Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade In question

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

About two months ago I Purchased ( Financed) a 2012 Trailmanor camper Mini 19RD.. Its a pretty nice camper however I think I like to have something a little bigger.

Has anyone traded in there camper ( still owe on it ) for another one?

I know I may have to carry some of the loan.

Joe
12 REPLIES 12

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
There is one up side to trading even though you might take a loss-liability. Once the RV dealer takes it, you are off the hook. If you don't take too much of a bath, having some peace of mind may outweigh the monetary consideration.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
bigjoey38 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice... Guess I will keep it for now and might do some mods...

Just do your best to sell it vs trading it when the time comes. I'm in my 4th TT to date and have taken a beating for this very reason.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your advice... Guess I will keep it for now and might do some mods...

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't read all comments but if you wanna learn a lesson from me....sell it out right and pay your loan off so you DONT have a trade to deal with when it comes time to purchase the new one. MOST...not all..but most dealers will wipe the floor with you. I ended up only getting $8k for a camper I owed $15k on.....just to get out of it. Sure.....I went from a neg equity to pos equity situation, but I paid WAY more for my new camper than I should have.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
For starters, go to the dealer where you want to make a trade. Then you will see what the actual figures are and what you are up against. I think the figures will shock you.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Many folks don't realize it but you rarely get more than wholesale for your trade in and often less.
They may play with the numbers to fool you but dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail. They couldn't stay in business otherwise.

So with depreciation on your rig and your trade in at wholesale you may have to spend/finance more than you might think.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
You might try to find someone wanting to trade for a smaller camper to. May be worth a try any way. Good luck!
Jim

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
About two months ago I Purchased ( Financed) a 2012 Trailmanor camper Mini 19RD.. Its a pretty nice camper however I think I like to have something a little bigger.

Option 1: Tough it out until next year as you might be in better shape financially with the loan. That will have to be balanced off against depreciation.
Option 2: Not always feasible but if you add some cash you might be able to keep loan payments the same.
Option 3: Sell privately as you'll get more money. Hopefully this would be enough to pay off your loan with some cash left over. Wait until next spring to buy again. Take the money you'd be spending on loan payments and put them in the bank to use as a down payment.

Reassess to see if it's a matter of size, layout or style before you make any decisions.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
The last three trailer changes we've done trades. I always look at it where I'm willing to pay them to sell it for me. Two were ones we owned, one financed. Ironically, two years ago we changed cars, didn't trade, it took about 45 days to sell and the KBB value dropped $1000.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
good luck, the summer is ending. and 2016 are out.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
bigjoey38 wrote:

Has anyone traded in there camper ( still owe on it ) for another one?

Sure, lots of people have.

If you are trying to ask what it's gonna cost you.....every situation is different but it's likely that you will take a killing. Things like RVs depreciate really FAST at the beginning.

Consider this carefully and don't bite off more than you can handle, financially.