cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Took the plunge, got a good used hybrid

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here we go! Got a 2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB in great shape for $5500.

Looks identical to this:

This is not our first RV, but the last one was only for living in for a year, and wasn't in any way road-worthy. Just needed shelter back then. So this is basically our first true RV.

The last owner clearly took good care of it. He even kept all the manuals and paperwork. Sleeps up to 10, weighs 4870lb dry, and using the tent end is not strictly required, for there are beds for 6-8 if it's closed up, and the table/couch is still usable while closed, unlike hard-sided bed slideouts. What a great design. I think we'll keep this in the family for a long time. I know that the later Fleetwoods were not known for their reliability, but we'll try to keep on top of repairs and keep it under shelter, which should go a long way.

Has a decent sized shower and a flat-bottomed tub, not a step tub, so kids can bathe. Electric tongue jack, passthru basement storage, and all three kids can have their own submarine-style bunk (after installing curtains on the bunks). Mom and dad can have the back half without pulling out the tent end. Will put curtains there, too. And mother-in-law (who I get along with swimmingly) can tag along as well.

Decent kitchen, although no oven, which disappointed the wife who likes to cook. We'll just use a camp oven on a propane stove outdoors. As a bonus, it doesn't heat up the indoors. So in the end that may even work out better.

Tires were somewhat dry-rotten and likely the originals. I had to tow it 50 miles last night because no tire stores were open. I was praying the whole time, and riding at 45mph, with the tires pumped up to their max PSI. Made it, no issues :B New tires are purchased and going on soon.

No swaying, even though I don't yet have an anti-sway hitch. I wasn't over the weight carrying capacity of the TV so I hadn't yet gotten a WDH. I think the only reason it didn't sway was because I overloaded the tongue and didn't go more than 45mph. When it's go time I'll use a tongue scale and do it right. Thinking maybe a Harbor Freight hitch. Anyone disagree? Lots of good reviews. The camper already has the snap-ups mounted from the previous owner ๐Ÿ™‚
http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-weight-distributing-hitch-system-67649.html

Battery is toast, some locks don't turn, the vent fans need oiling/replacing, the smoke/CO detectors are broken, the there is some UV damage to lights/a few seals/the awning, a bit of cracking and delam in the bathroom, window seals need caulking, but overall it's in surprisingly good shape for its age. No leaks, strong floor, cold AC, hot furnace, clean fridge, good bed tent fabric. Seat fabric is sharp, except one mattress has a few stains. I'm having a friend give it the once-over. I think the last owner hardly used it, then finally decided to get rid of it.

I took the day off yesterday to do all the necessary running around. To my surprise, I had probably my best ever visit to the DMV -- in and out in 10 minutes with a woman who was cheery, efficient, and professional. :E

I had a pleasant surprise with the brake wiring adapter. I only saw the 4 flat plug on my 2003 Expedition and thought I needed a 7 round to 4 flat adapter. But Camping World told me they don't sell them, because it requires a significant amount of vehicle-specific wiring. The Ford dealer (crazily enough, right next door) told me that if you know what you're doing, that can take an hour. Someone like me would probably take all day, and I didn't have the parts or the time. Disappointed, I walked around to the rear and saw -- cool! The truck already had a 7 socket :S I thought I was going to have to tow it another day. That would have ruined my plans.

I had to mount the brake controller (Tekonsha Primus iQ) but didn't have a drill. Found someone with a drill, and he took 15 minutes out of his busy schedule to mount the clip. It so far seems like a great controller, and seemed to be a good deal at $99 (with membership). I had to make one semi-emergency brake last night and it took it with stride. For my first time driving a trailer that size, I was very pleased. I took the time to warm up in the RV parking lot, did several loops, adjusted the controller, backed it up once or twice, and I'm glad I did the practice. After 20mins I was totally at ease with it.

I had signed up for GoodSam the night before online, but when I went to Camping World they couldn't find me in the system. Seems that when you signup online it takes 48 hours, but when you signup in the store it's instant. She understandingly gave me a one-time courtesy discount. I was very pleased by that. I need to thank her by writing her manager.

This RV is an answer to prayer, for we have a few specific needs that this RV will address. And I'm surprised just how smoothly overall my purchase has gone. I'm accustomed to a lot of bumps in the road for new ownership of vehicles. Thank you God.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
5 REPLIES 5

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
We moved to our hybrid from a PUP and havne't regretted it once. I've always liked that floorplan, but can't tow it. Nice choice.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice like that floor plan looks like it was taken care of

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good from here and a great price...you have people trying to charge that much for older pop ups.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

powhatanone
Explorer
Explorer
Great layout, very nice; good luck. Sounds like you got a great deal.
Can't wait for my hybrid which should be here by mid March.
Good Camping all!

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking TT.
I upgraded from a PUP to a Jayco Hybrid in back in Aug. I love it! Still have a "PUP feel" but all the "modern day conveniences"
Enjoy your TT