its tent trailer and Kayak. Great little combo. (This is our black beauty, the other one is our Burgundy Bomb)

Great for overnighters at local lakes.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Ding ! What a hot setup !

Tim

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
There's someone in my cg right now who's towing a Smart Car 4 wheels up. The whole rig can't weigh all that much.

Probably looks something like our little baby. Total weight around 2200 pounds...including the trailer.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
There's someone in my cg right now who's towing a Smart Car 4 wheels up. The whole rig can't weigh all that much.

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
wow thanks for all the fast responces! I guess I will be OK with a VW golf or Jetta

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
My situation isn't quite the same as yours, I'm a solo full-timer, but I have a travel trailer + truck instead of motorhome + toad. I don't know much about the tow capacity of various motorhomes, but I do want to say that a small RV you can leave behind with a regular vehicle that you can drive around in has been a great combo for me.

I travel in such a way that I park the RV for longer periods of time and then explore the area in my truck and that sort of traveling favors having a separate vehicle. Having just a small motorhome favors the kind of traveling where you're always on the move, then like a previous commentor said you just do your shopping in transit. Which is the "better" option depends on what kind of traveling you like to do imo.
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
zippyphil wrote:
I am thinking about going solo for a while and have some questions. I think a 25' RV is physically big enough for living but I think I want to take a small car with me. I know I will not need something over 30'. The car would be handy for side trips. Has anyone towed a small car with a 25'? is it too much of a strain?

1 buy a 30' class A or C so towing is OK

2 buy 25' with no car and call it a day

phil
To answer your question directly usually it is less of a strain on the MH drive train on a smaller Class A than a larger heaver one. If you think about it a 30 ft Class A has the same engine and transmission as a 38 ft one, only much lighter so your total weight is less pulling a hill. Most have hitches that will tow 5000 lbs. I would get a 30-32 ft class A with at least one or two slides or a full wall slide and a small tow car less than 3000 lbs. I think a 25 ft Class A would be too small for you. Also I would look for one with full basement storage (not the little cut out doors) and one with at least 80 gals of FW unless you plan on staying in FHU cg's every night.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My wife died in May this year. My daughter said I should get a smaller RV. I looked and realized that the smaller you go the smaller the tanks also are. With my 38' I can sit in a park with no hookups, except electric, take a daily shower, cook and use the bathroom with no problems for a little over a week without having to refill or dump any tanks. Of my 4 MHs we have owned this one gets the best fuel MPG. That I credit to the improvements over the years on engines.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am now solo in the 30-foot C my wife and I bought for travel adventures together, and road trips with the children and grandchildren. 30 feet feels too big for me now, but is still good for the adventures with the kids. It is also probably about the right size (equivalent to a 23-26 foot trailer) if I were to full-time alone.

When traveling, we never pulled anything, because we never stopped anywhere for longer than two nights. All our shopping and "running around" was done enroute from place to place, all our sightseeing done in the motorhome, most of it on the road between RV parks and campgrounds. We did not regularly visit major cities, at least not in the RV. We would prefer city center hotels to a commute from RV parks on fringes of, or outside, a metro area.

Now alone, I could probably solo in a smaller C motorhome, 23 to 26 feet, equivalent to 18-22 foot trailer. But also thinking about a trailer.

Going out to the lake for a few days to a couple of weeks at a time, I now to a vehicle to get around. First it was a 3500 pound compact pickup truck, now a 2500 pound subcompact car. Before my wife died, she would drive out independently so we would have her car to get around (we are talking about locations 15 to 50 miles from home).

Size of RV versus what you can tow? Most often, the smaller RV can tow more than the big one, Cs and A gassers, particularly on Ford chassis. Any E-450 C should be rated to tow at least 5000 pounds (typical RV manufacturer rating), as there is a 6000 to 7500 pound cushion between maximum weight for the RV and maximum combined weight for flat towing. A 26-foot A gasser on F-53 chassis weighing less than 16,000 pounds, that cushion for flat towing is more like 10,000 pounds, though the RV manufacturer has downgraded it to match the towing equipment installed (5000 is typical).

Even most type B motorhomes on E-250, E-350, Express 2500 and 3500 vans will have 4000 to 6000 pounds of flat towing capacity left when at full weight as a RV.

Smaller size reducing what you can tow, that is going to happen when you go to a RV with a lower capacity chassis, like earlier Sprinters (the Sprinter has been getting beefier as they evolve to our market) and possibly some of the recently introduced motorhomes, B and C, being built on other Euro vans, or the C motorhomes that Winnebago built on the VW T4 van in the late 90s, early 2000s.

If you are going into big cities, and want to do that travel by motorhome, a small towed vehicle is a good idea simply because even a small motorhome is going to be difficult to park in some places you will want to visit, and those places will be some distance from where you find a RV park or campground. We were pretty lucky most of the time finding RV parks with access to public transportation, but that is not going to happen everywhere, because sometimes the RV parks are too far out, and sometimes the metro area lacks an adequate transit system.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
My parents had a small class C, (24 ft long) and they towed a Chevy Cobalt (only abt 2000 lbs). It was set up to tow 4 down and was very easy to tow. I took them on their last long trip driving it, and would forget I was towing. Periodically I would wonder why that car was so close behind me, then realize it was the one I was towing.

It was great to set up MH and then be able to drive small car through towns for sightseeing and running to the store. Even though the MH wasn't big, I much preferred driving the car into the historic districts and in traffic.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Previous unit was a Winnebago Aspect, 26A, length 27'. Some considered it a B+, some said C. Ford V-10. Towed a 2006 Chev Cobalt, weighed about 2800 lbs. No problem. Traded the Cobalt for a Fiat 500 and don't even know it was back there.

Use a Blue Ox Tow Bar, found that the easiest to hook-up by myself.
I am not a solo RVer, but husband is handicapped, so I do almost all of it myself.

Would not have wanted to use the Aspect for town errands, etc. Easy to drive, but to disconnect utiities and reconnect when returning,
toad much better. Never any issues towing it.