cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer vs 5th Wheel

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
We are beginner rvers and are looking at both tag along travel trailers and 5th wheels. We do not want anything too big. I am retired and 70 years old. My wife is 60. We don't have a tow vehicle yet, waiting on what we decide for a RV. We do want one with "all season" with adequate insulation and heated tanks for winter use. We will mostly be camping in the north Georgia, Tennessee area, but may be up there sometimes in the winter. I know there is probably a post on here somewhere that makes a comparison, but I don't know where it is. Probably want to stay less than 30 ft. Due to my age and some Vietnam combat injuries, I would like to have something with electric levelers and as easy a set up as possible.. Adequate storage and good name brand. I am not a millionaire, but I don't want to go cheap on our selection of RV and ruin our experience. Comments? Recommendations? Any help will be appreciated. Be mostly just me and my wife. May be an occasional grandson. I know that I have not given you much info to go on, but please offer any and all advice.

Thank you
32 REPLIES 32

et2
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
valhalla360 and et2,
Why don't you two learn to quote somebody without quoting the whole thread? Sure makes for some boring and tedious reading plus a whole lot of scrolling. Only takes a few seconds to edit out the portion that has already been posted and just leave the last reply.
Barney

Yeah, thought about that after the fact. But I'm done with it anyway. The whole thing was a distraction to the thread anyway. I'm fine if you delete the nonsense.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 and et2,
Why don't you two learn to quote somebody without quoting the whole thread? Sure makes for some boring and tedious reading plus a whole lot of scrolling. Only takes a few seconds to edit out the portion that has already been posted and just leave the last reply.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

et2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
We've had them all and now our MH. Went from a travel trailer to a fiver to get more room and storage space. A travel trailer can be matched to most pick ups up to a 3/4 ton. Don't know if these have auto levelers now but I'm sure things have come a long way. They are a bit more harder to line up to hookup getting the ball in the right spot.

Fivers can be bought that have as much space and storage as you want. But then the tow vehicle has to be considered very carefully. They're relatively easy to hook up compared to a TT. However you mentioned you're 70. I was one never to consider a MH as thought fivers had it all. But my back started giving me problems and climbing around the truck to hook things up was becoming bothersome. We had a 1 ton dually and a huge fiver. Loved it!

But now we have a MH and no more problems to worry about. Toad is easy to attach and I don't have to climb around to do it or get on my knees. Leveling is as easy as pushing a button inside after stopping. I'll never go back to the other two.

Tow vehicles should always be considered carefully regardless of trailer type. I've seen plenty of TT having issues going down the road with the rear squatting too much and swaying back and forth. Nothing rocket science about selecting a tow vehicle but it's not automatic with a TT.

I don't buy the MH is easier idea. Our neighbors just brought home a new 5th wheel yesterday. Once in the site, he pushed a button and the landing gear dropped. He pulled the handle to release the hitch and then pushed a second button and it leveled by itself. I can't see how that is much more effort than unhooking the toad and pressing a button to level the MH.

I never said it was easier. It fit my desires not climbing around a pick bed because of my back. Just something for the OP to consider being older.

But to touch on the subject of leveling, the MH wins hands down. I can do it from the inside moving 3 ft from my drivers seat, and not get wet from the rain. 🙂

Can't help but think of the wizard of oz when I get these comments...help, I'm melting. :B

I suppose if you plan to sleep in the cockpit seat hooked up to a catheter that's an important consideration to not have to move more than 3ft. Reality is most retired folks can pick nice weather days to travel.

Then again, how do you back into your site without leaving the drivers seat? Last I heard, you can't back up more than a few feet with a toad and certainly not make a turn while backing.

Not saying there is anything wrong with a MH just that the difference in effort setting up is negligible if you compare similarly equiped rigs.

There are sites called pull through, no need to back up. And if needed, I can unhook the toad in 30 seconds. You still need to exit the truck to access your RV. Not so similar to me.

If you are limited to pull thru, you can typically just pull thru with the 5th wheel and not bother to unhook. That leaves it as just the horrible walk back the trailer which leaves it at pushing a button for the leveler.

I will agree, if your idea of camping is never leaving the rig, you have a slight advantage.

Of course thats if your fiver doesn't lift the rear wheels of your truck off the ground while leveling your fiver. Because you didn't unhook it and pull away. But that's OK your just trying to prove a point I guess, so common sense doesn't mean much. Sure makes for great conversation in the campground though.

I guess if you pay zero attention and are a general menace around machinery, that would be a concern. In that case, a MH is a better option but most times the pull thru sites are pretty level and it's not a concern. Then again many parks don't have pull thru sites anyway.

We rarely do it as we aren't in much of a hurry but a few times, we've dropped the landing gear and called it good if we are in late and leaving early the next morning. Never had an issue with lifting the back of the truck.

For a retired couple with the ability to pick their travel days, you really have to try to come up with the slightest advantage. Even if you do have to travel on a rainy day, it's just not that big of a difference.

Your the one that just said it was easy to push the button like it was no big deal, then just go into the fiver. That would make you the menace as you obviously don't have auto levelers. So not sure why you're commenting like you know all about them There is a specific procedure to getting them to level the fiver which could include the fiver being unhooked from the truck. I had them on my last fifth wheel. Your speculation and misleading comments aren't helping anyone except maybe yourself.

For what it's worth we haven't had one problem getting pull through sites wherever we've gone. The Internet is a great tool for planning ahead. Being full timers that should give you pleanty of time to plan ahead too. Been across the USA and never had a problem. We've been in pleanty of paved pull through sites which have raised our MH wheels off the ground when leveling. Having a fiver is a good thing for you, no argument from me.

But since you and I have completely derailed this thread I apologize to the OP. My original comments were meant to be things to think about.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
We've had them all and now our MH. Went from a travel trailer to a fiver to get more room and storage space. A travel trailer can be matched to most pick ups up to a 3/4 ton. Don't know if these have auto levelers now but I'm sure things have come a long way. They are a bit more harder to line up to hookup getting the ball in the right spot.

Fivers can be bought that have as much space and storage as you want. But then the tow vehicle has to be considered very carefully. They're relatively easy to hook up compared to a TT. However you mentioned you're 70. I was one never to consider a MH as thought fivers had it all. But my back started giving me problems and climbing around the truck to hook things up was becoming bothersome. We had a 1 ton dually and a huge fiver. Loved it!

But now we have a MH and no more problems to worry about. Toad is easy to attach and I don't have to climb around to do it or get on my knees. Leveling is as easy as pushing a button inside after stopping. I'll never go back to the other two.

Tow vehicles should always be considered carefully regardless of trailer type. I've seen plenty of TT having issues going down the road with the rear squatting too much and swaying back and forth. Nothing rocket science about selecting a tow vehicle but it's not automatic with a TT.

I don't buy the MH is easier idea. Our neighbors just brought home a new 5th wheel yesterday. Once in the site, he pushed a button and the landing gear dropped. He pulled the handle to release the hitch and then pushed a second button and it leveled by itself. I can't see how that is much more effort than unhooking the toad and pressing a button to level the MH.

I never said it was easier. It fit my desires not climbing around a pick bed because of my back. Just something for the OP to consider being older.

But to touch on the subject of leveling, the MH wins hands down. I can do it from the inside moving 3 ft from my drivers seat, and not get wet from the rain. 🙂

Can't help but think of the wizard of oz when I get these comments...help, I'm melting. :B

I suppose if you plan to sleep in the cockpit seat hooked up to a catheter that's an important consideration to not have to move more than 3ft. Reality is most retired folks can pick nice weather days to travel.

Then again, how do you back into your site without leaving the drivers seat? Last I heard, you can't back up more than a few feet with a toad and certainly not make a turn while backing.

Not saying there is anything wrong with a MH just that the difference in effort setting up is negligible if you compare similarly equiped rigs.

There are sites called pull through, no need to back up. And if needed, I can unhook the toad in 30 seconds. You still need to exit the truck to access your RV. Not so similar to me.

If you are limited to pull thru, you can typically just pull thru with the 5th wheel and not bother to unhook. That leaves it as just the horrible walk back the trailer which leaves it at pushing a button for the leveler.

I will agree, if your idea of camping is never leaving the rig, you have a slight advantage.

Of course thats if your fiver doesn't lift the rear wheels of your truck off the ground while leveling your fiver. Because you didn't unhook it and pull away. But that's OK your just trying to prove a point I guess, so common sense doesn't mean much. Sure makes for great conversation in the campground though.

I guess if you pay zero attention and are a general menace around machinery, that would be a concern. In that case, a MH is a better option but most times the pull thru sites are pretty level and it's not a concern. Then again many parks don't have pull thru sites anyway.

We rarely do it as we aren't in much of a hurry but a few times, we've dropped the landing gear and called it good if we are in late and leaving early the next morning. Never had an issue with lifting the back of the truck.

For a retired couple with the ability to pick their travel days, you really have to try to come up with the slightest advantage. Even if you do have to travel on a rainy day, it's just not that big of a difference.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

et2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
Not needed with a motorhome and a toad. IN fact, no need to go outside once I pull in. All done from the inside. Nice if its raining hard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Look, I'm 71 and tow a large (40') 5th wheel. If you're just planning on weekend camping, it probably doesn't matter whether you get a 5'er or a tt. Although I watched my S-I-L hook-up his tt with the weight distributing hitch, and no thanks. Now if you are planning on snow birding or staying longer in the unit, I'd have to say a 5'er fills the bill better. Others may disagree, but that's my opinion, after over 40 years of camping. The 5'ers tow well, are easier to hitch (IMHO), and generally have more storage space. But more importantly, you need to consider the type of camping you are going to do, and the features and floorplan of the unit you are considering. I've seen some beautiful units that have no counter space, limited storage and uncomfortable living arrangements, like tv in odd location from the seating, or only a couch or dinette to sit at. If you are thinking about moving to full-timing at some point, you are going to need to take a lot of stuff with you and will need more storage. Where do you keep canned good or spices and such? Do you consider having company, or are you claustrophobic? If so you may want to consider slide-outs to give you more floor space. Do you have a cat? where are you going to put a litter pan? Stuff like that all should be considered.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
In my 50's bought a travel trailer. In 60's bought 5th wheel, needed something easier to hitch. If I buy again it would be a MH. Never had a MH but think that would be easiest to get around in.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

et2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
et2 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

et2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
et2 wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
et2 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
kmbelt wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on steps as a deciding factor. Most newer travel trailers are 3 steps to get in and out, so if you have a real issue with steps you need to reconsider the RV lifestyle first.

That said, it's mostly trade offs. The biggest difference is a 5th wheel setup will typically be a bit more expensive but will tow much nicer. Not that a TT is dangerous or difficult to tow or anything.

Steps can matter when it comes to the difference in a 5er vs tt obviously. My 5er has 3 for entry and 3 for bedroom inside.

My point is: If the 3 interior steps will be an issue, odds are the 3 exterior steps will be an issue. If the exterior steps aren't an issue, odds are the interior steps won't be an issue either.

I'm just thinking of our use. I go to the front of the 5th wheel 2-3 times per day. I go in and out the door probably twice that. YMMV
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'